Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing an '09 Vegas 8-Ball from my brother-in-law. He bought it new in 2010 and never rode it. The thing still has the expired temp tags on it from when his friend rode it home from the dealership for him since he didn't and still doesn't have a motorcycle license. The thing only has 11 miles on the odometer. Having said this, is there anything special I should/need to do to this to make it ride ready. I don't think he ever changed the oil in it or ran a tank of gas through it. Any info would be great guys!!

Chad

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
What to do.

First thing I would do is get rid of any gas in it at all. I doubt the battery is any good also,but it is worth trying to put a charger on it. If it was stored in a nice dry place I would not worry about the oil. If it has not been started since 09, I would be tempted to pull the plugs and squirt a little oil down each cylinder. Let it set a couple of days and then try turning the engine over without the plugs in it. The oil will blow out the plug holes and make a mess,but it washes off. Then install the plugs.Add some new gas and see if it fires up. If it does be sure and fill the tires up to the correct pressure. Also check the brake fluid levels and make sure the brakes work. Then go for a scoot if it seems to run good. :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would dump the gas, replace the battery, check the air box and general wiring for rodent nests or chewed wires. Also check the tire pressure and for dry rot cracks. If its been stored inside in a dry place I'd just check the oil level and condition if it looks good run it for to 500 miles then change it. This thread needs pictures. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'm going to have him trailer the bike up to my house for me being that they live 60 miles away and don't want the first trip to be wrought with problems.

He has kept it in the garage for the life of the bike covered with blankets. He is in the military and when he was deployed he had people start it occassionally for him but I don't know how often or when the last time it was started.

I will try and get over and take some pictures of it in the next few weeks. I think we are planning on going down next weekend for an overnight trip so I would like to get some pics then.

Chad

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well it sounds like it was stored well. You shouldn't have to much trouble. Let us know how it goes.wac

·
Registered
690 Posts
Well, I just bought a brand new left over '09 Kingpin 8 Ball. But it was at a dealer, with no oil, or battery in it. They took it in the back and went over it with a fine tooth come. Took them 2.5 hours. They checked every nut/bolt/cable, etc. filled the thing with oil, and pulled the plugs. jacked up the bike and spun the back tire. Told me, they were priming the oil pump (not sure about that). But I was glad they checked everything they did. Maybe worth a visit to a shop/Vic mechanic to have them check it out. And.... You're going to love it.... I do mine !

·
Registered
690 Posts
The left over '09 Kingpin I just bought, was 10k dollars plus tax. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We all wanna help out a family member especially the ones in the military but 12k is bit to much for that bike considering brand new one costs 12.4k.
I know what you mean. I just found a local ad here in Colorado for a '12 Vegas 8 Ball for $12,500. I think the $14k was what he bought it for because he had the Stage 1 Swept pipes on it, heated grips, and pin striping.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know what you mean. I just found a local ad here in Colorado for a '12 Vegas 8 Ball for $12,500. I think the $14k was what he bought it for because he had the Stage 1 Swept pipes on it, heated grips, and pin striping.
Don't forget that the brother in law is military and Victory offers $1000 off for all military. The bike is 12.5k new without that discount. I'd offer the dude $10,500

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well not to bring this thread back from the dead, but it looks like I am going to be the proud new owner of an '09 Vegas 8 Ball!!! My brother-in-law and I have agreed on $12,500 and he is only asking for $100 a month as payment. I am already signed up for my Basic Riders Course on the 22nd of this month and plan on picking it up the following weekend.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well not to bring this thread back from the dead, but it looks like I am going to be the proud new owner of an '09 Vegas 8 Ball!!! My brother-in-law and I have agreed on $12,500 and he is only asking for $100 a month as payment. I am already signed up for my Basic Riders Course on the 22nd of this month and plan on picking it up the following weekend.
Thats how much they cost new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is what I have seen too. The thing is he isn't charging me interest and I'm not in a position to get a favorable loan on my own. Also, the thing only has 18 miles on it so it is like it is brand new.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, we thought of that one too. He agreed to put $2,000 for the sale price on the bill of sale.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would take it to a dealer and let them go through it. The entire fuel system needs to be cleaned. If anything gets into an injector and clogs it, it will cause severe damage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would take it to a dealer and let them go through it. The entire fuel system needs to be cleaned. If anything gets into an injector and clogs it, it will cause severe damage.
Is there something that could get in there just by sitting this long? What would the dealership do to clean it out and is it something that could be done at home?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the fuel has jelled it will clog the injectors. Fuel today does not have the "shelf life" it used to do to the ethanol. My friend recently spent $6k rebuilding an outboard motor because the injectors were clogged from bad fuel. I personally think the dealership would be better equipped to remove the filter, injectors, pump, lines, tank, and clean, inspect, test, put back together and road test. Better safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts