Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago. Being a former Marine it give me the sense of serving my country, but most of all it gives me the opportunity to give back to our fallen soldier.
My problem is that I'm about as mechanically inclined as a 2 year old. While everyone else was flying huge flags that had been mounted on their bike, I flew 2 small flags. That just wont' work. SO from looking at your bike, could you give me some ideas on how to mount a flag system to my bike. Thanks for any ideas you could give me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Give me a little more info and I might be able to help! What bike and are you running a trunk, back rest, etc...

BSD

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
LOL...I ask and I ask I even posted in the Welcome forums for people to put the model bike they have in their signature because it can speed up responses.

Oh well.....no one listens to me...I'm like the red headed step child!!:ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'd like to rig up something for my bike for parades (I'm a member of the Red Knights) I have a 2010 Vegas with the short back rest...leather bags with ghost brackets...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok if you are wanting to run a parade flag (this is what most want to run for parade or guard duty) then you need something that mounts and will be strong. Wind will put allot of stress on the mount. If you own a Harley there is a ton to choose from. Victory only offers a little one, so that lends us to be creative.

Assuming that you are running with a Victory (better yet a kewlmetal) luggage rack, I would go with a marine grade chrome mount. I would mount this to the luggage rack very close to the bike. I would use something like this:

http://www.flagandbanner.com/fab/productpage.asp?id=CSOCK34BOAT65

Below this picture is a link for the pole and mount.

When the flag pole is not mounted then this is not to much in the way of setting luggage on the mount. The angle of the mount will help with drag.

If you do not have a luggage rack and you are good with metal work up a jig that is "U" shaped and will work and latch down on saddle bag supports or were the passenger backrest lock and ride would mount.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm doing the same thing. I recently got laid off so now that I have the time available I thought this would be a good time to pay back and pay forward to my fellow vets.

I have an 08 Vision and after the last mission I came home and stared at the bike for awhile and finally came up with a mounting for the Vision with the trunk attached and no drilling into anything on the bike.

I'm taking pix of how I'm going to do this and I'll post pix later this week, but basically I have taken out the riders backrest and inserted a 1" piece of strap steel that will have a plate on it with two tubes on it to insert the flag poles into.

This makes it completely and quickly removable and I can transfer the plate with the holder to the passenger backrest on my Road Star when I want to take it instead of the Vision. It would also work on a Street that has either a back rest or removable rider back rest.

My plate looks a lot like this one for sale on PayPal that is set up for mounting on a back rest but the price is pretty high - especially for a chrome one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTORCYCLE-FLAG-HOLDER-FULL-SIZE-FLAGS-PP-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f4ae40a7QQitemZ300457803943QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

As I said I will do a post later that shows what I am doing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have made a few for guys/gals. With the XC/XR I would consider making a mount that is able to bolt to 2 locations on each side this will make it stable. I would also make a second mount for the first to bolt to which will make it easily removed when not in use. A 1/4 inch metal sheet for it to bolt to the saddle bag mount at the fender another point at where the saddle bag mounts at the bottom of the saddle bag. Between the 2 points drill 2 holes on each side. Like bigseadaddy said make it from of a c so it can wrap around the fender toward the bottom. This needs to be at least 1/2 inch round steel rod or 1/4 inch flat steel. Weld a flat piece in the center a flat part so you can add the actual mount for the flag pole. I use 1 inch conduit for the flag pole . I also use round stock for the mount about 12 inches tall, this will aid in support at higher speeds or use a thick round metal tubing for the pole to slip into. In this case it will be required to add a brace on the upper end for support. Just wrap it around the the tubing and back down to the mounting plate. Like any large flag you do not need to exceed 30 mph+-. How ever this mount will be good up to 60mph+- but it will require good material for the flag to take it for long period.

I hope this makes sense and it is not hard to do if you have the proper tools, grinder/welder/torch.

If you can find a trailer hitch this would really simplify things

dd

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
2010 Victory Cross Country, I have a back rest on it. As of right now no trunk or luggage rack!
Would be neat if you could slap that info into your signature, so next time you ask a question, nobody jumps up with the "what do you ride?" and diamond doesn't feel like the red headed step child of the house. thumb up

This is what a fellow forum member (wildpew) runs on his Kingpin; it might give you the inspiration you're looking for: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3669&highlight=flag+mount. They have posted some nice pics in that thread also. Have a look. cheers

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all of your responses, I've decided to go with this set up.
http://graymachine.net/index_files/Page312.htm
I need something that is sent to me and all I have to do is wrench it on. Wife told me she would nut me like a pig if she caught me trying to fab something on the bike. If you could see some of my prior clusters......you would understand.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I need something that is sent to me and all I have to do is wrench it on.
Let us know which one you get, take some pics, and maybe give us a little product review once you have it up and running. I'm curious how it fits on the Cross bikes.

Wife told me she would nut me like a pig if she caught me trying to fab something on the bike. If you could see some of my prior clusters......you would understand.
LOL :ltr:

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK here is my solution.

I wanted to have a mount for my Vision that would hold a large American flag and a Patriot Guard Riders flag for PGR missions but it is difficult at best to find somewhere to mount a holder with our drilling into tupperware somewhere or installing a hitch just for the flags.

I finally came up with a solution that works for both my Road Star and the Vision with or without the trunk attached.

I made this out of stuff in my junk drawer and cabinet so I don't have a bunch of money into this for the nice outcome.

First off, the idea is to use the removable Utopia riders backrest receiver as the mounting point. It is sturdy enough to hold my tonnage on the bike so I don't see why it won't work for the flags.

I used a 1" steel strap that fits right into the backrest holder and I bent it back slightly toward the rear of the bike.

Next I found some tubes that are just slightly larger than the aluminum flag pole and arranged them so that I can carry two flags in a V formation. These were mounted to a back plate that is 1/16th steel for strength. You could also use 1" PVC tubing for this with some pipe holders for securing them to the backing plate.

You can also use aluminum hose holders for hot rod applications if you want to get fancy.

Here is the unit mounted on the bike. The strap part just slips into the back rest receiver. You can pull it right back out to take it off the bike.

The backing plate and holders can also be mounted on the sissy bar of my Road Star with very little effort. I am drilling holes in the plate that will match up with the bolts for mounting the sissy bar pad. This way I can take whichever bike I want.

This project is not hard and can be done with minimal mechanical skills. It sure beats paying $250+ for the ones for sale on eBay and other places and none of them are made for a Victory bike.

Email me at [email protected] if you have any questions or comments about doing this project.

Tom

·
Registered
528 Posts
I need something that is sent to me and all I have to do is wrench it on. Wife told me she would nut me like a pig if she caught me trying to fab something on the bike. If you could see some of my prior clusters......you would understand.

You have a trailer hitch on your cross bike?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts