Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here and just got my first Victory, 2016 XC, about the problem:

When I ride it slowly I can feel a very tangible vertical movement like I'm riding on an uneven rоad with a light sequential bulges and recesses. No oiling on the forks, so I don't know from where to start. Should I first service the forks? Could it be a bearing or something?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated since we don't have an official dealer here and I have to rely on 3rd party service, but they don't have much experience with Victory.

·
Registered
130 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new Victory.

Second, is your rim bent?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Hm, I dont know, I replaced the tires with brand new as soon as I got it and the tire guy didn't said anything about a bent rim.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Check your bearings. Simple check, as long as you can get the front wheel off the ground. Not covered in the video below, but also check your front wheel bearing. spin the wheel and see if it binds on it's way around. also check for side to side play.

Reactions: ptfly

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Sounds like a bent rim or a bad tire. Get the front wheel off the ground and spin it. Hold something like the metal end of a screwdriver very close to the rim on one side and keep it unmoving. See if the distance from rim to screwdriver tip changes as the rim spins. Repeat for the other side of the rim and then do this for the tire.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If not a bearing, it may be your brake/rotor dragging at a spot on each revolution of the wheel - bent rotor, caliper stuck, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If none of these other suggestions work out, you might want to check the steering bearing and the oil in the forks. The bearing may need to be lubricated and torqued and the oil may be contaminated. I know it is only a 2016 but that is now about 4 years ago.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,893 Posts
If not a bearing, it may be your brake/rotor dragging at a spot on each revolution of the wheel - bent rotor, caliper stuck, etc.
Ding ding ding. One side sticking happened to me that felt scary at low speed.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Glad you got it straight.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Thank you very much for reporting back on the solution.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey guys, new here and just got my first Victory, 2016 XC, about the problem:

When I ride it slowly I can feel a very tangible vertical movement like I'm riding on an uneven rоad with a light sequential bulges and recesses. No oiling on the forks, so I don't know from where to start. Should I first service the forks? Could it be a bearing or something?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated since we don't have an official dealer here and I have to rely on 3rd party service, but they don't have much experience with Victory.
Welcome to the forum, from the land down under
Is the new tyre mounted concentrically on the rim? Jack up the bike and spin the wheel while looking for runout against a fixed point on the fork leg.
Is it a tyre with big tread grooves? I was surprised by the coarse patter of tread grooves at low speed when I first tried Avon Cobras.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
ObiSteve, Look at post #10 in this thread. The OP reports the problem was a tire.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
So turned out it was the tires at the end :/ Problem solved!
Was the bead not sitted properly on the rim?

Once I changed to a 160/60-18 front tire on my Jack-Hammer and it was dark in the tire shop, next day i fitted the rim and noticed that the bead was not seated properly, there is a small ridge on the tire that indicates that problem... I did not ride the bike like that so I can't say about handling issues

Happy to see you found the problem

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
315 Posts
ObiSteve, Look at post #10 in this thread. The OP reports the problem was a tire.
Oops, that should teach me to read through the whole thread before jumping in. But it probably won't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was the bead not sitted properly on the rim?

Once I changed to a 160/60-18 front tire on my Jack-Hammer and it was dark in the tire shop, next day i fitted the rim and noticed that the bead was not seated properly, there is a small ridge on the tire that indicates that problem... I did not ride the bike like that so I can't say about handling issues

Happy to see you found the problem

Andre using TaPaTaLk
Yes, it was fitted/sitted properly on the rim, before went for a replacements, we reinstalled both tires to make sure everything is well seated but still didn't fix the issue. I believe the problem was with the wires inside the tire.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bad news if a front tire blows at speed!
What tire did you install?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts