Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the tires on my 2008 (Cory Ness) Jackpot but can't figure out how to get the rear tire off. It looks like i need to take the mufflers off to pull the axle but I can't seem to get them to separate. I've loosened the clamps at the front and removed the bolts from behind the bracket but I can't pull them apart. I'm hesitant to pound on it or try prying with anything for fear of damaging the chrome. Can anyone tell me how to separate these?

Also while searching I found references to unbolting the rear shock as an alternative to removing the mufflers but that was in a kingpin forum. Would the same method also work for a jackpot?

Thanks in advance.

·
13,177 Posts
where the mufflers meet the header pipe there are clamps. Un do the clamps
Un hook the shock at the bottom.
Un do the axle nut now tap it enough to pull the axle plate out on the other side
Now jack the bike up

loosen all bolts before lifting bike off ground

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where the mufflers meet the header pipe there are clamps. Un do the clamps
Un hook the shock at the bottom.
Un do the axle nut now tap it enough to pull the axle plate out on the other side
Now jack the bike up

loosen all bolts before lifting bike off ground
Thanks but a little confused. Do I still need to do anything with the mufflers if I go the route of disconnecting the shock? I didn't think I had to do anything with the mufflers using that option.

Also regarding the clamps, I did loosen them but didn't completely remove them as they looked like they just slid apart and what information I could find online simply said to loosen them. Do I need to completely remove them to get them to pull apart? I'm guessing mine are just rusted together but I dont want to pound on them.

Thanks again.

·
13,177 Posts
If you have jack un hook shock and jack it up.
Tire will stay on ground and when you get bike high enough full tire out at a angle.
Look on youtube for video

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have jack un hook shock and jack it up.
Tire will stay on ground and when you get bike high enough full tire out at a angle.
Look on youtube for video
Are you sure this procedure works on a jackpot? I just removed the lower bolt on the shock (that wasn't easy and I sure hope I can get it back in) but when I lift the bike the tire still lifts with it. It looks like it's about 1" lower than before but still hidden behind the mufflers.

Any tips on getting that bolt back in? I have a nice lift but whether I had the full weight, partial weight, or no weight on the rear wheel it was really hard to get out. I suspect it will be harder to get back in.

·
Registered
640 Posts
different (kingpin) bike but i had to unbolt not only the shock but there were 2 arms that went with it. so 2 bolts total.gettin it back together wasnt easy but not too hard . 2 people is definetly better than 1.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
we all need help at times but!

buying a shop manual or downloading + printing one is what anyone that works on their bike needs. i recently created unneeded xtra work because i did not read the manual. ordered one the first night i brought the my 13 hammer home, first Vic for me + i love it!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
buying a shop manual or downloading + printing one is what anyone that works on their bike needs. i recently created unneeded xtra work because i did not read the manual. ordered one the first night i brought the my 13 hammer home, first Vic for me + i love it!!!
I looked at the service manual for an '06 jackpot (which should be fairly similar to mine) and it said to remove the mufflers. It doesn't really say how to other than to loosen the clamps, remove a couple bolts, then slide it rearword to remove. I just couldn't get it/them to budge. Anyway, I put it all back together and am taking it to the dealer to have them do it. They charge $68/wheel which seem reasonable.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
If the X bikes are the same, here's how this 77-1/2 year old did it sonny, but it requires a helper person.
+ Raise the bike on a lift--one of those two arm types.
+ Place a car jack under the rear tire and have helper person apply a wee bit of pressure to eliminate the stress from the shock bolts.
+ Remove the 2 shock bolts and have helper person slowly lower the jack all the way.
+ Remove axle and wheel.
+ Reverse process to replace wheel.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
doing your own work?

doing your own work is not for everyone as you need tools + equipment that cost $$. sometime there are friends close to help, then there is an independent. if you find a good one its always less than a dealer, he has a lot of overhead $$$. better let someone else do it sometimes rather than fxxx it up!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I don't do any of that shock dropping or exhaust removal crap. Not necessary.

The axle adjuster plate (flat plate w/marks on it) on the right side is slotted at the bottom. You push the axle far enough to the right to slip the adjuster plate out.... then you put the adjuster plate and nut back on the left side and pull the axle out from the left side.

IMPORTANT!!! Take a piece of emery cloth and de-burr the axle on the right side real well, then clean it off real good before you pull it thru the bearings.

Easy-peasy... Have never touched the shock bolts or removed the muffler... the engineers at Vic are pretty slick. If it looks hard to do, look again, there's an easy way.

EDIT: Just looked at the fiche... looks like the chrome swingarm is different and the axle has to come out the right side. Well... that sucks. Sorry. Ignore me, I was wrong.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
It seems all helpers are otherwise occupied when I want to work on the bike... When I need 3 hands I have to use my feet!
Yo, Bub! I have hands and you've never called me to help. :mad:

P.S., I can't go on Friday. I was reminded of yet another "thing" we have going on this weekend.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Pretty Wife is my helper person with the floor jack duties. Good deal too...she feeds me and I get to sleep with her.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I usually do my own maintainence/repairs on most things and have the tools but I'm hesitant to scratch or dent the bike so I'll pay the ~$70/tire to put the liability on the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts