Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta say I like the overall lines, look, and power of this Bonnie. If I were in the market for a mid-sized cruiser; this would be one I would look at long and hard. I found myself riding next to a guy on a fairly new Bonnie just the other day and was impressed by its quickness and agility. He easily out rode me on my heavy XC. Might have even been quicker than my 92 ci KP.

Click on the link below to learn more. I haven't seen a price yet but other 1200cc Bonnie's are starting at $11,800.

The All-New 2018 Bonneville Speedmaster. Cruiser Awesomeness.

Published by Cyril Huze October 5th, 2017
It was unveiled last Tuesday, and after the huge success of the Triumph Bobber launched one year ago – the fastest selling model in Triumph 115-year history – one could wonder if Triumph would be able to create another hit in such a short time. And the company didn’t disappoint, offering a Cruiser with brutally beautiful lines inspired by the brand 50”s and 60’s iconic models. What many people call pure Classic English Styling.

It seems to be a variation of the Bonnie Bobber out this year.

Bobber | Triumph Motorcycles

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I'll take one of each. Please and thank you.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
I also saw that in an email I received this morning and my first thought was, This is a great choice for a lighter bike or a replacement for my XR should I need one. A pair of side cases and a windshield and voila, a bagger cruiser.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a saddlebag and windshield kinda guy too these days but I like the frame lines on this bike so much that I think I would look at putting a rack of some kind, something curved and black that followed the rear fender, and a rack bag to hold some basics instead of the saddlebags I usually put on bikes like this. I felt the same way about the HD Softail I had years ago and did end up putting one of those small triangle swingarm bags on it for key basics.

I bet this bike is comparable in power and price to the Indian Scout but a better fit for some of average size. With the forward pegs and controls; I bet it would fit anyone from 5'7" to 6'2" without mods. That's a better range than the Scout or some HD's other than the Softail models.

Harley really needs to come up with a water-cooled cruiser in this class. The Sportster is okay but until it's water-cooled; it won't keep up with the Scout or this Bonnie in the quarter mile. The Sportster is on the small side too soooo...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Like the looks

My bike before my XR was a 2005 Speedmaster. I bought it new kept it for 74,000 miles. Then got my 2011 XR. The Speedmaster was a very good bike. Had done quite a few mods to it. The new one ought to have much more power. My old Speedmaster came with mag wheels, tubeless tires and dual floating disc brakes, liked all those features. I had mounted hard bags on it and a windshield. Last year I had it, I traveled up to the midwest, came back in two days, 15-hrs in the saddle that second day. I had set it up so I was very comfy on it. Had the touring saddle, raised the bars a couple of inches, and moved the pegs back into the mid position for my short legs. It was blue and black, good looking bike to me, and fun. Would like to ride the new one, also the T120 and the Thurxton. They are more affordable than my other dream bike the MOTUS.
:|

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
nice bike!!

i have a 2012 bonnie + like it a lot, but the comfort of my hammer wins!! but that new 1200 speedmaster looks great, dual brembos + cartridges in the conventional forks, i am not liking the 16" wheels with Tractor tyres aka HD style. i will give it a go when my local dealer Hermy's in Port Clinton gets them in!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I picked up a 15 speed master cheap from a Harley shop. Guy traded it in with 1,400 miles. After market pipes very,very load. I had just sold my 02 Honda 919 and needed another bike for camp. Immediately started looking at triumph (rat) forum. This spring I decided to sell my 11 XC and the Speed master for the T120. Cleaned up the XC and went for a final ride after not riding it for several months. Fell back in love with my XC and bought $965on new parts ..... belt,fuel filter, air filter, fork seals and more.
Can't afford to sell the bike now. But I'm happy

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up a 15 speed master cheap from a Harley shop. Guy traded it in with 1,400 miles. After market pipes very,very load. I had just sold my 02 Honda 919 and needed another bike for camp. Immediately started looking at triumph (rat) forum. This spring I decided to sell my 11 XC and the Speed master for the T120. Cleaned up the XC and went for a final ride after not riding it for several months. Fell back in love with my XC and bought $965on new parts ..... belt,fuel filter, air filter, fork seals and more.
Can't afford to sell the bike now. But I'm happy
I love a story with a happy ending. :)

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In looking at the Triumph site some more I found I was really out of touch with what they have been up to since I last looked in their direction. They have come a long way, light years really, beyond where they were.

Take this 1500cc Thunderbird Storm for instance.

Or this Thunderbird LT 1700cc bagger.

While not my style; the Trophy SE coming in at $19,500 is a great starting price for a touring bike that goes 250 miles between fill ups.

In my younger years I wouldn't look twice at a bike like this but these days I would. The antenna on the front does look a bit odd to my eye though but I guess they stay put. I'd want to know more about its reliability record before pulling the trigger. I'm not in the market at this time anyway but it never hurts to look.

Triumph did everything Victory should have but didn't.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I love the Triumph powertrain on the 1699CC Thunderbirds. The power train stock is about what a 106 is stock, 83 HP except they start at almost 112 lbs of torque at 3500 rpm. and a much smoother shifting bike. And they can be beefed up via ECU easily. And no sewing machine sounds or shift clunks.

Not sure about taller guys fitting it. My issue is I have not found one to really fit me well. A a city bike it would be great though for larger folks. Those bikes handle very well and come with an excellent ABS system to boot. If they made one that fit me better I'd be on one, that's a fact. That thing will kick the crap out of a sportster. Though the Scout will take it out stock.

Polaris could have used a few pointers from Triumph on keeping a niche bike alive that's for sure. There is a HD dealer in the far NW Chicago area that also sells Triumph next door. Since they opened, I've seen a ton if them in my area. More than Vics. And its a newer dealership. And I have not seen a single Triumph commercial.

I miss my old Norton 850. Bought it for 300 bucks in the 70's used because the guy thought the engine died. It was a a bad wire lol. I heard Norton rights were bought out 7 years ago in the U.K. but haven't heard jack crap since. Hard sell between that and my old Triumph Tiger. Both great old bikes.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
And they dont leak oil like they used to.
Witnessed today a 1970 Truimph Trophy 500cc starting up for our Ivory Run.
Sadly and riddled with guilt cos I neglected to snap a pic of said machine.
You know what they say about old Trumpys marking their spot?

Well this one certainly did and I witnessed a drop actualy falling from the underside of the vertically split crankcase as I admired its looks and lack of technological crap....
It started on roughly the 15th kick and ran like a top all day, easily outpacing my other mate on his new 500cc Hardly Davidson made in India.
Wont be long till we go full circle and Indians will be made in India.
Vindaloo Curry for two Sir???

·
Registered
426 Posts
And they dont leak oil like they used to.
Witnessed today a 1970 Truimph Trophy 500cc starting up for our Ivory Run.
Sadly and riddled with guilt cos I neglected to snap a pic of said machine.
You know what they say about old Trumpys marking their spot?

Well this one certainly did and I witnessed a drop actualy falling from the underside of the vertically split crankcase as I admired its looks and lack of technological crap....
It started on roughly the 15th kick and ran like a top all day, easily outpacing my other mate on his new 500cc Hardly Davidson made in India.
Wont be long till we go full circle and Indians will be made in India.
Vindaloo Curry for two Sir???

lol, too true. They leaked! 1 thing about the Limeys is they made good bikes, made to ride, handled great. Electronics sucked just like the guzzis though. But they were great bikes for their time. Ahead of the competition.

Hey...Fonzi rose a Triumph! lol And IN Milwaukee where HD is made ha ha.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
lol, too true. They leaked! 1 thing about the Limeys is they made good bikes, made to ride, handled great. Electronics sucked just like the guzzis though. But they were great bikes for their time. Ahead of the competition.
Yep Brit bikes were extremey popular here in Oz in the 50's and 60's and even early 70's by which time the Japanese invasion had started.
Brit bikes were the preferred ride of Aussie bad boys .
This is a great half hour slice of Australiana the way we were back then!

https://youtu.be/rHs6ylaXtto

https://youtu.be/J3at5EsRuD0

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kurbs,
Norton is making new bikes. Look up Norton Dominator. Beautiful bike.I think other models are here or are coming.
Well heck, if Norton and Triumph can make these great come backs, maybe Victory can too under the right set of circumstances like getting the right people on the board at Polaris to either sell Victory or start it back up.

I'm not holding my breath but there is a precedent. Heck; Polaris themselves resurrected Indian in a way not done since 1953 when they folded.

Many of us may not be around to see it but who knows what the future holds...

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm serious, of all the bike manufacturers out there, Triumph is probably the one I would buy right now if I were in the market and that's not because I don't like Victory, I do, but it is what it is.

Harley burned that bridge for me by making an inferior engine and pricing the bikes at superior prices. That only leaves Indian and Motus. Polaris burned that bridge too and Motus, while nice with potential, isn't really the style I personally would want. I wouldn't rule out changing my mind if I rode one and the price was right.

Yamaha's have potential too. Solid well-made machines that look pretty good. I could say the same for Honda bikes but there's just something about these Triumph's that appeal to that inner purist in me somehow. I don't know how else to explain it. I got the same vibe from Victory 7 or 8 years ago which is why I now own 2 of 'em. In fact it's just about time to get ready to ride. :) I'm really just daydreaming. I'll likely own these two bikes till I no longer ride or I'm riding the clouds in heaven. :)

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Kurbs,
Norton is making new bikes. Look up Norton Dominator. Beautiful bike.I think other models are here or are coming.
Well heck, if Norton and Triumph can make these great come backs, maybe Victory can too under the right set of circumstances like getting the right people on the board at Polaris to either sell Victory or start it back up.

I'm not holding my breath but there is a precedent. Heck; Polaris themselves resurrected Indian in a way not done since 1953 when they folded.

Many of us may not be around to see it but who knows what the future holds...
https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/AF1-Racing-Austin-2970832/listing/2017-Norton-Dominator-123323585

Sweet bike, but not that sweet.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Yeah, what Bbob said in post #16 - that goes for me too. There's an H-D dealer here that sell Triumphs too and they have a lot of events like BBQs, etc. to keep you coming in. Nice.
Yeah, Polaris should have taken a lesson from the likes of Triumph and broadened the line, instead of handing us a line of BS.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You aren't kidding! $24,500! Very much a niche bike right now for sure; especially with the number of dealers and mechanics that can work on them. Again; not the style I personally would buy but I do like it.

Back in the day; Norton was kind of the road in America for a while. No one could beat it. This one looks true to its heritage.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
You aren't kidding! $24,500! Very much a niche bike right now for sure; especially with the number of dealers and mechanics that can work on them. Again; not the style I personally would buy but I do like it.

Back in the day; Norton was kind of the road in America for a while. No one could beat it. This one looks true to its heritage.

Dominater by name and by nature.
Love to ride it over the .mountains around here,
Doubt my pillion would be too fussed with her perch!
A decent set of bars and a dual seat not too over the top, still raw and purposeful with an edge of practical....
Naaawww fuggit...leave her at home!:devil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts