Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ive been exhaust shopping and found an open box freedom performance for considerably less than new price, but it says it's "been installed. Missing hardware"
If it's just nuts and bolts, I'd say that's a deal. I can return it if it shows up and I'm unhappy with it.
What do y'all think?. Pull the trigger, or could I be setting myself up for headaches trying to find the right hardware?.

Thank you for you help

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
I would see if they can tell you what hardware is missing. If it is just nuts and bolts, those should be easy to find. If it is something exotic, that is, of course, different. Specifically ask if a mounting bracket is needed and, if so, is it included.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would see if they can tell you what hardware is missing. If it is just nuts and bolts, those should be easy to find. If it is something exotic, that is, of course, different. Specifically ask if a mounting bracket is needed and, if so, is it included.
I emailed and he said the only info they have is that it's hardware, meaning nuts, bolts, clamps or gaskets

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
Do you think by "clamps" they mean the commonly available hose clamps that tighten with a screwdriver or small wrench socket?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think by "clamps" they mean the commonly available hose clamps that tighten with a screwdriver or small wrench socket?
You can tell the person that emailed me back was prob just reading a log on some warehouse manifest or something. He wouldn't eleborate any more than what he gave me, but I wondered the same thing lol.
Yesterday I contacted freedom performance directly to ask if I could possibly just buy the hardware only from them. They haven't responded, but that could be a solution.
everywhere I've seen this set up it's $1100-1200. This one is $875, so I think I'm gonna give it a shot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So just an update- freedom got back to me. They do sell just the hardware, for $120.
I watched a YouTube video of that exhaust being installed. It's literally 6 of those screw down hose clamps, 2 t-clamps, and a few nuts and bolts I can get from home Depot lol.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
So just an update- freedom got back to me. They do sell just the hardware, for $120.
I watched a YouTube video of that exhaust being installed. It's literally 6 of those screw down hose clamps, 2 t-clamps, and a few nuts and bolts I can get from home Depot lol.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but exhaust clamps are not the screw down hose clamps available at a hardware store. Those will NOT work. You need the actual clamps made for exhaust pipes in the correct size. My advise is to buy the kit they sell and save yourself a mountain of headaches, some money on useless hose clamps, and shipping time.

I don't understand why they would even sell this without those clamps. Stainless nuts and bolts can be sourced elsewhere but you need those clamps.

Having said all that you might be able to source the clamps elsewhere but you will need to know the right size to do that.

Bad:

Bad:

Good:

See the difference in thickness? The hose clamps might work for a while but they will fail and we all know failures happen at the worst time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but exhaust clamps are not the screw down hose clamps available at a hardware store. Those will NOT work. You need the actual clamps made for exhaust pipes in the correct size. My advise is to buy the kit they sell and save yourself a mountain of headaches, some money on useless hose clamps, and shipping time.

I don't understand why they would even sell this without those clamps. Stainless nuts and bolts can be sourced elsewhere but you need those clamps.

Having said all that you might be able to source the clamps elsewhere but you will need to know the right size to do that.

Bad:

Bad:

Good:

See the difference in thickness? The hose clamps might work for a while but they will fail and we all know failures happen at the worst time.
Yeah there's only two of the thicker t-clamps that hold the mufflers to the midpipe. The other 6 are just those cheap plumbing clamps. Their only purpose is to hold on the heat shields

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Bad:

Bad:

Good:

Sorry, I just realized I left some things out. The 6 cheaper clamps are what's included in the $120 kit they sell. The video I watched to confirm was using the factory hardware on the exhaust.. the reason I'm going through all this is cause I bought the exhaust "open box"
With hardware missing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts