Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at a 2013 XCT today with 25,000 miles, appeared to be in good condition. They are asking $10,900 for it and are giving me a decent trade for my 2011 Vulcan 900 (more than what i paid for it 2 years ago) I'm leaning towards making the deal but was wondering if there is anything with this particular year or at this mileage that i need to focus on? They offered me a 3 year warranty but at $1100 i think they are hosing me on that so i will pass. Appreciate any info you may have.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
GRAB IT!!! And an extended warranty is a waste. These Vics are so dependable, things very rarely go wrong. And they are soooo easy to work on - I'm 80 and do ALL my own maintenance work, including rear wheel removal, changing fork oil and I even upgraded the steering head bearings to all tapered rollers.
You have forum buddies here who are going to help with advice and you spending your money at places like Lloydz and Witchdoctors.
See if you can get the previous owner's service records and learn what add ons he's done, like a timing wheel, pipes, air filter, etc..
Like I said....GRAB IT!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to add that I also get a new seat with it because the current seat has been modified by adding more padding which has significantly added to the seat height. I'm 5'9" with a 29" inseam and I was on the tips of my toes with this seat. When I sat on a new 2017 model I was almost flat foot.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
Grab it before someone else does.
Major concern... Well it's gonna run a bit harder but you'll get used to it:devil
Enjoy...
Oh and we wanna see a pic when you get it.
Extended warranty unneeded, buy some aftermarket slip on mufflers or something else with your money.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I bought my 2013 XCT a year ago and it had 25,500 on it. After som research I felt I had no worries of major concern as far as stuff going bad. Unlike the HD that around 35k you have to do some nonsense dealing with replacing valve push rods and rockers, timing chains etc. I bought a Drag Specialties seat and have built my own mufflers with the stock cans using the Jones glass-packs. If your handy its a cheap mod. I bought a 900 vulcan new in 07, great bike. This one handles as light I would say. It is heavier bike for sure but handles well for size. If your happy with the numbers and the trade go for it. It your money, but it sounds decent enough.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Not a bad deal at all. Make sure to post pics of it since it is a mystery color. Good luck.

Skin

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Oh yea I forgot, as a bonus if you do some minor mods like mufflers and you decide you need to disconnect the O2 sensors to richen it up a tick, the 2013 is the last year you can do that without buying a programmer and couple hundred in eliminator plugs to keep check engine light out.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Oh yea I forgot, as a bonus if you do some minor mods like mufflers and you decide you need to disconnect the O2 sensors to richen it up a tick, the 2013 is the last year you can do that without buying a programmer and couple hundred in eliminator plugs to keep check engine light out.
LOL, yeah it's either that or put a piece of tape over the check engine light like I had to on my '16 :grin:ltr:cheers

Skin

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
LOL, yeah it's either that or put a piece of tape over the check engine light like I had to on my '16 :grin:ltr:cheers

Skin
Yep, electrical tape, or if you can get to the tiny globe remove it, I found my blue high beam light annoying too bright!... And with my Victory HID searchlight light beam I certainly know when it's on, just got a lower candlepower globe for it.
Aftermarket mufflers are probably the most popular first real mod apart from the timing wheel.
Vic's like to breathe.
Anyway mate. Best you grab that bike.
then we can talk you into souping it up a little.:smile

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Oh oh, don't want to hijack this thread, but I unplugged my CCT '14 and no check engine light "yet" Ha ha

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not a bad deal at all. Make sure to post pics of it since it is a mystery color. Good luck.

Skin
Well, it's the fastest color of course. Boardwalk Blue.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Well, it's the fastest color of course. Boardwalk Blue.
Yeah, I've heard that color was a little faster than the others. Something about upgraded technology used in racing lawnmower paint which has lowered the drag coefficient and made it faster than other colors on the Vic :eek :clap::pepper::ride::worthless without:

Skin

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Well I can confirm that on the '16 model it immediately throws the CEL. Not that I've done it or anything LOL

·
Registered
291 Posts
Dude, like the others have said, GRAB IT. That's a freaking steal. I have a 2013 with ONLY 9000 miles on it and I wouldn't part with it for less than 18G's (but mine is the BEST color, Sunset Red :) ). If it hasn't had any mods done to it, mufflers, timing wheel, and fuel controller and your good to go for a 100k miles. :grin

My biggest issue has been coming up with the time to ride (I hate work) so
I plan on wearing some of the new off of mine this year, starting with a trip to the Black Hills next weekend for a charity run and then down to Colorado for a week.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I even upgraded the steering head bearings to all tapered rollers.
Hey, whats this, I hadn't heard about this idea, is there a need or was it just something you wanted to do (they didn't have tappered bearings in the first place?? WTF) Do you have a link to a thread/discussion/your write up on the subject? Color me curious as all hell.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey, whats this, I hadn't heard about this idea, is there a need or was it just something you wanted to do (they didn't have tappered bearings in the first place?? WTF) Do you have a link to a thread/discussion/your write up on the subject? Color me curious as all hell.
OK Ric, you now have another student to tooter on the steering bearing replacement.:wink

Ric was incredibly helpful talking my through the steering bearing replacement process. Without his encouragement, I would never have tackled the job. He is the pioneer of the process.thumb up

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Hey Dog! The old guy here with the skinny on steering head bearings. Your bike came with a tapered roller lower, but a sealed ball upper and I upgraded both to tapered with a kit from AllBalls.
Having a XR, this job is way easier to do than on XCs cuz of your fairing being in the way. The hardest part of the conversion is removing the fairing. Once you have access to the steering head, changing the bearings is not all that difficult. If this is a task you wish to undertake, email me at [email protected] and I have photos, etc. to help you on your way.
Incidentally, I had over 33K miles when I did that and the original tapered lower was just mildly worn with minute detents. To determine if you need to replace them, get the front wheel off the ground and do two things: 1. Grab the bottom of the forks and yank back and forth. If there is ANY movement, your bearings are loose, which causes them damage. 2. Rotate the bars very slowly left to right and as you pass the center, feel for a detectable bump. If you feel one, the bearings need replacing. If no bump, simply tighten the bearings. Otherwise, wait until they do.
Ric

·
13,172 Posts
djh3

Just so you know in 2016 & 2017 have a different ECM. Yes you need adaptor for those two years only if you want to unplug the 02'a.
Anything early then that you need nothing to unplug them

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My plan is to make this deal, but the following day my 92 year old father was taken to the hospital and I've been dealing with that and helping my mother as well. All is well with my dad, (brought him home this morning) turns out he was extremely dehydrated because he doesn't drink enough liquids, let alone just water. Talked to the dealer to let them know whats going on. They have to order a new seat for it so I hope that doesn't take as long to get as the fuel filter :grin

1 - 20 of 24 Posts