Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if it was a fluke or not. Came into my garage after a ride today, as usual put it neutral as I got close to the wall, and I saw the green N for neutral and let out clutch lever and it konked off. Must have still been in gear. Does it sound like something is wrong? I will see it this repeats tomorrow but wondered if someone knows something on this. thanks.
BTW enjoying the heck out of this bike. 1400 miles

maurice

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I took my motorcycle saftey course I was taught to never ever count on them as I would bet every company has this issue kinda like a one in a million thing

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
It's Italian!

After years on a Guzzi, I NEVER trust those lights, although I must say that mine seems to be accurate to a fault. Indeed, sometimes, after indicating Neutral (and a released clutch), when I go to engage First, the bike slips into gear as if it was half-way there already. I'm guessing the fork feelers are not foolproof.

·
Registered
229 Posts
idk how victory is but on the bikes i've seen, there is an electrical post that will detect when the gear change shaft is in the "N" position, thus meaning it really has no idea what is going on in the transmission, just "when the shaft is in this position and everything worked perfectly, it shouldn't be in gear" so its not fool proof.

my vulcan did kind of like mentioned, "N" light was on but when i let the clutch out it fell into gear and killed it.

·
13,026 Posts
I would go to a parking lot and try several times. Yes you can have a false N
Maybe check your wires just in case one is not all the way on.
Vic has a poor shifter drum thats why we get it.
I bet that wall was really close to you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would go to a parking lot and try several times. Yes you can have a false N
Maybe check your wires just in case one is not all the way on.
Vic has a poor shifter drum thats why we get it.
I bet that wall was really close to you.
Yes Johnny that wall was close. I think it has done this before as it takes just a split second longer to really be in neutral. Today it rained all day so I couldn't check again. Will try and trace the wires and see if they are on ok. thanks.

maurice

·
Registered
442 Posts
for this reason, I never let out the clutch in "neutral" without one or more of the brakes applied.

bikes are like guns that way- always assume they're loaded, or in gear ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tell my wife all the time when she starts her bike without having the clutch in that the only thing that light proves is that the bulb is not burned out :ltr:

I've had mine do it a couple times as well.. I just keep an eye on it ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I posted on this for the 2010 bikes (see you ride a 2011) in the tech forum. That said, the Victory Switch at the clutch is a sensitive POS. It is not uncommon for them to fail. If it keeps happing take it in as it is a safety issue. If the light is on and the bike is in gear the bike WILL try to start in gear. This can result in the bike coming of the side stand and on the rider. VICTORY will replace this with no issues...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I posted on this for the 2010 bikes (see you ride a 2011) in the tech forum. That said, the Victory Switch at the clutch is a sensitive POS. It is not uncommon for them to fail. If it keeps happing take it in as it is a safety issue. If the light is on and the bike is in gear the bike WILL try to start in gear. This can result in the bike coming of the side stand and on the rider. VICTORY will replace this with no issues...
thank you sir. Will do.
thanks. I rode many times today off and on and it did not happen again. Touchy I guess.

maurice

·
Registered
10 Posts
Neutral light.

I was told by my local dealer mechanic that a diode in the the ACM has gone bad. The neutral light is on when bike is in neutral, and when the bike is in gear and clutch lever is pulled in. The light goes out when you start letting out the clutch and comes back on and then off every time you shift. Does that sound like your problem also?

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
I always shut mine off in gear. I have had one fall before . So it will not roll. Then when I get ready to start it I find neutral. Some times you can feel on the shifter with your foot if it is still in gear by the vibrations. Each bike is different like companies..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts