Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I am trying to install Lloyds timing gear in my 2012 vegas with x bow exhaust and I am stuck at removing the bottom hex bolt of the cam cover. It seems there isn't much clearance and the heat shield is coming in the way. I have tried ball end allen wrench but it doesnt fit due to the angle. It sucks when you are prepped to do the job and get stuck on something trivial

Any tips will be much appreciated

Fak005

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Can you post a picture please ? As I have a Jackpot similar to Vegas most of us installed the ATS and change +2 / +4 or +6 no problems getting the cover off the engine, did you remove the dipstick ?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Ohhhh that ain't good ??

Could you loosen the 2 bolts on the exhaust as HC posted ? Then you have a few more mm to play with ?

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
remove exhaust bracket bolts, loosen header bolts, remove forward control/brake assy and let lay or hang. Pull exhaust away from cam cover to get more room. Or you can simply try a ball tip long allen socket….but still may need to move exhaust out to completely remove bolt.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Sure looks like you will have to remove at least the heat shield and possibly the pipe. I have had this problem on other bikes and by just loosening the bolts on the rear pipe support, I could pull the pipes out just enough to slip in an Allen wrench that I had cut shorter than normal. I don't know what sort of support there is at the rear for your Victory pipes so this idea may or may not work.

G'day,

Vinish

·
13,188 Posts
fak005

He posted this question of facebook and wound up with some 30 answers even Kevinx told him what to do.
Now he is here asking the same question and getting the same answer.
Funny part is if he would of done the job he would be done by now and we wouldn't be wasting our time on him.

fak005 is one of those guys that check his oil at a gas station so he can get attention

·
Registered
445 Posts
fak005

fak005 is one of those guys that check his oil at a gas station so he can get attention
That's a bit harsh VJ? I'd rather have 100 opinions than 5 so I don't see an issue asking in multiple forums.

My guessing he's an analytical person who wants to do it right the proven way.

I'm actually a bit similar. In fact had someone told me my standard Hammer S air box already had plastic "Torque Tubes" in it, I wouldn't have ripped it out and put an S&S on it.

So maybe I didn't ask the right question in the right forum? But having plastic "Torque Tubes" in it is a pretty significant piece of information don't you think?

cheers

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Yup i HAD plastic torque tubes also and that pissed me off too

·
Registered
477 Posts
The pipe needs to come off, that's what I did and as far as plastic torque tubes in the factory box and you guys being disappointed......the box is still restrictive junk, don't be disappointed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pipe doesn't have to come all the way off. Just loosen the header bolts, then remove the rear bracket bolts and it will move enough to get at the bolt. Just did it on my '08 Vegas

·
Registered
445 Posts
The pipe needs to come off, that's what I did and as far as plastic torque tubes in the factory box and you guys being disappointed......the box is still restrictive junk, don't be disappointed.
Maybe I could have taken the sides off the airbox, taken out the K&N insert and attached two pods to the tubes?

Who knows. lol

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Perfect fit to make your own TT from the original Vic plastic TT inside the "box", the baseplate can be grinded smaller and make it look very professional ....

Only add K&N filters on it ... Also this plastic you can easaly weld or glue a small extention to fit 1 BIG k&n filter ??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Yeah Vindex has already pioneered the plastic torqutubes filter setup. I got a surprise when I cut mine up too.
Goes to show that the Vic designers were trying to get us as much torque as possible within the legal constraints of your EPA.
As far as the timing cover bolt goes I jimmied the clearance with a large screwdriver so I could get an Allen key in and remove the cover.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
fak005

He posted this question of facebook and wound up with some 30 answers even Kevinx told him what to do.
Now he is here asking the same question and getting the same answer.
Funny part is if he would of done the job he would be done by now and we wouldn't be wasting our time on him.

VJ shoots....
He scores!

·
13,188 Posts
MC Hammer
I think its different. What you were asking about is hidden under gas tank and was a good question. Cause you could not see and didn't know what was there.
But when your standing right there and can see what you have to do and do nothing but go on the net and ask a question about a bolt thats staring you in the face. Why would you ask. There are only a few choices. Pull the pipe ball end allen and so on.
Like I said if he wouldn't of sat on the net wasting his time he could of had it done. What made him think after getting some 30 answers on FB that ours would be any different.
No I'm not trying to be mean to you I'm just saying

·
Registered
445 Posts
MC Hammer
I think its different. What you were asking about is hidden under gas tank and was a good question. Cause you could not see and didn't know what was there.
But when your standing right there and can see what you have to do and do nothing but go on the net and ask a question about a bolt thats staring you in the face. Why would you ask. There are only a few choices. Pull the pipe ball end allen and so on.
Like I said if he wouldn't of sat on the net wasting his time he could of had it done. What made him think after getting some 30 answers on FB that ours would be any different.
No I'm not trying to be mean to you I'm just saying
Yep I understand you point and my response wasn't meant as a hard ass criticism of you mate. Sorry if it came across that way. I know that being the analytic guy I am can lead you into perplexed inaction at times and thus as much reassurance as possible is a bonus. But yeah, your point is valid sir.

thumb up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts