Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm looking for some good install instructions for the Stebel horn, my kit didn't come with any:confused: I have a wiring harness I've ordered already. I searched the forums but didn't really find anything that I needed. Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Use the wires that went to the OEM horn and be sure to install a relay.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did that but everytime I use the horn my flasher indicator and cruise control lights on the instrument panel briefly light up when pressing the horn button?? I'm using a 30amp fuse and using the old horn wiring (GY/BL) GRAY/BLACK attached to the fuse terminal 85 & 86.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
If you don't have these, get a package of 16 gauge black wire, some 1/4" female tab connectors, and a crimping tool with wire stripper. Follow the schematic in the link above and you're in. The relay can be fastened next to the battery. While you're there, make certain the battery terminals are tight. Its a good thing to place a star washer under each of the 2 bolts. They have a tendency to loosen.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
A) I added a Stebel Nautilus inside the fairing of my 2012 XCT shortly after I got it. For pics, see http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/#11 in my gallery, and the next half-dozen or so pics. Keep in mind, for anyone doing this, that you want a relay, you want the trumpets pointing down, and you want to use at least 16-gauge wire for your work.

B) I cable-tied the relay to the hole that formerly held the stock horm, and this is how I wired it (using a typical relay):

30: to positive (red) battery terminal, with an in-line 20-amp fuse.

85: black OEM horn connector.

86: white OEM horn connector.

87: one of the wires (either one) from the Stebel.

Negative (black) battery terminal: the other wire from the Stebel.

C) As you note and some others have reported, I too get a quick flash of the turn signals or something like that during the rare instances that I use the horn. I believe this is the result of some voltage blow-back -- as part of a senior moment, I forget the proper technical electrical term for this -- seen by the fuss-budget ECM. I think this can be cured by using a diode somewhere in the circuit, but I also believe that this is nothing to concern yourself about. As I say, I've had the Stebel wired this way for more than two years now, and it sounds loud and clear every time, no problems, etc.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A) I added a Stebel Nautilus inside the fairing of my 2012 XCT shortly after I got it. For pics, see http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct/#11 in my gallery, and the next half-dozen or so pics. Keep in mind, for anyone doing this, that you want a relay, you want the trumpets pointing down, and you want to use at least 16-gauge wire for your work.

B) I cable-tied the relay to the hole that formerly held the stock horm, and this is how I wired it (using a typical relay):

30: to positive (red) battery terminal, with an in-line 20-amp fuse.

85: black OEM horn connector.

86: white OEM horn connector.

87: one of the wires (either one) from the Stebel.

Negative (black) battery terminal: the other wire from the Stebel.

C) As you note and some others have reported, I too get a quick flash of the turn signals or something like that during the rare instances that I use the horn. I believe this is the result of some voltage blow-back -- as part of a senior moment, I forget the proper technical electrical term for this -- seen by the fuss-budget ECM. I think this can be cured by using a diode somewhere in the circuit, but I also believe that this is nothing to concern yourself about. As I say, I've had the Stebel wired this way for more than two years now, and it sounds loud and clear every time, no problems, etc.
Okay I just had to switch my batt pwr wire to (+)term the relay an move the new horn(+) wire to term 87 to match your setup, but I'm still getting the indicator lights to flash? I'm sure this is not normal, I would like to hear from other users who are using the Stebel horn and getting the flashing of your (Hazed Ind lights) & Cruise Ind light on your instrument panel>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts