Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at trading a Victory Kingpin Tour for a Victory Vision Tour Premium. Comparing trade-in values, I'd have to come up with $2500 with trade. Comparing retail values, it moves up to a $3000 difference. If I have to pay Retail value - Trade-in value, it's $6250 and a deal breaker for me.

Any experience out there on trading at dealerships? The "art" of negotiating? What value does $1000 in accessories add?

My only experience is buying new with no trade.

Thanks! All negotiating secrets/experience welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Looking at trading a Victory Kingpin Tour for a Victory Vision Tour Premium. Comparing trade-in values, I'd have to come up with $2500 with trade. Comparing retail values, it moves up to a $3000 difference. If I have to pay Retail value - Trade-in value, it's $6250 and a deal breaker for me.

Any experience out there on trading at dealerships? The "art" of negotiating? What value does $1000 in accessories add?

My only experience is buying new with no trade.

Not much art there IMO. You are likely to lose a good percentage vs selling your machine outright, but you are paying for convenience. If you don't mind dealing with the public, you should sell it yourself. Otherwise, find trade in values from KBB and NADA. At least then you'll know what the fair market trade in value is going in.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's as much asking for what you want and dealer cash flow as anything else.. Getting what you want is the main thing and if you are trying to sell a MC not in high demand you may have a long wait. :(

Anything you do is a compromise. I just traded in a low demand hard to sell MC and did pretty well on both the trade in price and price of the 12 CCT.
*Timing + getting what you want is everything.. For the Vision - all the extras/comfort you are getting it seems like a great deal....
$1000 in accessories are important only if you plan on spending that kind of $ on accessories.. I did not get that offer extended to me and it did not matter as I was buying a XCT- The Sporty RoadSofa that did not need anything extra.... :^)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You looking at a 2012 or 2013?
I'm looking at a used 2009 Victory Vision Tour Premium (11K mi)and trading a 2008 Victory Kingpin Tour (12K mi). If I could afford a new one, I wouldn't be asking the question. :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Best thing to do is sell your bike outright and then buy the new one. It is more of a pain but just look at it as getting paid whatever the difference between trade in and retail for your troubles. If selling it yourself isn't worth the difference then think of it as paying your dealer that much to sell your bike for you.

As far as getting a better deal, something is only worth what some one is willing to pay and what someone else is willing to accept. Make an offer for what you think is fair. The dealer will either accept it, make a counter offer, or reject it. Find a price for both you can accept or find another dealer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
How do the sales taxes work where you are? Do you pay tax on the difference only?

I traded my '03 Wing in for my '13 CCT. Saved about $1000 on tax so one can add that as an extra "value" on the deal.

If you sell your trade privately and then purchase another, do you get any credit on the taxed value of what you sold your trade for?

·
Registered
212 Posts
+1 to what SemperVee said.

The dealer is in it strictly to make money. You are going to have to spend the extra $3000 (a little less when you factor in the sales tax saved as ST mentioned) for the convenience to get into the bike you want now. How much is your time worth to try to sell it yourself? You may end up saving maybe up to $1k that way, but it probably won't be quick.

I personally have no patience, so I would end up spending the extra $$$ to get the deal done quick. But to each his own. cheers

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just traded a 2009 Yamaha 950 Toure with 24k miles in on a 2013 Victory Boardwalk, got $5500 off the price of the Boardwalk.
More than likely the same dealer your dealing at.
They now have that bike listed on there web site asking $6999.

I doubt they will get that kind of money as I had the Yama up for sale since last fall asking $5750 and only got 2 inquries.

I had just sunk $1700 into the yama, new drive sprockets and belt, along with new back tire last fall befor putting it way for the season.

I got this deal with payments at $245/month and could have gotten the Boardwalk at $298/month with no trade, but did not need a third bike so I took the $5500 they offered in trade.
I even power washed the bike on the way to drop off the yama and pick up the Boardwalk.

Hail and rain comming at you sideways does not feel good as 65mph but the buggs where all washed off the bike as I rolled into the parking lot.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
As I have stated before, in this type of thread...There is ONLY one thing that is important in a trade deal; Cash Difference. It does not matter what your trade is worth. It does not matter what they want for their vehicle. The only thing that matters is how much will you have to shell out to fill the gap. Period.
Re accessories and/or add-ons for the vehicle you intend to buy; have your list made out and hand a copy to the dealer so he knows exactly what you want and can include them in the deal.
I never deal with salespeople, I want the sales manager or the fleet manager or I walk.
Class dismissed.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Or you can come down my way where the closest two dealerships are so small that the salesman is also the owner! Has Ricz said, do your homework and work on a price of the bike with all the extras you want and don't play the game of "I'll sell you the bike for this and give you this for your trade", it is just a shell game. If you are trading just get the total price out the door (not including tax, title, and tags) and have it in writing, including all the extra fees which should be part of the price you agree on. Most important is to start calling every dealer within a 5 hour radius of you. Be surprised the difference in prices you will get.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Big fan of the walk away. I need this much for my bike so the cash difference is. If you can't agree you say thank you for your time and get up and walk away, never leave them your keys, you won't make it to the door. Price on trade up, discount up, cash difference about where you want to be. New bike that day, big smile, enjoyable ride home. cheers

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I have stated before, in this type of thread...There is ONLY one thing that is important in a trade deal; Cash Difference.
Cash Difference Indeed! With dealer quoted trade-in, that figures to be about $6500-$7000 on this deal (or no deal in this case).

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll be ridin' my Kingpin Tour around Lake Superior this summer.

In WI, you only pay taxes on the cash difference, so there is some added value on a trade vs. selling out right.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just traded a 2009 Yamaha 950 Toure with 24k miles in on a 2013 Victory Boardwalk, got $5500 off the price of the Boardwalk.
More than likely the same dealer your dealing at.
They now have that bike listed on there web site asking $6999.

I doubt they will get that kind of money as I had the Yama up for sale since last fall asking $5750 and only got 2 inquries.
I see your bike at said dealership. You seem to have done well. Your Yamaha was probably under $10K new. I cannot deal with said dealership, except they do have a Vision Street model for $11,500. They always seem to be priced high. Enjoy your Boardwalk! Cool looking Victory. Message me if you ever want to ride 178 up to Cornell for ice cream at Dylan's Dairy.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Do you really care what you get for your existing bike or what you give for the new one. I seriously doubt it. What you care about is what it will cost you to trade your present ride for a new one once all costs have been taken into account. I am a cash trader and ask for out the door prices while I present my trade for the dealer's consideration. I ride in on my trade and allow them to inspect it to their heart's content. If someone quotes me 15000 for a new bike and will give me 10000 for my trade, he will lose to a dealer that quotes me 40000 on the new bike but will give me 36000 for my trade. Why, it is simple, one guy wants 5000 of my cash and the other only wants 4000 of my money. The guy who only wants 4000 from me is the one I will deal with.
When I deal with a dealer I am always very respectful of their position but I expect them to equally respect my position. I care only about "out of pocket" expenses that I will incur. They really care most about the net that they can expect from the transaction with me. Each of us has a position to occupy and each of us has a possibility of compromise. I am wide open to whatever it takes for the dealer to give me the best net cost, and I really don't care what any of the paperwork shows. If something works better for the dealer and does not harm me, I am going to go with what they think is best. If they want to do something that harms me with little benefit to the dealer, they have not come to the right place to make that deal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As I have stated before, in this type of thread...There is ONLY one thing that is important in a trade deal; Cash Difference. It does not matter what your trade is worth. It does not matter what they want for their vehicle. The only thing that matters is how much will you have to shell out to fill the gap. Period.
Re accessories and/or add-ons for the vehicle you intend to buy; have your list made out and hand a copy to the dealer so he knows exactly what you want and can include them in the deal.
I never deal with salespeople, I want the sales manager or the fleet manager or I walk.
Class dismissed.
just remember, we salespeople don't really want to deal with you either....we actually hate it when someone walks into our dealership with a big chip on his shoulder acting like a hardass. Its really not necessary. In fact the salesperson can be your best ally to get you what you want.

I'm going to assume since you've had lots of bikes since 1952 that you've been around awhile. You've probably dealt with your fair share of idiots...........20 years in sales......so have I.

My point is, give the salesman a chance. tell him or her what your trying to accomplish and let them do their job. It doesn't have to be an adversarial experience. my advise to the OP would be to tell the salesperson what he wants, and what cash plus his trade he has. If that bike doesn't work, then he might have another come in that will. I do that for my customers all the time.:soapbox:

If it weren't for salespeople out there doing their job, most people wouldn't have a job.

·
Registered
98 Posts

My dealer sold at MSRP but he gave me around mid-retail for my trade in. He simply asked what I wanted for it, I told him what I'd offered to sell for on the street and he hit close enough.

If the numbers would not have worked then we live to deal another day! One can always walk away for a while or talk to another dealer.

I think one key is just knowing what you want and what you'll settle for.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I think one key is just knowing what you want and what you'll settle for.

Knowing the tick boxes to check off in your own list is important if you want to deal (something that is a separate activity from the buying and owning experience and something that apparently is not exercised around here much.)

As important is having a sense of what the salesman wants and what he will settle for. Since some of the peeps here are in sales I won't list those tick boxes. Suffice to say a pro salesman has some priorities that are diametrically opposed to the buyers. This is common sense stuff. Overriding that is a shared priority that both want to exchange goods for compensation. That's a good base to start from but Pop does not approach a vehicle sale from the perspective that the salesman is my ally. He has a job to do and it includes getting more out of me than I want to give him.

There's an old fable about the frog giving the scorpion a ride on his back. Don't be a frog.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How do the sales taxes work where you are? Do you pay tax on the difference only?

I traded my '03 Wing in for my '13 CCT. Saved about $1000 on tax so one can add that as an extra "value" on the deal.

If you sell your trade privately and then purchase another, do you get any credit on the taxed value of what you sold your trade for?
In West Virginia it's called a "title tax". The only benefit here is you pay on the actual monetary transaction. Kind of like an income tax deduction. Trade cuts cash off the deal and leaves less taxable dollars on the table. It's 5% here. So it amounts to $50 savings per $1000 trade. Not a lot but something. Every state is different I would guess.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The other side is ride time. You no longer want your old bike, you want the new or newer one. You hold out for the extra few bucks and miss a month of enjoying the new ride. How mich is that worth????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts