Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Team:

New owner here. Got the bike a week and a half ago. So far 480 miles or pure joy. Last 3 days when I push the start button the bike cranks but do not start, cycle the red switch back to off/on and push start and bike starts. This happens every time I try to start the bike, the temperature is on the 70's and bike is left overnite connected to a battery tender. Today in the morning it took 3 attempts doing the off/on before the bike started. When I get to work today in the morning after heavy rush hour traffic, I try to start the bike as a test and still the same. the very first attempt seems like the battery is going bad, all the display turn off for a second and then bike starts. This is a new bike that has been sitting in the dealers warehouse, could it be a bad battery?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
First thing you should do is pull your battery cables off and add a star washer to each side. When you put the cables back on make sure to tighten then fairly snug with a wrench.

Charging, starting and other various electrical gremlins are fairly common with the X bikes and this fix normally straightens them out.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sir. That makes sense I installed a LED scanning light and perhaps the bolt/nut holding the cables is becoming loose?

·
13,188 Posts
As long as your going into the battery charge it over night pull battery and on your way home from work stop at auto parts store and have them do a load test on battery. That will tell you if its any good or not.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

UPDATE!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Leaving work today the bike didn't start at all!. It just clicks when pressing the start button. I re-tighten the battery connections and checked the fuses. Everything seems fine. The security guard came with one of those battery starters and the voltage shows 12.4 - 12.6, with the external charger/starter connected. No luck.!! :mad::mad::mad: Today in the morning I had trouble starting the bike but it finally start. Around lunch time I went to start the bike and it starts perfectly two times in a row. When I left work the temperature drop to around the mid 50's. I know that batterys are very suceptible to cold weather but not sure if this is the case.

Hope the dealer can come tomorrow and pick up the bike. I have a trip already planned for this Easter weekend with my lovely GF.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to thoroughly clean the battery cable clamps and posts. Add the start washers.
Is a two week old bike. All the cables and connections look fine. Going back right now to use a car and jumper cables.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery. Yep even on a new bike a battery can be bad. Take it out like VJ said and get it tested.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back from the parking garage and it didn't work!!!:mad:

Was using a car to jump the battery, the volt meter on the bike was reading a solid 14V.

Page 516 of the Service Manual explains if the battery is fine is the starter motor. I can hear the starter relay clicking but that's all.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Back to the dealer for a new starter then! Don't get dis courage. keep us posted.

·
13,188 Posts
that security guard might be not working right or wired right
un hook it and see what happens

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talk to the Service Manager at the dealership and they are sending someone to my workplace to change the battery. He says that the voltage can show correct but the battery still not providing enough current (AMPs) to start the bike. Without the load test there's no way to know if the battery is fine or not.

Will keep you updated guys.

Thanks for all the reply's and comments.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dang it!!!:mad:

The dealership just call and told me they can not be here until tomorrow after lunch because the new battery is still charging.

How long it takes a new battery to charge?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last update:

Hello Team: :)

Dealer came yesterday morning and replaced the battery but that was NOT the problem. Around noon they send someone with a trailer and they took it to the dealership. They replaced the starter motor and bike is now functional again. The Service Manager mentioned that this is the first time they see something like this. The bike just turn out 500 miles in less than two weeks. I can feel the engine is getting smoother. Thanks for all the responses and advice.thumb up

cheerscheerscheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Glad it worked out for you , and that you can make your Easter ride !cheers

·
13,188 Posts
Yup batterys are a mistry. My 08 still has the orignal battery. On my h-d's if I got 3 tears out of one I was lucky. Same battery as we have and same company makes them.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Good to hear its running now!

The engine will take about 5000 miles before it's broken in fairly well so it'll just keep getting better.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to hear its running now!

The engine will take about 5000 miles before it's broken in fairly well so it'll just keep getting better.
Will wait for the warranty to expire (1 year?) and then will start the mods. At least new mufflers and the PCV. In the meantime I will go with the Heavy Metal Designs "XC Bagger Bars" and the addition of an amp (Rockfordfosgate PBR300X4) and speakers.
I put 500 miles in a week and a half. Love this bike!!

Still trying to get used to the weight at slow speed maneuvers. Once moving I have no issues handling the bike. Rode a HD Road Glide some time ago and it felt heavier. I hurt my wrist trying to hold the Road Glide when I almost drop it on the driveway!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Doing bolt on items should keep the mod fever down a bit for the year until your warranty expires.

I picked my bike up on a Friday and broke 500 miles before the following Monday. Needless to say I'm glad I called the dealership on Saturday to schedule a Monday appointment.

It's a big bike so the slow speed stuff takes a bit to master. Weaving through parking spots in an empty parking lot a few times should help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts