Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2011 KP, went for 600 mile ride last weekend. First Vic i have owned. Handles great, put a set of X-BOW pipes on. Hate the stock seat, my wife says the rear seat felt like riding a 2 x 6. Have looked at the Vic touring seat with back rest and may be a Mustang. No experience with either. Looked at Vic bags but all seem too small.
If anyone can help me with the seat and bag issue that would be great.

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
The XC and XR have the answers to all your questions in stock form. Have you considered them before you went for the Kingpin? Don't get me wrong, the Kinpin's awesome. It was my first choice looks wise, but I ended up getting an XR for the comfy seat and large saddlebags.

You chose the better looking sister. Now you can't complain that she's not the best cook. They all have something special.

As far as your seat upgrade and bags there are quite a few threads already started and full of good info. Try searching the forum.

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
I just bought a 2011 KP, went for 600 mile ride last weekend. First Vic i have owned. Handles great, put a set of X-BOW pipes on. Hate the stock seat, my wife says the rear seat felt like riding a 2 x 6. Have looked at the Vic touring seat with back rest and may be a Mustang. No experience with either. Looked at Vic bags but all seem too small.
You've asked some excellent questions and there are some varied answers to them.

First of all, I had a Jackpot and not a KP, but they have the same basic suspension and somewhat the same handling characteristics.

The good news is Mustang does make a touring seat for your bike. The bad news is your bike will never be a touring bike. I might get slammed for saying this but the KP, Vegas, JP, and Hammer are all day cruisers and not meant to be long haul bikes.

Having said that, many have transformed the KP's and others of the Vegas-class bikes into pretty good medium range tourers with good seats, like the Mustang and Corbin, and even the Victory offering. I've read many people actually prefer the Victory seat over the Corbin or Mustang.

(A guy who's nickname is Rollin put 200k miles on a KP and lots of very long distance Iron Butt rides on his KP that's now in the Victory Hall of Fame (if I'm not mistaken))

Another option is to get whichever seat you like best and have someone, an upholsterer, tweak it to your satisfaction.

The biggest difference anyone will find between the Vegas-class Cruisers and the Vic Tourer's (Vision, XC/XR) is the suspension and then only on the back end. The Vegas-class bikes have 3" of travel whereas the Tourer's have almost 5". May not sound like much but it is when it counts and the tourer's have air shocks that can easily be pumped up or down depending on the need.

Ok, that's all I got for now, but if you have any more questions; there are lots of great people on this forum to help out. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
RE: Seat and Bags

I am surprised the senior members never seem to mention the show off your KP thread. It is a great pictorial display of different configurations for the KP. I personally spent mid 500s for a seat upgrade that was done by a custom seat maker using my stock seat as a base and purchasing a separate sissy bar for the back. This configuration has been comfortable on the hour to 2 hour rides I have taken. I have edge bags with ghost brackets which are smaller than you might want (and maybe not the style you are looking for). If you get bigger bags you have to start screwing around with relocating the turn signals. If you get a luggage rack you can get a touring bag for the back which would help with volume. You can do just about anything you would like including upgrading the supsension. All just a matter of money. On short stay trips I think the KP is fine and you can strip her down easily for around town if you so desire. I would have to agree that the real tourers are the XC/XR and Vision. I wasn't ready for that style yet. Good luck and really you should take a look at the show off your KP thread.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Victory hard bags definitely are small. I can fit a small half-helmet in the left side bag, which is bigger than the one on the right. That's big enough for what I use the bike for but your mileage may vary. If you care about volume at all, get yourself some leather bags from a good dealer. I had my bag choices down to the Victory bags or one of the following two dealers:

http://www.ccsaddlebags.com/saddlebags.html
http://www.chilhowee.net/motorcycle-saddlebags/SB2033.html

I would go with Custom Classic if I went leather. I called the owner and got a good sense of the bags, and found recommendations elsewhere. My main beef was that I didnt want Ghost Brackets pushing the bags out a few inches from the fender. That just doesnt look as good. But I like Crossroad's comment above: I picked the hot sister. I want her to look as nice as possible. You cannot beat the way that the Victory hard bags look. But they are small. That's ok, I like the hot sister to wear a tank top.

·
Registered
129 Posts
RE: Chrome

Have you posted pics on Show off your Kingpin thread Chrome? I agree with Chrome the Ghost Brackets do not look as good as molded hard bags, but they are easy to remove when you don't want them cluttering the look of your ride. Keyed camlock on the bag removes them in a couple of seconds. The removal does get harder with a better/wider passsenger seat. The bottom line is everything is a matter of taste and there are a lot of different tastes represented on the thread that I mentioned. Have fun and take your time deciding. Last thing you want to do is spend 100s/1000s of dollars to get something you don't like.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply. I did consider the XC XR, but was not ready for that yet. I just liked the way the KP looked and handled. I do not put a lot of miles on in a year, but do enjoy weekend cruise and the odd 3 - 4 day away. Just want to get a more comfortable touring seat that can take us further than a one hour ride. Has anyone used the VIC touring seat with backrest? From what i hear the Mustang is a better choice, than even the stock or Corbin ??
I have a luggage bag, but have no rack or sissy bar yet as that depends on the seat i choose. As for the bags, i may stay with the moulded KP, it is just a lot of money for plastic!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did consider the XC XR, but was not ready for that yet. I just liked the way the KP looked and handled. I do not put a lot of miles on in a year, but do enjoy weekend cruise and the odd 3 - 4 day away. Just want to get a more comfortable touring seat that can take us further than a one hour ride. Has anyone used the VIC touring seat with backrest? From what i hear the Mustang is a better choice, than even the stock or Corbin ??
I have a luggage bag, but have no rack or sissy bar yet as that depends on the seat i choose. As for the bags, i may stay with the moulded KP, it is just a lot of money for plastic!
I would be very wary of getting a Mustang seat. I consider the Mustang I bought for my Shadow ACE a waste of money. I got it because I heard from everyone on the Shadow forums that the Mustang was so much better than stock. It wasnt a BAD seat at all, but it wasnt worth the money and I never noticed a huge difference other than getting lifted an extra inch off the ground, losing the ability to flatfoot at rest. I have a hard time believing that Mustang is better than Corbin on any bike. Mustang used to be a lot less expensive than Corbin when you included the backrest, but the difference is less than it used to be and it's still over $500 for that seat. When you're in over half a grand, an extra hundred bucks or so for top quality doesnt mean that much. Corbin sure looks a lot nicer though and they use real leather.

Do you really hate your seat or is it your wife that can't stand it? I wouldnt be surprised if shes upset at not having a backrest. That means she's got to hold on for dear life for 3 hours, making the both of you uncomfortable. If thats the case you dont need a new seat. Getting a backrest combo for her will still cost you $400 or so but then you're done.

If you went the backrest-only route and you still hate your seat at the end of the season you could check out Mean City Cycles to have the stock seat refinished instead of outright replaced. That gives you an out in case you really do need a different seat. http://www.meancitycycles.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&view=frontpage&Itemid=227

A lot of that is guesswork on my part. I find the stock seat pretty comfortable and I've been putting it through 2-3 hour rides every weekend for the past month. It DID suck when I had a passenger clutching me for a ride or two, but that's not the seat's fault.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm having the same problem with bags n seat. I want to ride my bike to work, 84miles round trip, but I need to bring with me a lunch box, hard hat, work sweater/fleece jacket, but also when I'm there I need room for my leather jacket, full face helmet, gloves.... I bought a tourmaster tour pack, looks like a bed roll, but it really has alot of space in it, also has parts that expand out by unzipping, it was only 89bux and it does its job. Mounts with elastic around the sissy bar and also straps down. thumb up

Now the seat thing. I have a Mustang wide touring vintage seat driver&passenger #76511. I hate it, it is too big for my butt and when I come to a stop it pinches the back of my legs by my butt cheeks. When I ride for awhile, like to work, my tailbone area is numb and my legs fall asleep. After riding the freeway 35 miles then hit an offramp to a stop, I really question if my legs are going to work so I can hold the bike up. (I cant feel my legs!) When I get to work I am absolutely exhausted, my legs, it feels like I've been ran over by a truck. Then I go thru it all again on the ride home.:mad:

I am 6' w/30in. waist, average build. This seat came with the bike when I got it. I want to buy a stock seat and 2up and mod them to my liking, I've done it before with different bikes so I'd like to try this first. I should've got a XC!:eek:

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey ChromeWeasel

That is good feedback. Have you had any experience with the upgrade to the Vic passenger tour seat. the catalogue pictures looks like it is larger ? If one could get me by the season so i can look at a custom refit!

No question that not having a backrest is part of it, but the passenger seat is very small. I like my seat better that the one i had on my old Mean Streak (yah i seen the Light). I have looked at the Corbin but have had no experience with one. All i hear about them is that the are very hard and it takes a long time to break in ?

I understand that the Mustang sets you back 1.5 inches and that the corbin raises you about 1" ??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey ChromeWeasel

That is good feedback. Have you had any experience with the upgrade to the Vic passenger tour seat. the catalogue pictures looks like it is larger ? If one could get me by the season so i can look at a custom refit!

No question that not having a backrest is part of it, but the passenger seat is very small. I like my seat better that the one i had on my old Mean Streak (yah i seen the Light). I have looked at the Corbin but have had no experience with one. All i hear about them is that the are very hard and it takes a long time to break in ?

I understand that the Mustang sets you back 1.5 inches and that the corbin raises you about 1" ??
I dont think you can upgrade just the passenger seat by going to Corbin, Victory, or Mustang. My understanding is that 'solo' seats with passenger pillons aren't compatable with the default. You could call your dealer and check. You can also check to see if the solo seats are Corbins. They look like it, and they advertise those seats are lower than the default. I'd call the vendor/dealer for any questions about seat size, actually. The Mustang may be lower, but you'd also want to see if it's wider up front if you're not tall. Mustang advertizes a wide seat, which pushes your legs out, which means you need longer legs to flatfoot.

Another possible option for your wife is a passenger seat extender, if she's not riding all the time: http://www.buttybuddy.com/butty_buddy.asp?ID=1
http://www.seatsaddle.com/

If you decide to go with a touring seat after all you may want to check this site. They have discounts on all Victory hardware:
http://www.purepartspolaris.com/eshopprod_cat_6780-7609_prodtree_f2-0213-02215_product_1013279.LEATHER_TOURING_SEAT.htm

Any touring seat seems like overkill to me, but then again I'm a mostly solo rider and I'm not a big guy. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
129 Posts
RE: Seat

My wife hated the stock passenger seat. The stock drivers seat isn't any better in my opinion. Anyway maybe the best thing is to find a seat customizer and get your seat done the way you like it. In the mean time if you are interested in a cheap solution I have the small backrest that screws onto the bottom of the stock passenger seat. I think victory soaks you for about 180 bucks for this part at the dealer. I can send it to you for a reasonable offer and you pay postage. This might get you by until you store the bike for winter assuming you live in a climate that you have to do that like me. If not it may buy you some time. If you look on the Show off your Kingpin thread my bike is the red one on page 7 and the backrest I am talking about is on the bike in that picture. There is a red one on page 8 too so make sure you look for my signature. It is in perfect shape, but I now have a sissy bar for the back. Just let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My KP came with a Mustang seat, and it has it's good and bad. I think it is comfortable for longer rides, but I think it is too wide at the front. It feels like it interferes with the natural position of my leg when the bike is stopped. I can only have one foot flat on the ground comfortably. My wife loves the passenger seat and backrest though. As she says, she finally has a real seat to sit on.
As for the Vic hardbags on my KP, way too small. My old bike would haul all my stuff to work with room to spare. I had to buy a new smaller case for my laptop to be able to fit in the KP bag. I really like the look, but they are more confining than I thought they would be.
Hope you are happy with whatever you decide, but this is my $.02

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have an 07 Kingpin. Last winter, I put on a mustang seat, I Love the seat. Edge model 105 saddlebags, Edge mounting brackets, Victory risers 4 1/2" 1 1/2" pullback. Becareful if you put on risers, my cables were plenty long but I heard they vary year to year. I put on Memphis lowers and passenger floorboards, for the Misses. I wish the passenger floorboards were lower. Good luck.

·
Registered
368 Posts
In the past, I have owned both Mustang and Saddlemen seats, but not on my Pin.
The Saddlemen had a gel insert, that in the summer sun got hot as hell and made for some uncomfy riding until it cooled down some. The Mustang was the better choice of the two.
I also owned a set of Edge 105 plain Tek-Leather bags which I had fabbed my own brackets, and to this day I wish I'd kept them when I sold my bike. Excellent quality, and lots of storage room.
With the shape of the Kinpins rear fender, it's tough to find a bag that flows nice, and the Vic bags just don't cut it when you look at the capacity for the price.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Though apparently not everyone agrees, I think the Mustang seat is the one to have. I find it very comfy, even if it is big, and lets me enjoy riding my KP for long rides without any problem to my butt, back or legs. I also have the passenger seat with backrest, but have never used it as my bike is set up for solo riding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts