Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Need some advice

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  half_crazy 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am new to Victory and it is my first EFI so Im a bit in the dark.
I just got a 2004 Kingpin with 33K miles on it. The bike is in amazing condition and seems to be well taken care of. And It seems to be pretty stock overall.

Issues:
1) Idle seems a bit low (where can I adjust it?)
2) untill it is nice and warm I seem to have trouble finding Neutral (is this just me?)
3) It seems a bit underpowered (what can I do that will add power but keep reliability, it seems to not want to go above 80-90 mph)

All of your thoughts and advice would be most appriciated.

#2 ·
1) Idle seems a bit low (where can I adjust it?)
Clean throttle bodies.
2) untill it is nice and warm I seem to have trouble finding Neutral (is this just me?)
When was the oil changed? If you did not change it after buying the bike, change it.
3) It seems a bit underpowered (what can I do that will add power but keep reliability, it seems to not want to go above 80-90 mph)
Clean throttle bodies.

#3 ·
Crossroads,
That's all great advice. Thanks!
Think I might talke it to the dealer for the cleaning and oil change this time. The guy I baught it from also told me to only us amsoil 20-50 (I think) and not the dealer stuff.

Have you guys heard this before?

#4 ·
Yes, amsoil is a popular oil choice for some Victory owners. Oil is such a heated topic, that we have a forum section dedicated to oil and lube alone. There (Oil & Lube Forum) you can find more on oil, including everybody's opinion, theory, facts, fiction, and more on lubrication.

#5 ·
So in my head what I am about to say makes sense. I would like confirmation though.

I feel as though teh more I ride the bike the better it is both warming up (speed), idling, and running overall.

Could riding it clean out the throttle body or at least help it run better? (assuming ti was sitting)

Also, when I am on the throttle and then come off somtimes I will hear a pop from the exhaust. what is that?

#6 ·
I'm certainly not an expert, but if it was sitting for a while it's probably not all in your head. It's really not that good for any motor to be stored for long periods of time, gas will gunk up injectors and lines, used oil will break down and drop suspended contaminants, gunk up oil passages and allow moisture to build up on internal surfaces....

Running it will help clean up the engine internals, knock some carbon deposits lose, etc. Definitely change the oil if you haven't already and I'd add SeaFoam to the fuel to help clean out any gunk. You can also get aerosol Seafoam and fog the engine and I think the regular stuff can be used as an oil additive to help clean out deposits.

#9 ·
Seafoam is quality stuff for sure. Fixed my 250 after being in storage for 3 years. Every fillup put about 4 oz in each tank and when it was all gone running like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#7 ·
Oh and I forgot to even comment on the "pop from the exhaust", it seems pretty normal for these motors.... and here's the disclaimer... so long as it's not all the time or is a big backfire. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's a side effect of how lean the bikes run stock.

#10 ·
thanks guys. I will have to look into that Sea Foam stuff.
The bike is only on its second tank. Im getting ab out 125-130 mile to each tank. How bg is the tank? I thougt it was 5gallons but Im unsure.

I really am loving this bike but I also want to make sure everything is in running order.

Thanks all Im sure Ill have more questions along the way.

#11 ·
Running the bike after perhaps sitting will not clean the throttle bodies. It may help "get the cob webs" out as others mentioned with the engine and fuel system. However, after continued operation the butterfly plates on the throttle body will develop a coating of carbon around the outside edge. This directly affects idle performance. I give a quick spray of carburetor cleaner around the build up to help soften it then clean with a copper wire brush. I'll give it another quick spray with the carb cleaner then wipe it with a shop rag. Too much carb cleaner is not good.

#14 ·
This seafoam stuff is hard to get. I spent hours at the beach and it starts out as foam and then it looks like water to me.:ltr:

Ah having a little fun. I cleaned my throttle bodies and ran a can of seafoam and it made the bike run and feel like new. Cleaned S&S air filter and put new plugs in. Changed my oil. All of this in a weekend when I first got the 06 JP. Made a world of difference and cost under $100. Way better than a visit to the dealer to figure out why it was popping and running rough.

#15 ·
Put in new spark plugs there cheap and think the guy started it a lot and never really road it.

Get a hold of the old owner and ask if he has the onwers manual read it if he doesn't ask dealer about one.

I wounder if you have exhaust other then stock.

#16 ·
Johnny,
SO here is what I know.
34K miles
looks brand new (well maintains cosmetically)
K&N air filter
stock exhaust
looks like stock plugs and the front spoark plug wire is wrapped in elctrical tape. (gonna replace that).

I want to change the spark plugs to E3 diamond fire plugs and I want to replace the plug wires with stock breaded.

At the end of the seaosn I am going to rbing ti in to get the throttle body cleaned and the idle adjusted. I feel it idles a bit low but I am told that can be due to a dirty throttle body.

I live in an apartment so I dont have the space to work on the bike in the street.

#17 ·
I just bought an 04 Kingpin as well. Mine idles pretty low. This was an informative thread. I have been reading up and I hope to do some preventive maintenance in the next couple of weeks. Right now I am trying to decide on the type lift I want. Mine is due an oil change, I also figure I will need to change the drive belt. The manual says change it at 30K, mine has 28K right now. I have read where some say as long as you keep it clean then don't worry about it. I asked the last owner if it was the original belt and he said it was and he said he knew people who have 60K on the original and I should not worry about it. I personally would rather change it in my garage when I am ready than when it decides to break. At least I have 2K miles before I need to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.