Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the comments,

I have recently bought 00 V92 SC from its first owner. The bike has been sitting in the garage for 4 years. I bought new battery and tried to start. The engine turns over but, it doesn't start. When I turn the key and turn the start switch, I can hear the fuel pump in the tank is priming around 3 seconds and stops. Also,I inspected the both metal gas pipes that are coming out the tank and going to engine has gas in it.

Also, I drained the tank about 80 % and filled with the 93 octane gas and sea foam and still no luck... I inspected the fuses.. and relays.

Any other thing that I should check ? I bought two new sparks but I guess I need to remove the tank to replace the sparks....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Those metal tubes coming from the tank have filter screens in them. They get sludged very easily. Take out and clean/replace.

I would advise taking tank off to do. While tank off, check plugs for fire from wires. Change plugs and CLEAN THROTTLE BODY!

If you fix without cleaning throttle bodies, you'll end up pulling tank again to do. Dirty TB's will lower idle.

Check air filter while doing this. No air= no run.
If none of above works, disconnect fuel line going to throttle body. Turn on switch and see if fuel pump is pushing gas. Even if is, you'll prob want to check pressure. They can move gas but not enough force. If that's the case, you'll want Ryland to rebuild fuel pump.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I will remove the tank. Are there only four bolts, they are holding the tank on the engine ? two on the front, under the handlebar, and the other two that are located front of diver seat right ? also, i will loosen the metal claps that are holding the rubber pipes that are connected to gas tank`s metal pipe. I will loosen them and thats it right ?

·
Registered
537 Posts
The 2 metal tubes at the back of the tank go into a "T". There is a quick disconnect on the T. BE CAREFULL !!!!!!! The T is plastic and gets brittle. Torque it and it WILL break. When you undo the T, no fuel should come out ?????? Usually, I siphon the gas into a can before removal. Makes it lighter and easier to handle. Afterwards, you can take the rubber lines off of the metal tubes. The filters will probably be very gunked up. As you raise the tank, you'll notice wires connected. They go to the fuel pump in the tank. Disconnect them and probably a rubber vent line also. Really not that bad to do. 14 fingers about 12" long helps.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I did everything that you recommended, emptied the tank, cleaned up the tubes, and cleaned the throttle body and replaced the sparks. Bike started pretty good. I put 100 miles on highway after the clean up process. The fuel filter and the fuel pump on this model is located under the seat and its under the shock absorber and it is not easy to reach so I couldn't touch them. However I noticed the motorcycle at 3000 rpm over 60 mph coughing when the fuel level low, if its under 1 gallon of gas, it won't go even, could it be the reason of dirt or particulars inside the tank ? or dirty filter ? ( it doesn't make that when it has enough gas ) what could be the average gas consumption for this bike, I realized that it sucks a lot of gas.. is it normal ? Are there any reserve in the gas tank that I should turn when the low gas sign is on ?

thanks

Alper

·
Registered
537 Posts
Not sure about the running rough at low gas and especially the backfiring only then. When you drained the tank, did you flush it out? The red coating in the earlier models had issues with flaking. When you cleaned the TB's, did you clean below the butterflies, with them open? The TB boot is notorious for cracking with age on the earlier models. You can even set the TPS with a trailer hitch plug for a Chevy S-10 as a jumper.... Main issue is probably the stock chip in that model. There are a couple of different chips available. Do a search on here for "Rylan". He's about the best on the older models.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I did clean the TB`s top part, side parts. Also sprayed while they are open. I didn't flush the tank. But I have seen little bit sand type of rusty looking particulars inside the tank. I am positive that is the reason of backfiring at low gas level. I may need to take tank off and clean completely. How do you clean the tank ? Some people use white vinegar and some bolts and let them sit couple of days inside the tank while its filled with vinegar. Or I should just use hot water ? I forgot to tell you I used w40 for cleaning the pipes and tubes.

·
12,968 Posts
Alpe Oz
Victories all of them have popping you can't get away from it.
Don't put bolts in your tank because it will knock off the seal coating. Not sure what you should use to clean it but don't use water.
Maybe the seal coating is letting loose on the inside of your tank.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just slosh a little bit of gas around in tank and let it drain out the 2 metal tubes, SEVERAL TIMES. Make sure to turn the tank upside down when sloshing the gas. You just want to rinse all particulate out of the tank. If the red coating is flaking, that will present a problem you'll probably have to address with KREEM or some other brand of tank liner.

The backfiring is probably caused by the stock chip. Even the Victory Off-Road chip was not that great. PMRT programs chips and there was a WV Superchip. I used the Superchip in both my 2000 and 2001 SC and no popping or backfiring issues.

Once you do all that, you can tweak the adjustments with the jumper I mentioned earlier and adjust the idle to spec.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts