Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke one of my chrome fork guards. Saw Kewl Metal set of chrome flamed fork guards for $150. Have not heard good things about Kewl Metal service. Does anyone have Kewl Metal chrome flamed fork guards? Is Kewl Metal service o.k.? How does Kewl Metal fork guards attach to the fork sliders? Any other resource for solid metal fork guards? Don't want to replace with the stock cheap plastic guards. Thanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've seen it posted elsewhere that the metal fork guards for the Kingpin models will work on the CC. I need to buy some myself. I'm considering both the Kingpin ones and the Kewlmetal ones. Both are about the same price.

There are also some flame ones around. I wouldn't personally want those because it would be really hard to clean around them without snagging towels on them and cutting myself. :)

Rob

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I have the chrome plain Kwel Metal guards. Ordered them while I was waiting to take delivery of my 2012. Quick delivery and a nice product. Attach to existing threaded holes in the lower fork tubes, very simple install. No idea what their service is like now, but I had a good experience.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Kingpin fork guards fit cross bikes too

I was being super careful not to break those plastic fork guards and then, after three years, I snagged one with a towel. I have a friend who has a Kingpin and it has chrome METAL ones. I ordered a pair through Honda East Toledo and got a 20% discount. They bolt to the inside of the axle carrier, nice and solid and look great.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
KewlMetal Experience and Problem

Funny, or strange, etc. -- the recent posts on KewlMetal, e.g., this thread and http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=82857 . Here's my recent dealings with KewlMetal ("KM").

A month or so ago, I received a present from a friend, the black version of KM's fork guards: http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=598 . The next week, I went to put them on, and found that the curvature on the side of them was very nearly or actually touching the brake rotors; see attached pic.

The directions say to pull them forward a bit, to make sure there's adequate clearance with respect to the fork-tube holders. There's no mention of pulling them sideways, which would not be good, anyway, because: 1) the metal doesn't bend that way, and; 2) as mounted, they are perfectly centered in front of the tubes, and you wouldn't want to change that.

So I did a few emails, and was phoned by the owner, Joe Gschweng, about this. He was perplexed, said that they have these on a lot of Cross -- and other -- bikes, maybe there was a manufacturing problem, etc. So, he sent me a package, containing new guards and a return shipping label, i.e., I now have two sets and a label.

I got that package a few days ago. I looked at the unopened package, called him back, and told him that they looked identical to the other ones (even though the package is slightly different). He told me to go ahead and open the package anyway, try to put them on, and see what happens.

I have time to get to this today, and intend to make a video of it, just to show everything from different angles. When done, I'll report back here.

My wheels and rotors -- all of that stuff -- is completely stock. Lots of farkles, but it's mostly electrical stuff; the mechanicals of the bike are stock.

So, a question and a comment:

1) Anyone else notice this extremely close relationship with these KM guards and the rotors?

2) My experience with the owner of KM has been positive, even if I have what I consider a problem with their fork guards. I also bought their heel shifter in 2012, and didn't have a problem with it, like it, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm just going to go with the Kingpin ones. $141 from Honda East Toledo. They're factory so you know the chrome will be good.

Rob

·
Registered
12,245 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
We had a member on here that was making metal replacements. I think it was fishslapr - does anyone that's been on here for a while remember this?

Added info: I found the thread and it looks like there were a couple guys looking into metal guards (including fish) but I didn't see anyone building to sell. Here's the link, the pics may help if you're any good at diy.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Never mind the video. I used the newly sent KewlMetal fork guards, and they may be a touch different from the pair originally sent, perhaps as a result of manufacturing tolerances.

In any case, I put the new ones on, and tightened the bolts securely (and used blue LocTite) with a 10mm box wrench. I measured the clearance between the curved portion and the brake rotors, using a combination of feeler gauges ("go, no go") that I had left over from a bike that needed the valves adjusted. The clearance on one side is about 0.06" and on the other about 0.08" (i.e., about a 15th and a 12th of an inch, respectively). My riding buddy was over -- he's more experienced with bikes in general and mechanical things, too, and pronounced that to be plenty of clearance, given the strength of the metal in the KM guards and that all of these things move together. He said that the only problem would be if my front wheel bearings disintegrated, in which case the rotor should have no problem carving out the guards.

So, I left these on the bike, am keeping these, sending the first pair back to KM.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Broke one of my chrome fork guards. Saw Kewl Metal set of chrome flamed fork guards for $150. Have not heard good things about Kewl Metal service. Does anyone have Kewl Metal chrome flamed fork guards? Is Kewl Metal service o.k.? How does Kewl Metal fork guards attach to the fork sliders? Any other resource for solid metal fork guards? Don't want to replace with the stock cheap plastic guards. Thanks.
sand man:

If you like, PM me with your address, and I'll mail you one of my stock chrome plastic ones (and you can reimburse me for the shipping when you get it), since I no longer need the stockers (see post above).

I'll save the other one for the next guy who Victory pulls a "gotcha!" on, with their cheap-ass plastic.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just to follow up on this... I got the Kingpin chrome ones. As mentioned, they work great. I just picked up some stainless M6 button head bolts to hold them on. I got 16mm ones and they just barely were able to fit in the lower holes. The parts list for a Kingpin specs 12mm, but I couldn't find any with the heads I wanted. A little medium Loctite and they should be good to go now. As a tip, you can use a standard T-handle allen wrench on both bolts if you line the wheel up correctly. There are holes in the disk brakes that will line up to the bottom bolt close enough to put the allen wrench in.

Rob

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
I got the KP ones too, but I attached them with hex head cap screws so I could simply tighten them with an open end wrench. I thought about button heads, but figured I could get them tighter with said wrench.

·
Registered
193 Posts
RICZ, I need to order a set of these as I just broke one of mine. Did you use a part number when you called Honda East Toledo? I'm just trying to figure out what to tell them when I call. Thanks!

I was being super careful not to break those plastic fork guards and then, after three years, I snagged one with a towel. I have a friend who has a Kingpin and it has chrome METAL ones. I ordered a pair through Honda East Toledo and got a 20% discount. They bolt to the inside of the axle carrier, nice and solid and look great.

·
Registered
372 Posts
RICZ, I need to order a set of these as I just broke one of mine. Did you use a part number when you called Honda East Toledo? I'm just trying to figure out what to tell them when I call. Thanks!
You can just look up the parts from a Kingpin model. That's what I did. Ended up with these two: 5247014-156 (RH), 5247013-156 (LH). Ask them for the discount (20%?). I think my total was $141. Ridiculously expensive for two very small pieces of chromed, bent steel, but less ridiculous than the price of the OEM plastic ones. The price we pay for our toys...

Rob

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
Yeah, what Big Blue said. Tell 'em its the KP ones too, so they'll be looking at that parts list. Cheaper than replacing forks too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts