Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Hoping to get a little help here. Bought a 2013 Cross Roads Classic at the end of last June with 15,500km on the clock. Tires are original Dunlop Elite 3. They were starting to crack, but nothing to concerning. Put about 7,500km over 3 months of riding. Pre winter storage inspection shows they are starting to cup so between age and cupping, new tires are in order. I was thinking Dunlop Elite 4s as direct replacement, but talking to a buddy who knows tons about bikes said I may want to consider a sport touring tire as it will provide better grip, all be it with a bit of a sacrifice on tread wear. Anyone tried this, if so what did you use?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I dont care for the Dunlap E sieres tread pattern. And mine on both bike (Yamaha and Victory) cupped and had a loud growel. So First change on the Victory I went with Contental Milestone I think they were. Nice tread design and wore well. Next I was in a bit of a cash bind and had run Shinkos previously on other bikes and was happy. So I got a Shinko 777. So far so good and the tread pattern is good in wet.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Hi. Hoping to get a little help here. Bought a 2013 Cross Roads Classic at the end of last June with 15,500km on the clock. Tires are original Dunlop Elite 3. They were starting to crack, but nothing to concerning. Put about 7,500km over 3 months of riding. Pre winter storage inspection shows they are starting to cup so between age and cupping, new tires are in order. I was thinking Dunlop Elite 4s as direct replacement, but talking to a buddy who knows tons about bikes said I may want to consider a sport touring tire as it will provide better grip, all be it with a bit of a sacrifice on tread wear. Anyone tried this, if so what did you use?
Your 800lb(360kg) XR will eat "sport-touring" tires alive....But there is an alternative...I swear by Avon Cobras, AV71 front \ AV72 rear. I'm 240lbs(108kg) and tend to ride hard, as well as doing plenty of two-up touring with my 150lbs(68kg) wife on the back. I get about 8,000 miles(12,900km) out of rear and double that out of the front. The Cobras provide phenomenal handing, as well as having good road manners and great wet traction.

If you'd like to see what I mean about the Avon Cobras performance, have a watch below(skip ahead to ~2min mark to get to the meat of the action). This is me pushing the XC through a very technical section of road in the Smoky Mountains last October(there's also a full "Tail of the Dragon" run in the playlist with this vid if you're interested). The tires never flinched, they just bit in and let me dance :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,716 Posts
Man!..that is a beeeutiful section of road and you ride it real well!:devil

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Man!..that is a beeeutiful section of road and you ride it real well!:devil
I've got to get back to those Mountains soon!!! That said, its the Avon Cobras that give me confidence to hang the bike on the edge like I did. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I ended up going Michelin commander II. I think that’s what they’re called. Read a ton of information about it last summer and that’s what I settled on. Of course got zillions of opinions about Bias versus radial but it came down to the fact that my local dealer (who I respect and like) said that most of their guys around there are having very good luck with them. And I wanted the higher mileage rating. So far so good I have no complaints.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Yup ran a set of those on my RSV Yamaha. Put 15k+ on the rear. Very good tire IMOP. I would have went with those on the Vic but was strapped at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
If you're open to running a 160/60 front tire, the Dunlop Roadsmart II (39 psi) I have has been 100% awesome. Plus it looks like it simply laughs off mileage. I currently have 32K, yes, 32K on the Dunlop Roadsmart mounted on the front of my CCT. It's a MT compound like the rear Dunlop E4 (41 psi) I just removed after 16K miles. The rear Dunlop E4 could have gone another couple thousand miles if I needed it to.

Just last week I had a Dunlop Winter Sport 3D runflat car tire installed on the back of my CCT. My initial impression is 100% impressed with it. The traction I experienced in a downpour of a rain storm under emergency braking simply made the case for the car tire. Yes, the traction is (was) that good. The suggestion for this car tire came from Rollin. He also suggested 36 to 38 psi so I'm starting at 37 psi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts