Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I do understand that. I'm surprised just how well the OE belt has lasted, 124000 KMs, probably 20% on dirt roads. Way better than any of my mates Harley's, even the blokes who have left the lower belt guards on
I still have a spare, so I might have graduated to a mobility scooter before I need to buy a replacement.
I had my 2011 XR (19,000 miles) in for some maintenance before a trip a couple of weeks ago and my mechanic said the belt was starting to crack pretty good. He recommended replacement within the next few months.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am ordering the belt but from Witch Doctor's. The site linked above doesn't let me ship to my place where I keep my XR because it's not the billing address on my CC.

·
Premium Member
13,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I had my 2011 XR (19,000 miles) in for some maintenance before a trip a couple of weeks ago and my mechanic said the belt was starting to crack pretty good. He recommended replacement within the next few months.
Can you post a couple of pictures of these cracks in the belt?

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,886 Posts
Probably because we haven't seen a cracked belt.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't know why my tech would lie. He sure doesn't need my business - he's buried. Not a good look to call someone a liar.
More because seeing the position and shape of the cracks might help give an idea of why they are occurring. It does seem pretty low mileage for belt damage.

Reactions: NAB

·
Registered
50 Posts

Registered

Joined Apr 11, 2018
264 Posts

#28 3 h ago
specialidiot said:
I don't know why my tech would lie. He sure doesn't need my business - he's buried. Not a good look to call someone a liar.
More because seeing the position and shape of the cracks might help give an idea of why they are occurring. It does seem pretty low mileage for belt damage.

True on the Mileage but still a 10 year old Belt which can count as well .. Know of them lasting 15 even 20 years but age is still a factor .. Even though my 16 year HD Dyna Belt looks good, plan on changing it next rear tire change regardless ..

·
Registered
315 Posts

Registered

Joined Apr 11, 2018
264 Posts

#28 3 h ago

True on the Mileage but still a 10 year old Belt which can count as well .. Know of them lasting 15 even 20 years but age is still a factor .. Even though my 16 year HD Dyna Belt looks good, plan on changing it next rear tire change regardless ..
True, and a photo might indicate whether they are stress cracks from misalignment maybe, or deterioration from age, or exposure to atmospheric nasties.

Reactions: FLVicRider and NAB

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I have a 2011 XC with 51,000 miles on it and the belt looks fine.

·
Premium Member
13,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not calling anyone a liar and you don't need to take the belt off to take pictures. Please post pictures of this belt with cracks so we can confirm what your mechanic said is true. He may simply be wrong or he may be right. Pictures will verify one way or the other.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Not calling anyone a liar and you don't need to take the belt off to take pictures. Please post pictures of this belt with cracks so we can confirm what your mechanic said is true. He may simply be wrong or he may be right. Pictures will verify one way or the other.
Perhaps, if we can see the cracks, we will know what to look for.

Over 73,000 mi. on my belt and still going strong, (Fingers Crossed). 2010 Cross Roads.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,886 Posts
I don't recall accusing anyone of lying.

It's useful to have pictures of such things for the reasons mentioned above. Helps the rest of us know what to watch out for. Etc.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I put one of these belts on my 09 Vision and have 40,000 miles on it so far. Still looks great and so far so good.
Thanks for that input. One good fact is better than a dozen speculations.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts