Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Just bought a 2016 cct. Anything I should know about this great bike?
Oh gawd, where to start. New or used? New rider or experienced? Owned a big V-twin before? Owned a Victory before? I'll start there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been riding for years. Just traded in my 2014 yamaha raider for my victory. My victory was a brand new leftover.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Vics take a good while to break in. I swear mine got better every five thousand miles up to 20K.

Then with a few little mods you can really make it run.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Thanks, that helps. Here are some tips....
+ It'll take about 3K miles to completely break in.
+ Break it in like you would your Raider, use the revs.
+ Preload the shifter for smoother and quieter shifting.
+ Do not air the shock with compressor air, use only a small hand pump. Amazon has 'em.
+ When starting, crack the throttle open 1/8 turn / wait for fuel pump to stop priming / hold starter until engine is running / warm for one minute.
+ Place lock washers under the battery terminal bolts - they have a tendency to loosen.
+ Tires; 40 front / 42 rear.
+ Check oil level with bike vertical and dipstick screwed in.
+ Ask questions here before you do something you'll regret.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Pipes are really personal. Depends on what you want to hear.

As for the tuner the vote usually goes to the Power Commander V but the Maximus is really popular as it is able to mod your ecu and therefore change your timing meaning you don't have to get a adjustable timing wheel.

But a PCV and timing wheel is still a very common combo.

·
13,177 Posts
Kevman1386

welcome if you want victory stuff look on there web page there selling every thing at 60%. They don't have much for performance.
Please do what I ask in red letters

·
Registered
483 Posts
Anybody know why the victorys are getting a raw gas smell when I ride
Did you recently fill up with the bike upright and not on the side stand?

Or was your bikes tank full and parked in the sun?

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Anybody know why the victorys are getting a raw gas smell when I ride
Common problem on the XC's but I thought they fixed it in later models.

What it is is the vent tube which comes out the left side under the seat is getting crushed and closed off so the tank needs to vent some other way. That way is through the gas cap.

The fix is to move the tube so it isn't being flattened out while riding. I went another direction and put in different tubing and routed it another way. Problem solved.

Here is how one person fixed it. If you do an advanced search of "gas smell" under Cross Country you will get lots more info.

Also; please put the year and model of your bike in your signature so we can easily know what bike we're talking about instead of hunting for it. Thanks much. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Congratulations and welcome! Your CCT is sure to please for many, many years to come. You've been given excellent advice from others here. I love the Raider and would welcome your thoughts on it after owning one.

The 106 likes to run and rev so there's no use in using 6th gear unless you're at a steady 80mph or above. The engine is quite happy above 3000rpm. In 6th gear at 80mph you're only turning 3000rpm.

But it's a noisy engine by design and loves more air in and a better breathing exhaust. The Lloyds air filter should be on your "Buy It Now" list. So should the Lloyds 1/4 turn throttle ring and the Lloyds timing wheel set at +4.

Then there's a matter of exhaust. There are lots of options available. I had the Tri Ovals on my CCT for about 40K miles and thought they sounded great. Then I installed the Raging Cajun Medium Low & Throaty and really fell in love with the sound. You simply can't beat the price of the Raging Cajun's either. Dave is the man who makes them, from modifying your oem mufflers, and he's as honest and knowledgable as they come.

The PCV should be considered at the same time you modify the exhaust and the intake. These bikes run lean from the factory and running more air in and out only leans them out more. You can, and certainly should, disconnect the O2 sensors as a temporary measure. But getting the PCV is the better way to go. My PCV has been perfect for well over 40K miles.

You're likely to read a whole lot about engine and exhaust heat with the CCT. Most of what you read is true. My advise is to never open the lower vents all the way at anything above parade mode. Doing so will spill a lot of heat directly onto your legs, thighs and butt. At most temperatures and riding conditions, leaving them open about 2" works best.

Otherwise, fill the tank, run it dry enjoying yourself and repeat as often as possible.

Then treat yourself and your CCT to Lloyds cams asap.

But please, don't ask about oil and filters. Just change it often with whatever non full synthetic properly rated oil you prefer and let it go at that. :)

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Congratulations and welcome! Your CCT is sure to please for many, many years to come. You've been given excellent advice from others here. I love the Raider and would welcome your thoughts on it after owning one.

The 106 likes to run and rev so there's no use in using 6th gear unless you're at a steady 80mph or above. The engine is quite happy above 3000rpm. In 6th gear at 80mph you're only turning 3000rpm.

But it's a noisy engine by design and loves more air in and a better breathing exhaust. The Lloyds air filter should be on your "Buy It Now" list. So should the Lloyds 1/4 turn throttle ring and the Lloyds timing wheel set at +4.

Then there's a matter of exhaust. There are lots of options available. I had the Tri Ovals on my CCT for about 40K miles and thought they sounded great. Then I installed the Raging Cajun Medium Low & Throaty and really fell in love with the sound. You simply can't beat the price of the Raging Cajun's either. Dave is the man who makes them, from modifying your oem mufflers, and he's as honest and knowledgable as they come.

The PCV should be considered at the same time you modify the exhaust and the intake. These bikes run lean from the factory and running more air in and out only leans them out more. You can, and certainly should, disconnect the O2 sensors as a temporary measure. But getting the PCV is the better way to go. My PCV has been perfect for well over 40K miles.

You're likely to read a whole lot about engine and exhaust heat with the CCT. Most of what you read is true. My advise is to never open the lower vents all the way at anything above parade mode. Doing so will spill a lot of heat directly onto your legs, thighs and butt. At most temperatures and riding conditions, leaving them open about 2" works best.

Otherwise, fill the tank, run it dry enjoying yourself and repeat as often as possible.

Then treat yourself and your CCT to Lloyds cams asap.

But please, don't ask about oil and filters. Just change it often with whatever non full synthetic properly rated oil you prefer and let it go at that. :)
I don't think Mark means let the tank run totally dry too many times or you'll be up for the cost of a new fuel pump.
Pump is submersible in the fuel tank and needs fuel to cool it.
try not to run out.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I don't think Mark means let the tank run totally dry too many times or you'll be up for the cost of a new fuel pump.
Pump is submersible in the fuel tank and needs fuel to cool it.
try not to run out.

Yes, absolutely, refuel when the light comes on and then repeat as often as possible. Thank you for that clarification.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts