Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I thought I would join this forum for some advice.
I am currently riding a HD and its a great bike.
The local dealer has a 2017 X1 still left sitting on the floor and I am considering trading in for it.
I have some concerns though....
One is why is this bike still on the floor??? it looks killer.
Is the X1 a bad ass looking basket case of a bike??? no offense to X1 owners.
On my HD I had to drop another thousand bucks in aftermarket to open up the power, does the same go for the X1?
I know Polaris closed Victory so given that is a X1 a smart buy?
Will it hold value in the bike market even though Victory is closed down?
I have looked at a Indian as well and both bikes do share similar features.
Is Polaris still supporting Victory spare parts? or has the Victory line been closed completely
Is the 2017 X1 a under rated bike?

Let me know guys
Patrick

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
The Cross Countries(including the X1) are some of the best baggers ever built. It is a damn shame what Polaris did to Victory :mad:
The Magnum and Magnum X1 have the factory Stage1 upgrade done to them, which consists of a higher flow air-filter, more open mufflers and an ECU flash. So they do run better than the regular XC's. That said, there is much more hi-performance parts available and LOT's more power to tap :)
Polaris has to support the Victory line for 9 more years by law....but its definitely a bit of a gamble if your bike should ever need major service. There's still plenty of aftermarket Vic stuff available but OEM accessories are out of production and drying up on the market. The X1 is well equipped to start with and like all XC's over engineered so none of this should be a problem if you bought one but there is always that chance....
Good luck with your decision and hope you join the fam...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does Victory and Indian cross any where when it comes to parts?

I mean if I buy a Buick, the general parts on the car will cross with most other GM cars.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
No. They do not.

Why would you trade a bike in on a bike that is no longer produced by a company that has a history of abandoning their customers? Ask owners of the older V-92 bikes what it's like trying to find parts...

There is very small factory and aftermarket support for accessories. Harley has CRAPLOADS of support.

You want advice? Don't do it.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts

I mean if I buy a Buick, the general parts on the car will cross with most other GM cars.
Not really, indian has everything different

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to google
I learn Victory was open for a good 21 years before it closed.
Their marketing was total crap though.
21 years is a long time to build up some kind of after market isn't it?

Polaris has only owned Indian for 5 years now
How does their future look?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I wouldnt count on them to make that 21 years for Indian too

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The one thing I found fascinating with victory was there engineering. Watching YouTube and reading specs. Victories engineers destoried HD weak points.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The bosses that be fell in love with the name and the Indian mystique.
What they did to the company should have been grounds for dismissal but the old guys that run Polaris are only interested in share price. They don't know motorcycles.

As for the bike in the show room I'd have to go along with the reasoning that it's the wrong thing to do. Parts and adequate support were a problem when the company was in business and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone buy one now.

I have one and I really like it so it's not going anywhere but in truth, find yourself another product.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Business is business. The Indian brand has been past around a few times. Do you think the Victory brand would get bought out from Polaris to new owners? Seeing how it's a dead company whats it worth to Polaris to let it go?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Business is business. The Indian brand has been past around a few times. Do you think the Victory brand would get bought out from Polaris to new owners? Seeing how it's a dead company whats it worth to Polaris to let it go?
Polaris designed and build this motor from scratch ... They will never let it "go"

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Do the Indian Chieftain and Roadmaster share a belt, rear sprocket, and rear axle tension adjustors with the Victory Cross Country family? They sure look identical from a quick look.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Thanks to google
I learn Victory was open for a good 21 years before it closed.
Their marketing was total crap though.
21 years is a long time to build up some kind of after market isn't it?

It's an orphan brand now with future parts and support getting smaller to nonexistant. On the other hand they are a well-built machine.

Many of us plan on riding them until they are only good as a parts bike or we kick off; which ever comes first.

If you can get a really good deal and understand all the facts and still want it; go for it with your eyes wide open. The X1 is a really good bike for sure.

Victory was marketed from 1999-2017 but you're right; there was development time before then that could easily have been 3 more years making it a total of 21 years.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Polaris designed and build this motor from scratch ... They will never let it "go"
Never say never as they say. ;) Business is business. It's possible Polaris could sell the name and all the engineering plans. I think all the tooling is already gone or re-purposed though.

Look at how many times Indian was brought back. Triumph took a break and now BSA is looking like a comeback kid. What about Brough-Superior and the Royal Enfield? Brands do come back. Who knows, maybe Polaris will get better leadership, then fire Victory back up. Likely? No; but it is possible.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Never say never as they say. ;) Business is business. It's possible Polaris could sell the name and all the engineering plans. I think all the tooling is already gone or re-purposed though.

Look at how many times Indian was brought back. Triumph took a break and now BSA is looking like a comeback kid. What about Brough-Superior and the Royal Enfield? Brands do come back. Who knows, maybe Polaris will get better leadership, then fire Victory back up. Likely? No; but it is possible.
That would be the day ....

I didnt know Indian "name" was bought and sold a few times , keep reading

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Motocycle_Manufacturing_Company

So it does not state that the good people who tried to revive indian actually made motorcycles

when the Indian Motocycle Manufacturing Company went bankrupt. Various organizations tried to perpetuate the Indian brand name in subsequent years, with limited success.

In 2011,*Polaris Industries*purchased Indian Motorcycles
Unquote

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
The one thing I found fascinating with victory was there engineering. Watching YouTube and reading specs. Victories engineers destoried HD weak points.
If you're talking about those Arizona Victory/Mike Shultz videos, a lot of that was exaggeration.

Have you ridden the Victory? There's lots of mechanical noise. The transmission/shifting is clunky and loud. If you are thinking Victory is some advanced marvel of engineering refinement, you are going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I haven't rode one yet. Its still very much winter here.
Yes I am talking about the Arizona Victory videos.
I thought they were great in showing why the Vics engine was a step above the HD engine.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Yes I am talking about the Arizona Victory videos.
I thought they were great in showing why the Vics engine was a step above the HD engine.
For example...
The one oil reservoir for the engine, primary drive and transmission. It's convenient, yes, but there are distinct advantages to separate fluids for the three. Your engine oil does not need to be wet-clutch compatible. You can use transmission fluid in the transmission. The transmission and gear-driven primary are not shearing the crap out of the engine oil.

The gear-driven primary is loud and lashy, where a chain drive is quiet and eliminates slack/lash. The chain drive has a lot less shear on the oil used... and it's separate oil anyway.

Pushrods are fine at the rpm range these v-twins operate. American V-8 engines have used pushrods for how long? Indian is a pushrod engine, Yamaha uses pushrods, and Motus uses pushrods.

Overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder engines have been around for many decades. There is nothing new, technologically advanced, or high-tech about the Victory engine. It's a ****-simple design.

Point being, there are 2 sides to every coin.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
There are some better videos out there...

Don't get me wrong, Victory made some good bikes. They have a lot of thoughtful engineering and they handle great. Now that the company is not producing bikes any more, it's a crap shoot to purchase one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One would think with all that engineering and patented technology Polaris would want to keep it alive

1 - 20 of 42 Posts