Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a lurker for a long time, but just got a new 2014 CCT (Black). Previous bike was a crotch rocket but my knees and wrists are more than happy with the change! Just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the valuable topics posted in these forums!

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Welcome from CT. Glad you guys missed those storms last week!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome. The new type of bike will take a little time to use to after what you were riding...I know it did me, but I love it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome from Monroe,La. Take it from a former Busa rider,you wont mis the sport bike a bit. The cruise control will give your wrist a much need break..the tunes will make you want to ride and ride.. You're on the right road now..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Aloha mate from a real old salt. I was stationed at the little radio station up above Whitmore Village, just north of Wahiawa back in the 1950s. Then transferred to a carrier to be one of the Flag's communicators. How does CVA14 sound to ya? Yup, she was a veteran of WWII and took Kamikaze hits.
Where're you stationed? Have a Loco Moco and think of me.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey "shipmate", cheers

I was stationed at Pearl from 05-08, and remember riding those islands well.

Hawaii definitely prepares you for any traffic situation. I found Oahu traffic and road conditions to be far worse than anything I've experienced since.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Hey "shipmate", cheers

I was stationed at Pearl from 05-08, and remember riding those islands well.

Hawaii definitely prepares you for any traffic situation. I found Oahu traffic and road conditions to be far worse than anything I've experienced since.
That's why, when I visit there, I stay in Kailua and don't head out until the cube rats are in their holes. Ain't the H-3 a hoot when there's to traffic on it?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Welcome to the forums from another sailor. thumb up

Been Canadian Navy for over a decade now...only one and a half more decades to go!

Of course, I'd take Hawaii over Halifax any day!

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Welcome! My time stationed at Pearl Harbor was 78-80. Traffic wasn't too bad yet except for rush hour. You should have a great time with your new ride there but even more fun when you get it back to the mainland where you can stretch its legs for a long haul ride. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all! It's still a little heavy to me walking it (backing up, etc), but once it's rolling it flicks over so easy I forget I'm on a big bike! Love the H-3, although I didn't really enjoy my ride through north shore this past weekend... stop and go traffic for about a half hour (and by go I mean like 1-2 car lengths)... bike got so hot it eventually shut down on me (died while I was stopped, holding the clutch in first gear). Had to move to the side and wait about 15 minutes before it would start again. Made me nervous since it is such a new bike! I tried looking around here and it seems no one has a problem of it getting so hot it dies... saw a lot about checking the battery terminals... guess I'll pull the seat and see if they are loose... I figure there's no way it should die while sitting in traffic, with the clutch pulled in... has to be something else...

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
NR, you might want to avoid heavy traffic like you encountered on the North Shore until you have more than 3,000 miles on the odo. That's how long it'll take to completely break in the engine. I realize that's a tough request when one rides/drives on Oahu, but its for the best for your engine.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Hey NavyRider- great to hear you are on the best V twin.
I hope Chase rentals at Waikiki has Victory's for rent now- I plan to be there in April :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oahu Traffic

Hey NavyRider- great to hear you are on the best V twin.
I hope Chase rentals at Waikiki has Victory's for rent now- I plan to be there in April :)
Congratulations on your new bike, Navy Rider!
I was stationed at NAS Barbers Point '82-'86, living in Navy housing at Iroquois Pt. We went back to Oahu on vacation three years ago. The first day we got there I reserved and put a deposit down on an HD at Chase Rentals in Waikiki for later in the week. At that time I only had 1 year of riding experience under my belt. After witnessing the wild traffic and congestion that had evolved during the 25 years since living there, I decided to punt on my rental. We plan to return next summer and will be looking to re-engage on the ride after 4 more years of riding experience.
Sure hope it's started raining again there. Was sad to see all the brown terrain.
...MDHawk

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
If I ever get on a road where I just can't move I shut the bike off. It has happened to me in construction zones. Why sit there with the engine running when there is no chance of moving? Once things start to open up you can see that many cars ahead of where you are sitting, and that gives you plenty of time to start the bike and be ready to move.

·
Registered
536 Posts
damn, i think i drew the short straw when it comes to duty stations.. i was on the east coast my entire enlistment and only made it overseas a couple times... never to hawaii...
thats it, i was totally lied to by my recruiter! :ltr:

oh and welcome aboard from Central NY...
trade places with you anytime brother! anytime.. cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NR, you might want to avoid heavy traffic like you encountered on the North Shore until you have more than 3,000 miles on the odo. That's how long it'll take to completely break in the engine. I realize that's a tough request when one rides/drives on Oahu, but its for the best for your engine.
Thanks for the suggestion RICZ, but after about 7 minutes on it today (so no way it was too hot) it died as I was slowing to a start. I hit the ignition while I was still rolling and it fired right back up... but after that, if I was sitting still, the idle was not constant (varying from 800-1200 RPMs)... so I'm thinking I probably need to take it in rather than hoping to get that much mileage while being worried about it dying at a redlight or stopsign...

I have a stage 1 kit with tri-oval exhausts, so I'm wondering if the ECM reflash was ineffective and the fuel is too lean for the new (increased) air flow... not sure what else would cause the idle to be so spotty...

MonsterMash, I was actually in Virginia Beach last tour, and Japan before that... so thankfully the Navy has let me go where I want!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
NR, that would be a good idea to take it to the dealer, if for no other reason, the problem gets logged in to their system. In the event things become worse, there's a history on your bike.
I had a somewhat similar problem when the bike was new. When a traffic light turned green, if I didn't strongly blip the throttle first, it would quit or at least hesitate. I chalked it up to two things; a tight, new engine and EPA lean. Disconnecting the O2 sensors helped cuz that will enriched the intake mixture. You might want to try that too. A few inches from the sensors is a connector on the wires, simply separate and see what that does for you. That might save a trip to the dealer. Keep us posted.
Might I ask what your rating is? Assuming you are an EM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NR, that would be a good idea to take it to the dealer, if for no other reason, the problem gets logged in to their system. In the event things become worse, there's a history on your bike.
I had a somewhat similar problem when the bike was new. When a traffic light turned green, if I didn't strongly blip the throttle first, it would quit or at least hesitate. I chalked it up to two things; a tight, new engine and EPA lean. Disconnecting the O2 sensors helped cuz that will enriched the intake mixture. You might want to try that too. A few inches from the sensors is a connector on the wires, simply separate and see what that does for you. That might save a trip to the dealer. Keep us posted.
Might I ask what your rating is? Assuming you are an EM.
I think I'll probably just take it in to get a file started in the event that something happens in the future... It's so new that I'd hate to mess with something that didn't need it (although I understand the O2 sensors keep it more lean than it probably needs). Totally bummed that after only 160 miles I'm having to take her into the shop :mad: I should clarify it died slowing to a stop, not slowing to a start..

Nope, not an EM... Although I was an AT as a younger man... now I'm an O-3 SWO on shore duty...

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I knew what you meant to say, Admiral! I'll CYA for ya. Each 100 miles will make it better too. When I was there in the 50s, Special Services had an LST that took Navy personnel and their vehicles to the Big Island and Kauai for R&R. If that program still exists, you might want to take your Vic to the Big Island and do the 240 mile Perimeter Road a few times. If you do, be sure to stop at Tex Drive In in Honokaa for the World's best malasadas. Although Art's trailer has some pretty good ones in the Pearl, in front of Shiro's Saimin Haven. Great saimin too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts