Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been eyeing the Hammer for about 2 years now and finally decided to retire my BMW R1200C for something American-made and a bit less costly to own/maintain. I really liked the look of the toxic green color scheme, so I started doing some non-localized Craigslist searches when I cam upon an ad for an 07 Hammer S still new at the dealer priced down to $11K. Seemed way too good to be true, but the dealer was about 140 miles away so I figured I'd take an afternoon jaunt over to see for myself. Seemed like a weird, out-of-the-way place for a Vic dealer and it looked like they got WAY more foot traffic for their ATVs and tractors than the Vics. Sure enough, that black and red S really was still new, had 12 miles on the odo, and just hadn't ever been snagged each time a new model year came out. Needless to say, I pulled the trigger and am now a proud owner a beautiful new 07 S model that still has a factory warranty on it! I've already put about 200 miles on the odo and other than breaking my butt on the stock seat, I couldn't be happier. Will definitely have to have it checked over at another dealer--check seals and gaskets for cracking/replacement after sitting so long, but everything sure looks perfect!

I picked up a service manual, put on the Stage 1 slip-ons (I liked the look of the stock exhausts), and am now considering some Victoryonly and Witchdoctor bling along with a few chrome bits and pieces (chrome fender rails, starter cover, kickstand, etc.). Was curious what the consensus was about "must-do" checks, tweaks, issues on these Hammers, or Vic bikes in general with the 100in engine...things that have been known to cause trouble or need attention to avoid even more costly repairs down the road. Anything I absolutely should have at the ready in the garage for wrenching down the road.

Also, and forgive me because I know this will sound like a REALLY dumb question, but how do you tell how high you can fill up the tank? I have a 5-gallon filler at home and always gas up before my wife and I hit the road (she has a '10 Vegas) so I don't have an auto shut-off filler spout at a gas station to go by. The reason I ask is because we also have a pair of Piaggio MP3 500 scoots and if you fill those up too high at the filler neck, the gas can expand in hot weather and eventually clog up the rollover valve. I know these Vic tanks are vented, so how full can/should you go? I had originally thought that I should only fill up past the little silver lip I see at the bottom of the tank, but I'm starting to wonder if that's actually the BOTTOM of the tank and not the start of a bend where the fuel disappears deeper into the hollow tank below. Would appreciate any advice...and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome to the forum!cheers

These bike's are pretty solid and will probably save you some cash over the BMW in the long run. As for getting it checked out at another dealer. I would take it to a independent shop to have it looked over. It may cost you a small fee but you will get a honest opinion. I used to be a automotive tech at a car dealer and can say unless it's leaking or falling off the dealer tech's are told not to try and upsell warranty repairs. This is because each dealer has a rating for there region. The lower they keep there warranty claims the better there rating with the company is.

I have just over 12k mile's on my hammer and the only issue that has come up twice now is the clutch cable has broken. Make sure to keep that nice and lubed up around the clutch lever. With the bike that old even though it's brand new I would change the oil in the engine right away then change it again after the break in period. Generally 5 month's or 2500 miles is what I go by to make sure it stays fresh. As for the gas, I have always just eyeballed it in the tank to top it off by the cap. Keep a eye on those air pressure's in the tire's too the dunlop's tend to wear a little funny if you don't. Other then that enjoy the bike, it doesn't mind being ridden hard.thumb up

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

These bike's are pretty solid and will probably save you some cash over the BMW in the long run. As for getting it checked out at another dealer. I would take it to a independent shop to have it looked over. It may cost you a small fee but you will get a honest opinion. I used to be a automotive tech at a car dealer and can say unless it's leaking or falling off the dealer tech's are told not to try and upsell warranty repairs. This is because each dealer has a rating for there region. The lower they keep there warranty claims the better there rating with the company is.

I have just over 12k mile's on my hammer and the only issue that has come up twice now is the clutch cable has broken. Make sure to keep that nice and lubed up around the clutch lever. With the bike that old even though it's brand new I would change the oil in the engine right away then change it again after the break in period. Generally 5 month's or 2500 miles is what I go by to make sure it stays fresh. As for the gas, I have always just eyeballed it in the tank to top it off by the cap. Keep a eye on those air pressure's in the tire's too the dunlop's tend to wear a little funny if you don't. Other then that enjoy the bike, it doesn't mind being ridden hard.thumb up
Thanks for the pointers...I'll have to recheck the Dunny's when I get home today for proper pressure. I did see a LOT of talk about the clutch cable failing during my initial research; so much so that I'm strongly considering the hydraulic upgrade. Interesting about the dealer ratings on repairs...I'd certainly be willing to have it given the once-over by an independent shop (esp given that the closest dealer is a good hour and a half up the road).

·
Registered
566 Posts

Since I'ma new hammer owner this will be very useful, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been using moly engine grease on the clutch cable ends and clean, inspect and lube the ends at every oil change on my Hammer. So far so good approaching 12,000 miles on her..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for all the advice. I did pick up a hydraulic clutch kit, and I think I'm going to put another one on my wife's Vegas to combat the tough cable pull she's complaining off after every ride. After extensive research, it does seem like clutch line breakages are the only real consistent trouble-spots on this bike if they develop any kind of trouble at all.

·
Registered
566 Posts
where do you get these kits? Is this aftermarket or a Victory option?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
where do you get these kits? Is this aftermarket or a Victory option?
Buywitchdoctors has them listed for sale...but you can find them at OEM dealers too. Installation looks pretty straightforward though I'll probably have my dealer do ours when the bikes go in for their annual servicing anyway...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I will do this myself, I'm a DIY kind a person, so it's nice to hear it's a fairly simple task.

·
Registered
112 Posts
With my latest clutch cable there is some good news. Victory has updated the part and put a teflon looking coating over top of the steel mesh cable inside of the black sleeve it stays in. I hear most of the newer bike's don't have issue's with the clutch cable and my guess is because of this updated part. I suppose time will tellcheers

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That does sound like good news. Is there an updated part number too?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't quote me on this but I believe the old part has been discontinued and won't be available unless it's a left over. I didn't check the part number's but I am sure they changed it slightly by adding one or two letter's/numbers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts