Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I left my bike on, not running, kill switch off, for about 5 or 6 hours yesterday. It ran the battery down enough so that the HID would not say lit. After charging it, I fired it back up, the MIL was on, the idle is faster then it was, and it is generally running like crap. Found the throttle reset post, did that, MIL off, idles fast, and still running terrible up till about 2500-3000 rpm(not sure, dont have a tach). I tried disconnecting the battery for a while and tried again, nothing. I dont know if it is possible for the ECU to have gone back to factory settings but it is running like it has the stock mapping. I was looking for some help and maybe a list of things to check before I take it to the stealership so I dont end up wastin $$$ on something stupid eventhough at this point i feel as if i deserve it!!

Bike Info: I have the swept pipes, no baffles, and a Ness air cleaner. I had it dyno tuned and it ended up at 95hp and 108ftlbs. The tech was very suprised. It WAS a strong running bike till I pulled this idiot stunt.:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So even though it starts and runs, the therory would be that it is dragging down the entire system until the engine gets into the higher RPM range and can make it up???

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Like Diamond pointed out, the battery's your number one suspect here. If you want to eliminate it as a suspect without spending any money, hook up jumper cables from a car/truck and let the car/truck running. Then proceed with testing your bike and see if that changes the situation. If it does, then the battery is the guilty party. Older batteries, once drained, lose their ability to recharge properly.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The battery checks out. No change when the cables are hooked up. I'm getting 14.26 Vdc on the posts when at idle. Are there any sensors that could have been messed up leavin it on like that?? The other thing that came to mind is--I set the idle down from the factory setting, if I did the throttle reset to where i have the idle set now, whould that mess it up?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got off the phone with the dealer. He mentioned the TP reset, told him that it had already been done. Then he said that the map could have been erased since it is running bad with out the mil being on. So i guess since i have no way to check the map im gonna have to bring it in. If this doesn't make sense, please let me know. I plan to take it in on Wed. And will it be OK to ride it to the dealer 30 miles?? If the map is gone then it is probably runnin lean, right??

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
That does make sense. When I bought my bike, it had sat all winter and discharged the battery completely.I rode it home after buying it and it ran rough.Back firing and fouling plugs.Low rpms ran like crap.Get on highway and it seemed fine.I took it back three times.They finally fixed it.They ended up having to adjust the TPS and remap it.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
That does make sense. When I bought my bike, it had sat all winter and discharged the battery completely.
Invest in a good automatic (float) battery charger and keep it hooked up to the battery during the winter hibernation. Then, the battery will be up and rarin' to go come spring. But only if on your last ride before putting her up for the winter you stopped at a gas station, put fuel stabilizer in the tank and topped it up. I get 5 or 6 years and more out of a battery by keeping a float charger on it. cheers

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Invest in a good automatic (float) battery charger and keep it hooked up to the battery during the winter hibernation. Then, the battery will be up and rarin' to go come spring. But only if on your last ride before putting her up for the winter you stopped at a gas station, put fuel stabilizer in the tank and topped it up. I get 5 or 6 years and more out of a battery by keeping a float charger on it.
I have a good charger.I don' t have this problem though, as I ride it year round. It was messed up when I bought it.The dealer after some heated words,lol, straightened it out.That was a couple years ago. Thank you for the heads up though.
I am having problems with the battery not having enough omph now that I installed the 11:1 pistons now though(it turns over slowly sometimes,then starts). Kevinx advised me to get one for the larger displacement bikes.I just haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the bike to the dealer and they ended up doing a recal on the TPS. They only charged me an hour for an oil change, troubleshooting, and the fix, so it wasn't too bad. I'm just happy I can ride again with no worries.:D
I appreciate all the replies and suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts