Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at putting the RPW slashness pipes on my 2006 hammer here soon and have some tuning questions..

What would be the most cost effective manner to tune this year of hammer?
>Its not a modded street machine that will require regular changes so a complex tuner isnt necessary. Just want it to run right and not bog down when I go to crack it open.

I heard dealers can upload different tunes, can anybody provide more details of how this works? I'm guessing its just a canned tune based off what some other aftermarket exhaust has required. Pro's/con's?

Thanks for any input,
back to lurking across the threads

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Yes your local vic dealer can do a reprogram of you ecm for the exhaust upgrade. My closest dealer quoted me $450 to purchase the one time use program card. which included them flashing the ecm. This is set to work with their Stage 1 upgrades etc.. Which include exhaust and intake upgrade components. I've read numerous post here that talk of vics ecm programing as being a little lean by default, including the upgrade programs. So with an aftermarket upgrade a factory ecm reprogram may not work. I to am looking at an exhaust upgrade. The previous owner of my hammer did the stage 1 factory upgrade for exhaust and intake. My Hammer is running lean. The dealer tech told me that the best option was to install a fuel controller such as the Lloydz VFC III or the Power Commander V. So a fuel controller is the way to go. There are other controller brands as well. Most are preprogramed with set increases for fuel delivery and air/fuel mixture or can be custom mapped for a riders particular taste. All should do the same job. Its a matter of what you want to spend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the pc5 is for newer model vics. Or possibly pc5 works fine but the auto tune feature is only for newer models. I will have to research the lloydz kit more, but def dont want to make a lean bike leaner by ading pipes without fuel management

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I believe the pc5 is for newer model vics. Or possibly pc5 works fine but the auto tune feature is only for newer models. I will have to research the lloydz kit more, but def dont want to make a lean bike leaner by ading pipes without fuel management

You are right. I had forgotten that, when I did my research 3-4 months ago, the PC V is for '08-newer models. The PC III would be best for our '06 hammers. I however have opted for a less expensive controller. I picked up an Arlen Ness Cheap Shot. They retail for $150, got mine for half that off ebay new in unopened original packaging. This one is a little more involved for install, but not more then I'm comfortable taking on. Since I'm not going to do any heavy mods to the engine, just staying at @ stage 1 upgrade lvl. This basic controller will work fine for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which luggage rack did you go with? I was browsing them last year when planning out a trip but didnt end up getting one. Just back-packed it all.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Which luggage rack did you go with? I was browsing them last year when planning out a trip but didnt end up getting one. Just back-packed it all.
I got lucky and scored a used, but new condition, one-up rack that Vic sells for the Hammer. $200 retail from the Vic store. $70 on ebay with no damage just a little wear around the bolt holes from where it was mounted previously. I then fabed a set of brackets to push it back so that I could mount my touring seat for riding with my better half. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts