Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for anyone who came from a VTX 1800 to a CC or CCT (or who has both), I'm curious how you would describe the power difference between the VTX and the Victory?

I find a significant difference in power, throttle response, and quickness between my VTX 1800C and my 2012 Victory CC. I know the CC is a bit heavier (I don't have a trunk) and the engine is a bit smaller, but I didn't expect the stark difference. Everybody else around here seems to heap praise on the CC about how powerful it is. I'm wondering if I've just been spoiled for most of the last decade with my VTX or if my CC has some type of a problem. Seriously, I was out riding the other day and felt hesitant to pass several cars because there didn't seem to be enough snoot in the CC to get me around in time. I would have twisted the grip and made short work of the same situation on the VTX.

I'm not bashing the CC at all... I'm just wondering if either my expectations were too high or my CC has a problem. So, do you feel the CC is significantly less powerful than the VTX or are they pretty close? If it is my expectations then I'll just adapt and learn to live with the differences. I'm sure the fuel gauge, extra tank capacity, and huge storage capacity will make up for things eventually. Oh yeah... and the radio.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rob, I had a VTX1800R and ride a Vision but have test driven CC's extensively if that counts... The X had that snap your neck back power when the throttle is rolled on VS the smooth transition of the CC or VV. Even with the PC5 on my VV, the X had the edge when it comes to grabbing a lot of throttle,

But the all day riding comfort of either the VV or the CC and the get on down the road in any weather condition, twisites riding handling, ease of maintenance on the Victories far out weigh a smile when it comes to extra power rolling it on.

I just plan for a few seconds of extra time when I pass folks up.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Cc / vtx

Lighter Bike / Bigger Motor
Heaver Bike / Smaller Motor
??????????????
The CC / 106 at stock configuration is flat at 3700 on up to 5200 in my opinion. (Not a lot of get up and go)
Timing wheel / air filter / tuner and cams (which I have not done yet) you will have a different opinion of the bike and have the power to pass at any reasonable time. Even with just a free flowing Exhaust air filter and timing wheel makes all the difference. wac

·
Registered
130 Posts
I came from a Suzuki M109 and even with the mods I have now on my CCT it couldn't touch the M109. My M109 was 800lb and I had a 280 on the rear and it would pull like it's no tomorrow. The CCT is a tad heavier and you loose a little in displacement but it is still a strong pull after you modify the power plant.

I was a little disappointed, ith regard to power, when I first drove the CCT but the riding position and storage won me over. I would still purchase the CCT over HD or Goldwing and I have driven both bikes.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
with all the comfort and handling of a cross bike, why worry
about a little less power. enjoy all the stuff you didnt have
with the X. i came from a 1300c. the only complaint i have
is engine heat. never rode an 1800 but heard and saw they
had great power.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

This isn't about comparing anything else between the two bikes or having to justify why the CC is a great bike. I bought the damn thing, so I like it. There are tons of differences between the VTX and the CC. I'm just looking for guidance about the power to see whether my specific CC has a problem or not. So please don't turn this thread into a 'why the CC is worth it' thread. Don't need to convince me.

I bought this CC used and it apparently has a Lloyd's adjustable timing gear in it. That's supposed to make it *more* responsive at lower throttle levels. That, again, is what is making me question whether there is something wrong with things. From the sounds of the above thought it is probably just the expected difference?

BTW, weight-wise there isn't that much difference between these bikes. A stock VTX is around 735 and the CC (non-tour) is about 760. My VTX does have aftermarket exhaust and a PC-III, so it is making more ponies than stock (96hp/112tq), so that perhaps enhances the disparity.

I will be swapping to a different exhaust on the CC and probably switch the air filter. So I'll have timing, exhaust, and intake covered. Hopefully those items give me a bit more. Mind you, I'm not trying to take the CC to the level of the VTX's power but I just want a little more.

Thanks,
Rob

P.S. My perception of power and throttle response is also warped a bit because of my other bike (see sig). Spoiled.

·
Registered
269 Posts
So, for anyone who came from a VTX 1800 to a CC or CCT (or who has both), I'm curious how you would describe the power difference between the VTX and the Victory?

I find a significant difference in power, throttle response, and quickness between my VTX 1800C and my 2012 Victory CC. I know the CC is a bit heavier (I don't have a trunk) and the engine is a bit smaller, but I didn't expect the stark difference. Everybody else around here seems to heap praise on the CC about how powerful it is. I'm wondering if I've just been spoiled for most of the last decade with my VTX or if my CC has some type of a problem. Seriously, I was out riding the other day and felt hesitant to pass several cars because there didn't seem to be enough snoot in the CC to get me around in time. I would have twisted the grip and made short work of the same situation on the VTX.

I'm not bashing the CC at all... I'm just wondering if either my expectations were too high or my CC has a problem. So, do you feel the CC is significantly less powerful than the VTX or are they pretty close? If it is my expectations then I'll just adapt and learn to live with the differences. I'm sure the fuel gauge, extra tank capacity, and huge storage capacity will make up for things eventually. Oh yeah... and the radio.

Thanks,

Rob
I still have my 02 1800c I just barely rode it last year.. You can't beet the VTX for low end torque, stump pulling

Power .. When I first rode my 11 XC home from Florida I was disappointed in what I perceived as a lack of power.. It's not lacking in power it just comes in differently and around 2500 rpm.. I didn't buy the XC for the power though as I love to ride cross country.. Instead of having things precariously strapped to the bike now I rarely have to carry an extra bag at all so that's great and what I wanted/needed.. All that being said though I made a few mods that helped the XC out quite a bit.. I added the D&D pipes and Lloyd's air filter.. I have a PCV but haven't installed it yet but will soon.. I do plan on cams sometime this year as it gives the bike quite a bit more power and according to friends who have done the cam upgrade, better gas mileage... The XC is allot more cushy ride better ground clearance and will actually go around a corner without dragging a peg.. There is nothing wrong with a VTX mine has just north of 107000 miles and if it had a new battery I wouldn't worry about weather it would make it to New York City if I decided to leave today..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I ride with a friend that has an Illusion blue 1800 X. Great motorcycle and as stated great low end power and strong thru out for sure. When I 1st bought my CC he would walk me all the time. My 1300C would run with my CC. Then came the visit with Kyle KMC for a cam swap and PC5. A 30 HP gain from a tuned fuel system and a set of cams and wow! See ya VTX. Passing anything on the road now is just a throttle roll or better yet downshift 1 gear and the difference is night and day.

I know owning 3 bikes is an expense but if you want to have your Victory perform like the way it was designed to then cams and a PC5 is what you need. You can start with D&D's and a Lloyds filter with a Vic flash if you want to but all you did was make your bike louder and less responsive. These motors are so poorly tuned because of EPA. A $2000 is a chunk to spend but I look at the fact that that I don't want another bike now because of the new performance I have and that can be a tremendous savings all in its own!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Food for thought: The VTX 1800 has an incredible power to weight ratio. I remember reading an article in '03 or'04 which compared a boat load of cruisers and the VTX had the best power to weight ratio of the lot. This may be what you're describing as a primary difference b/t the two bikes' engines. Never owned one but rode a buddies many times. Almost bought a VTX 1800 instead of the Vic b/c of the above.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I almost bought an 1800F. Loved the styling and color choices. Couldn't get over the top heaviness and the exhaust note with after market pipes. 1800 VTX's need to stay with a stock exhaust IMO. Too bad they are no longer made. They were one of the best offerings from Honda at the time. All steel powerful bikes that made an impression to any enthusiast. Honda has certainly taken a different direction in the cruiser market today. They need to improve the ergo's on the Goldwing such as saddle and leg position. The motor is a winner though.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Coming off an 1800 T with drilled muffs. and a opened up air box, the vtx was definitely more spunky, just seemed to pull harder from 2000 to 5000,The xct is over all more of what I was looking for..:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Rob - I put 97k on my VTX1800R before buying my '12XCT last spring and it did take a little getting used to the different character of the engine. The "adjustment" for me was keeping the rpm up so I started riding it like I rode my old FJ1200. The 106 isn't happy slogging it out right off idle while the VTX begs for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Rob,

I had my '03 VTX1800R from brand new until last September. (31K miles) No doubt your assessment and the input from everyone else is true. Even with the 1300 final drive, the 1800R could have pulled logs out of the woods.

My XCT is stock except for Stage 1 Tri-Ovals, air filter, and flash. I can't say I've ever been lacking power to pass, but I didn't choose my bike for power or speed. (I didn't chose the VTX for power or speed either.) I don't have plans to do cams or any other upgrades. I'm happy with stock, a ton of storage, some nice scenery, and a comfortable ride. (Although I will definitely go to the darkside as soon as I need a rear tire!)

Dan

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the feedback, people. Sounds like it is 'normal' and I shouldn't worry. Perhaps I'll be a little more content with it once I get the new Tri-oval exhaust on it. By the way, how does one get it flashed after changing exhausts if you don't have a Power Commander? Or is there no way?

Rob

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The flash should come with the Tri Ovals from the dealer as will a Victory filter upgrade. IMO there is better choices for you to spend that crazy money on and the improvement will be much more noticeable and benefit the bike's efficiency way better. You just need a Dyno tuner.

in regards to passing power the stock bike has enough to haul the mail. don't be afraid to drop a gear or two and go for it. depending on speed of course but I have cruised at 60mph in 6th gear and dropped to 4th and it was on! Imagine what 30 more properly fed horses (air and fuel) will feel like. ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The flash should come with the Tri Ovals from the dealer as will a Victory filter upgrade. IMO there is better choices for you to spend that crazy money on and the improvement will be much more noticeable and benefit the bike's efficiency way better. You just need a Dyno tuner.

in regards to passing power the stock bike has enough to haul the mail. don't be afraid to drop a gear or two and go for it. depending on speed of course but I have cruised at 60mph in 6th gear and dropped to 4th and it was on! Imagine what 30 more properly fed horses (air and fuel) will feel like. ;)
I'm getting a smokin' deal on them so they aren't crazy priced. I love the looks and I've heard them so I know they have the sound I want.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had a 2005 VTX1800R with a set of V&H Bigshots, PC III, and a Thunder Mfg. intake.

Way heavier bike....... but still way faster.

The Victory is comfortable and light but lacks the power of the VTX. So if you like that low end torque and the throw you back acceleration you won't find it in a Victory.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts