• Undecided but wanted to vote anyways

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anybody asks, the Cross Roads is staying. No way am I letting go of this good looking, awesome handling, unbelievably reliable horse that I love.

So, up until today I thought I knew what I was doing in choosing the garage companion for my XR. However, after test riding and making sure this is what I want, I find myself at a fork in the road with a decision to make. Here are my two options:

A.) 2015 (black) Chieftain - $26,300 O.T.D.
B.) 2014 (black) Chieftain - $25,000 O.T.D.

Keep in mind that in California, we pay extra for the beloved California Emissions Evap Canister, which I will remove and dispose of in my first day of ownership, as I have on the XR. The above prices also include dealer doc fees, sales tax and registration, and dealer delivery fee.

The only difference that I am aware of, is that the 2015 has had the Brake Throttle Override (BTO) removed, while the 2014 is supposed to be removable, although dealers seem to be unsure on how exactly.

So, is $1,300 worth the difference, and why?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
One model year is worth the $1300 for sure... If for no other reason than to say "mines a 15" when someone asks you.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
hahaha....thats very funny CR :)

Look at it this way; if you can afford a SECOND bike, why are you worrying about an extra $1300? Go with your heart man, not your wallet

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
Well, common wisdom says to not buy the first year of any new model vehicle, so the 15 wins. There may be other differences not mentioned. Things found during the first year model that have been improved on. I have no idea if there are any but that is how it usually goes. Maybe they got it right the first year though.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I was leaning towards the '15 but wanted to get a sanity check from you guys. While $1,300 is a lot of money, it's only 5% off the total. And, I managed to get $500 off a '15 through another dealer, further away from me. This makes the difference only $800, which is putting the 2015 in no-brainer territory for me.

hahaha....thats very funny CR :)

Look at it this way; if you can afford a SECOND bike, why are you worrying about an extra $1300? Go with your heart man, not your wallet
Easier said than done. The engineer in me is going for calculated decisions, leaving all emotion out. The heart will be followed when it comes to enjoying the bike.

One model year is worth the $1300 for sure... If for no other reason than to say "mines a 15" when someone asks you.
I don't like to brag, so I cannot count that as a plus for the '15. But I will admit that my brain likes the number 15 better than the number 14.

Well, common wisdom says to not buy the first year of any new model vehicle, so the 15 wins. There may be other differences not mentioned. Things found during the first year model that have been improved on. I have no idea if there are any but that is how it usually goes. Maybe they got it right the first year though.
I always did hold off on buying first year anything, and you're right. Sometimes there are things that don't get any publicity, but they do make a little change here or there.

What the hell are you gonna do with that? Hang it on the wall?
I don't have any plans yet but I thought I would just ride the thing. :D

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
It's not bragging CR... Group of guys standing around you and your buddies bikes. "What years the Indian"? CR replies "it's a 15". There is no bragging there just simple Q & A. 15 is a nicer number than 14... 13 is one of my fave numbers.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
cheersI would go with the 15 .cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
Yep the '15 for sure.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
FIFTEEN !!!!!! thumb up Congrats you lucky bastard !!
I want one too. gotta sell the 2 Hondas first.

·
13,033 Posts
So what recalls are on the Indian so far.
Remember that law suit on the harley.
Maybe wait for a 16 or look at a Scout for in town bike.
You know next year Vic will change the design of the baggers and you'll wish you would have waited

·
Registered
86 Posts
Something to think about:

The 2014 will have a 5 year factory warranty vs. 2 years on the 2015.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
CrossRoads- what have you decided on and which colour scheme? Any pictures?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I went for the 2008 Vision Premium, $9300 OTD with 12,600 miles. Saved boatloads of $$$. I can't comprehend $20K+ for a cycle.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If and when you ever decide to sell, the '15 will be worth more than the '14 and you'll recover the extra $ you chipped in for the '15. As another poster mentioned, avoiding the first model year of anything is usually a good idea. The way I look at the 5 year warranty on the '14 vs the 2 year warranty on the '15 is you may need the 5 year warranty on the '14 being the new model year and maybe not the case on the '15.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts