Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need your help folks.

I am chasing down a squeak/groan in the suspension of my 2010 cross Roads. I have done everything I can and it has come down to either the shock top spherical bearing or the shock itself.

I have the shock out and according to the shop manual I should be able to compress the shock and it should then return to it's normal length smoothly. I have removed the schrader valve from the air fitting so no air pressure in the shock.

I placed the bottom of the shock on the floor and I put all my weight on the shock but I am unable to compress the shock at all. I weigh 210 lbs. so I thought that should do the job. Should I be able to compress the shock or am I doing something wrong?

Your help will be appreciated.

Now I am going to start shopping for a used shock.:frown

UPDATE: I just took an 8' 2X4 and stuck the end of it under a loaded trailer, put the shock under the 2X4 about 12" from the trailer and I was able to compress the shock. I did feel some drag in the movement of the shock. I don't know if that is normal????

·
12,983 Posts
look at the rocker arm shaft. is it smooth. look at the bearing in the rocker. are they good. clean them with carb cleaner and inspec. if you have a bearing store in your town they would have new ones. grease the hell out of them. now drill and tap the bottom of rocker and put in a grease fitting. Auto stores sell them there cheap. Now when you get a new tire give the rocker a shot of grease

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
look at the rocker arm shaft. is it smooth. look at the bearing in the rocker. are they good. clean them with carb cleaner and inspec. if you have a bearing store in your town they would have new ones. grease the hell out of them. now drill and tap the bottom of rocker and put in a grease fitting. Auto stores sell them there cheap. Now when you get a new tire give the rocker a shot of grease
I did all that a year ago. every thing up there is perfect.

It seems to have come down to the shock or the shock spherical bearing.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If its cool out mine will occasionally squeak when I sit on it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just FYI I had bad squeak, ended up being bearing on
top of lowering link.

BTW you going to make any VOL rides this year?
I think it was your information the got me to service that bearing last year, It is in fine shape now.

I have no plans for a VOL ride at this time.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have located and ordered a used shock. When I get it, I will use my 2X4 and trailer test to see how it compares to my original shock, as far as spring tension and smoothness of movement. Stay tuned.

·
12,983 Posts
Kinda of shocked that you believe the rocker is good when we all know things happen and parts brake and can go bad

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kinda of shocked that you believe the rocker is good when we all know things happen and parts brake and can go bad
When I serviced the rocker last year, it was in perfect condition. Bearings well greased and pin was in perfect condition, no movement of pin in frame. Just because I had it out, I did a complete service on the bearings, rocker and pin. Cleaned out the old grease, inspected the bearings and after installing a zerk fitting in the rocker, repacked the bearings, greased the pin, installed everything and pumped the rocker fill of grease.

When I removed the rocker assembly this time, all was still in excellent condition and I was pleased to see the grease had squirted out the top vent hole that I created. I don't know if anyone has seen that before but it does work.:smile

That is why I believe the rocker is good.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well folks, today I received my replacement used rear shock. I wanted to do my 2X4 and trailer test to see how the compression compared to my old shock. First I removed the schrader valved from the air hose and that is when things went very wrong. The shock was laying on the carport floor with the hose side down after just having been removed from the shipping box. It turned out that the shock still had a good amount of air pressure in it and oil came shooting out of the end of the air hose. I quickly set the shock in an upright position and the oil turned to sputtering and then just air. What a dunce. I guess I lost about 3OZ. of the oil from the shock. I just assumed the air had been let out like my old shock. Wrong.

Now, I was thinking, how the heck am I going to get some oil back into that shock. I was going to ask you folks if anyone had done this task. Finely, it hit me, I will use my Dyna Beads tubing and a funnel to get some oil back in the shock. I have a bottle of 5W fork oil that I can use. I will set the shock upright and slide the tubing over the schrader valve fitting (without the schrader valve installed), install a small funnel into the other end of the tubing and slowly pour the oil into the funnel. It will be a slow and messy process but I think it will work. We will see tomorrow.

Today, I replaced or sealed up some split rubber hose fittings at the throttle body, with hi temp black silicone seal and I installed a new air filter.

Oh, by the way, I did the compression test and the amount of force was the same as my old shock but I think is was a little smoother moving up and down. It does take a lot of force to compress these shocks.

I will clean and grease the spherical bearing at the top of the replacement shock before installing it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yesterday, I was able to get about 2os. of oil into the shock and then it said enough. I may have over estimated the amount of oil I lost the day before.

It was quite a workout using the 2X4 and trailer to pump that shock 10 times but I got it done.

The spherical bearing at to top of the shock was in excellent condition but dry and a little stiff. I greased it up and rotated the bearing all around to get the grease worked in.

After installing the replacement shock and pumping the rocker fill of grease,I put everything back together including installing the saddle bags and seat. I lowered the bike from the jack. put air in the shock and sat on the bike. I jumped up and down on it------- No noise at all. It seemed strange after having that noise for so long. It was a wonderful feeling.

I will ride the bike tomorrow with my bike club, to a funeral for one of our members, for a final road test.

I was reading the shop manual for the shock and came upon this nugget of knowledge.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Getting rid of the noise makes it all worth it,eh Rich? Thanks for that last bit...I think. I have a spare shock I have been storing horizontally. Now I know what I have to do. :(

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting rid of the noise makes it all worth it,eh Rich? Thanks for that last bit...I think. I have a spare shock I have been storing horizontally. Now I know what I have to do. :(
Yes Ric. They need to be stored vertically with the spherical bearing at the top.:devil

I wonder, if left sitting vertically for some time, if you should still do the 10 compression's before installing and how long should they sit?

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I wonder, if left sitting vertically for some time, if you should still do the 10 compression's before installing and how long should they sit?
I wonder the same - will the oil trickle back to where it belongs over time if I stand it up?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I had my shock replaced at around the 1000 mile mark the first year I had it. I can almost guarantee my new shock was shipped with it on its side and the dealership had it for a week or so before they put it on and I am sure it was placed on its side then. I am also sure they didn't pump it 10 times before they put it on.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I had my shock replaced at around the 1000 mile mark the first year I had it. I can almost guarantee my new shock was shipped with it on its side and the dealership had it for a week or so before they put it on and I am sure it was placed on its side then. I am also sure they didn't pump it 10 times before they put it on.
I doubt if they pulled the Schrader valve either. lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had my shock replaced at around the 1000 mile mark the first year I had it. I can almost guarantee my new shock was shipped with it on its side and the dealership had it for a week or so before they put it on and I am sure it was placed on its side then. I am also sure they didn't pump it 10 times before they put it on. (OUOTE)

I think you are both right. So that would suggest that the oil will trickle down to were it should be over some time. Perhaps the pumping 10 times as to remove bubbles from the oil.

I road my bike with the replacement shock in it today and everything seems to be in good shape. Rides nice and no strange noise from under the seat.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You are right, I missed that part of it. No matter, 15k miles later the new shock is working like it should.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts