Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am the owner of a new 2013 8 Ball, I bought it brand new last month from Hernleys in Elizabethtown PA. Ive been riding since I was 12, ( Ill be 24 soon). Raced motorcross, track days all over the east coast on sportbikes, you name it Ive probably been there, so I consider myself an experienced rider, as well as a Mechanic as that is my profession.

Id just like to get that out there so nobody thinks im new to this.

Anyway,

Within the first 50 miles of a brandnew bike, it shut off on me 4 or 5 times. All of them happen as soon as I pulled in the clutch to downshift. Just shut right off. I took the bike back to the dealer, waited around an hour and was told they found a loose nut on one of the circuits and hopefully it was fixed.

Around a week after that, it has shut off on me several more times, not even 150 miles on the bike yet. Again, each time it happened it was as soon as I pulled the clutch in to down shift. Back to Hernleys.

I took the bike back monday sept 30th. It took over 9 days to get my bike back, as I picked it up October 9th. They told me twice they didnt get a chance to get around to looking at it, and then we had to wait for a part.

I was told they replace the Idle Air Control valve and that, Duane, the owner wanted to talk to me. So we talked, and what he told me was this.

That they went ahead and replaced that part, but it was likely my fault the bike was stalling because;

I AM NOT SUPPOSED TO REV THE BIKE, AT ALL, AS IT CONFUSES THE FUEL INJECTION. DONT REV IT WHEN YOUR SITTING STILL, AND DONT REV IT TO DOWN SHIFT, JUST PULL IN THE CLUTCH AND SHIFT.

Seriously?! I cant rev my bike to down shift??? He said it as if it was a normal thing and no big deal.

Anyway I took the bike home, 15 miles later it has shut off twice, and it is now back firing a good bit, random pops, poor bottom end, as well as throttle responce.

Oddly yesterday while riding I ran into another Vic owner. Bought his bike from the same place, was having similar issues, and got the same story, DONT REV THE BIKE. I thought this was weird.

So today I called two other semi local dealers.

The first I called was not suprised to hear from me, in fact he seemed to know my story before I told it, and said they fixed 8 or 9 bikes, all that were bought from Hernleys within the past few months due to bad service and a rude owner.

He was familiar with my issue and told me that they had seen several fuel injector issues, poor seating of the injector, or bad orings on them, so this may be part of my issue, but he said there is no reason at all why I should not be able to rev the engine for down shifts, as we all know thats what you do with any manual gear box.

Also while my bike was at Hernleys the 2nd time it got a nice scratch on the side cover, probably from someones boot as they went to get off the bike. The owner "buffed it out", well guess what, the scratch is still there and he could care less.

So thats my story.

A brand new bike that runs like crap, serveral people from the same dealer with similiar problems and no help from the origial dealer, and im being told, NOT TO REV THE ENGINE, like its a normal thing for these bikes.

Sorry for the long read, but has anyone had these issues or is aware of a fuel injection issue, electronics problem etc etc? This is a real low blow for me as I have a brand new bike that seems to be getting worse and worse with each mile.

Thanks,
Shane

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even if I dont blip the throttle, Im still having my other issues as described, popping/back fires, throttle responces, no bottom end...

It would seem the part that Half_Crazy posted a link to describes all those problems I have, so I may have to give that a try.

But explain this to me,

Almost everyother bike make today, weather it be a road or dirtbike, is fuel injected.

Why can I rev the piss out of a fuel injected, $6000.00 Dirtbike, and not have it miss a single beat, but if I even "blip" the throttle of my $14,000 to $20,000 Victory it seems to want to have a hissy fit.

I thought these were supposed to be a big deal, cutting edge,the bees knees, whatever you want to call it, but yet we cant figure out coming up on 40 year old fuel injection technology?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not only that, its also extremely dangerous that my bike, or anyone elses for that matter, shuts off when you least expect it, especially if your moving.

What if it shuts off on me and I get plowed by a truck because I couldnt get it started and out of the way.

Is that my fault that Victory, and my dealer, knowingly put me back on the road with a bike with issues?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are no mods done to my bike, 100 percent stock.

I know your not arguing, justs stating why I do it. I cant not do it, just a habbit ive done for years.

Talking cars, Heal-toe down shifting, (same thing as blipping the throttle), is the only proper way to performance driving. Hard to learn, but when you master it, its an art, and youll never go back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, an important thing to note.

Prior to buying my bike, I did the Victory Demo Ride with all the new 2014 models, I rode a highball, 8 ball, and a judge I think it was.

Rode them all for about 20 minutes a piece, rode them the way I want to ride, (didnt beat them, but I wanted to see what they can do) and blipped the throttle every single downshift, and there wasnt any issues, no stalls, popping, nothing.

So this is clearly not an issue all of these bikes share.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im no Harley guy, Im not trying to make a bunch of noise, Im trying to ride my bike the way I want and down shift the way I know how.

Why you would say its a bad habit is beyond me. Again, with a racing back ground, thats the only way you do it, any I dont think to many racers out there would argue with that. I know im not racing on the street, but Id like to ride my bike with a little fun and just poke around on it.

Hell Ferraris only come with paddle shifters these days, but even still, when you pull the down shift paddle, its blips the throttle by itself, ups the revs, and down shifts. ( I do understand thats a car and a totally other subject) but there is a reason for why you do it and I would certainly say its not a bad habit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Than stopping dragging me into these threads. I had not posted in this thread until I was brought up in it and was not one who started talking about witchdoctors.

so you see it is real simple, don't drag me into the thread and I won't post in it. Got It!!!

Hey man, nothing against you but Im trying to figure out why my brandnew bike is a **** box, so if you could battle this out else where it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I did not have anything to say about your problem with your bike, so if you have an issue about me you need to talk to the two who decided to drag me into your thread.

As for your problem you have already stated you have another dealer who has told you they can fix your bike, why are you moaning on here before you give them a chance to fix it?

Give them a chance and you may just end up with a bike that you love and runs great.

Lol, nobody drug you in here to post, so as I already asked, fight your battles elsewhere. I could care less about hydraulic clutch kits and after market parts at the moment. Besides, the others who did mention you, did post some info towards my issue, you havent.

As far as moaning goes, I only talked to that dealer just today, they didnt look at my bike, just told me his thoughts, so Im on here trying to figure out if there is a trend of common problems that I can look into.

The only trend im finding so far though is that you cant seem to keep your mouth shut. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I make all sorts of noise with my throttle while riding. Because I like the sound of the pipe. I never stall or shut off. IMO there's something wrong with the bike. And Hernley's is the only indian dealer that is in Pa, right ? They were chosen supposedly due to their high ranking. So this surprises me. If you can get to Motorvation, in Mechanicsburg, go there. I think they are Lloydz certified. Good luck man, I hope it works out for you. These are great bikes to ride !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Motorvation is the dealer I talked with today who told me about getting several of Hernleys customers servicing their bikes with them due to Hernleys not being able to fix their bikes and the poor service. So thats where Ill be going next.

You are also correct the Hernleys has the Indian line now, not sure if they are the only one in PA, but they do have them. As far as sales goes, they move product for sure. Their salesman Jim, is a really nice guy and hes been really fair from the start.

My problem is with Duane, the owner. Like I said my bike has been in the shop twice now in under 150 miles. For nearly 10 days the second time, and all they did was replace the IAC Valve, it took 10 days for that???

Then when I pick it up he tells me that about how not to rev it. Not an apology for selling me junk or for sitting on it for 10 days, not a Thanks for being patient, nothing. Just heres your bike, its probably your fault, dont rev it....

Great customer service...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I bought the bike because of how impressed I was with the three I rode during the demo ride. They all ran like champs and I was smiling ear to ear.

Why is it that mine runs like crap though, has a clear problem, but Im being told its normal.

Its far from the demo bikes I rode. Obviously I would not have bought the bike if I didnt like what I rode during the demo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Well I just left Hernelys a bit ago and spoke with Duane for awhile.

It seems we arent on the same page as far as down shifting goes. When I picked up the bike last time he told me not to rev the bike, just down shift.

When we spoke today he said not to "blip" the throttle when down shifting, but to roll on it, bring the revs up smoothly, then down shift.

Blip, rev, roll, crack. what ever you want to call it, I know how to ride a bike. Im not ripping the throttle off the handle bars by any means.

He asked that I bring it down again and go on a ride with him to so he can see the issues I am having and how I ride the bike, I do respect the fact that they want to help me, but It should have been fixed the first time, actually it should have never been a problem at all.

As far as calling Victory goes, they are of no help what so ever, they cant provide you with any tech support numbers or anything useful. They pretty much just told me the dealer will get my bike fixed and let them keep trying.

This is extremely disappointing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Stop trying to ride it like a sport bike, it is not a high revving multi cylinder water cooled engine. It is a low revving V-Twin that is known to not like blipping the throttle.

Further an experienced knowledgeable rider would roll the throttle to match the revs not blipping the throttle.

Apparently the Victory software can detect your blipping the throttle as a run away engine and can shut it down to protect it. Again Victory's are not 16,000 RPM water cooled sport bikes, they are Air/Oil Cooled low RPM twin cylinder long stroke engines.

Me thinks you are causing most of your own problems due to not knowing how to operate a V-Twin engine.

You would be far better off selling the Victory and buying another Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha sport bike that you can blip the throttle all day long on. You might want to try learning how to match the revs instead of blipping as that will make you a much better operator.

Seriously dude, are you an Idiot?

I know its not a sportbike, and I know how to ride, your just a fuckin know it all stroke job who cant keep your mouth shut.

Heres how I know im not making my own problems, because Ive problem ridden more bikes all of types then you could probably count too, and never once, have I ridden a bike that is responding the way this one is.

As I also already stated, I rode 3 of their demo bikes for around 20 minutes each, and I rode all 3 the exact same way im trying to ride mine, and they all responded perfectly, thats why I bought one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Guys blipping the throttle doesn't mean over revving the motor.
It means you give the throttle a SMALL turn to raise the RPM up JUST ENOUGH to MATCH the the speed of the gear your down shifting too.
NOT revving the engine any higher than necessary to make a nice quiet gear change

FASTFORD90 am I right or wrong..... ???????

On my bike it didn't matter how small or slow you twisted the throttle it would AT TIMES STALL....

And it stalls because it gets a big gulp of air and little to NO FUEL.
Its a lean condition not a rich condition....

ALSO it doesn't matter how hard you rev it blip it chop it IT SHOULD NOT STALL.
If you cant get on the throttle than its a piss poor FI system.. period

They are hiding behind a known issue and they don't want to get caught and have to do a re-call There is a problem with some of these bikes. And it is a dangerous issue

Its time they came forward and fixed the bikes with this problem.

I was sitting in the middle of an intersection - the bike was idling - I get a break in traffic and I give it a small amount of throttle and it shuts off - STALLS....
And the dealer says stop blipping the throttle.... ASHOLES....
Yep, your right on the money.

I call it blipping, which is something me and Duane were confusing each other with today.

He thought I was cracking the throttle wide open to wake up the town and hear my bike,that would be incorrect. Just a nice short smooth turn of the throttle to bring up the revs, then a down shift.

The fact that the bike either shuts off or starts to stall when I do this is an issue that I am not causing. As you also said, its a poor quality F.I. system.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I understand that you aren't happy with suggestions to change your riding style and I understand that the bike doesn't run the way you want it to. I don't understand why you can't ignore the negative posts and focus on the positive posts. VIC Builder told you what you should do and several other members offered plausible options of what you could do. Play around with some of the suggestions (throttle control / unplugging O2 sensors) and see if they help. If they don't help plug the O2's back in and see if the dealer will give you a reflash. If that doesn't work you may need to get a tuner.

Also I noticed your dealer wants to shadow you on a ride. I highly suggest swapping bikes half way through (if his is also stock) and seeing if you can replicate your problems on his bike. I also suggest taking a few more bikes for a demo and seeing if they have the same problems.

Lol really, im a troll? Why did you edit your post by the way, should have left it the way you first typed it.

First, I didn't ask for Vic1 to post about his battles in my thread, I did kindly ask him to leave his issues out of my thread which he didnt so that's on him.

Second, the reason I have 20 posts is because im answering questions asked and updating my situation with what I found out today. Victory and the dealer dont seem to care to much currently about fixing my bike, but I do.

I have a brandnew bike that runs like crap that I paid my hard earned money for, I think I have every right to be upset.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Wow! Interesting thread. So I ride a 2012 XCT. In stock form, from almost the day I owned it, it died when I "blipped" the throttle. After observing the problem for a while it seemed not just "blipping" but any sort of throttle tip in. Starts from a complete stop or rolling on the throttle after a decel or coasting period. It died under all kinds of conditions.

This was not acceptable to me and should not be acceptable to the op. This is not a rider problem. It is a bike problem. Something is wrong with this bike. In my particular case the clutch safety switch was defective. I noticed the gear indicator was glitchy. Brought it to the dealer with my complaints and they said the two problems were related. They replaced that switch and I never had another problem.

No problems after the mods I've done either.

Good luck with your issue.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

I think this is definetly part of my problem, as mentioned in my original post the bike has shut off on me as soon as I pulled the clutch in, instantly, as soon as I grabbed it.

I didnt think anything of it before until reading his post, but my gear indicator is also very jumpy as it flashes back and fourth between gears a good bit.

My bike still is running poorly as well but I think this is half my problem.

I will be going over the the things VicBuilder posted to check for this weekend, as well as talking with the dealer about a possible reflash of the computer. I work 12 hour days and my garage time is very minimal during the week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
The guy has a brand new bike that is not even broke in and by reading his description of his riding style he is not breaking it in the way the owners manual or even the way Lloydz says to break in these bikes. He is more than likely following the Motorman way of breaking it in which is just ride the piss out of it.

Further he says he blips the throttle because he is concerned of locking up the rear tire on down shifts. If you he at the point of locking up the rear tire on a Victory at each down shift he is down shifting at to fast of a speed and to high of an RPM.

From his own description of his past riding and his current riding along with his ego of his riding ability I bet 90% of his problems is he is just not riding the bike properly. He is trying to ride it like his past sport bikes.

Outside of an emergency situation there is no need to be at a point of possible rear tire lock up when down shifting.

Changing his riding habits he has demonstrated is out of the question. My advice sell or trade in the Victory and buy another sport bike that is designed to be ridden the way this guy rides.
Seriously dude, piss off, you dont get it. As asked several times why dont you just keep out of this thread, you are of no help what so ever and know not the slightest thing about me.

FOR THE LAST TIME, I AM NOT RIDING MY BIKE LIKE A SPORTBIKE.

And you mentioned about me reving the bike for fear of locking up the back tire,

PLEASE QUOTE THE POST WHERE I SAID THAT, WHERE EVEN ONCE DID I SAY THAT, ALL THE PROOF THAT YOUR NOTHING BUT I KNOW IT ALL. THE ONLY THING I SAID WAS IT GIVES A NICE SMOOTH EASY SHIFT. SO QUIT ACTING LIKE YOU KNOW ME.

As far as breaking my bike in goes, im not even close to Motormaning it in. Ive not come close to the rev limiter or cracking the throttle wide open. Im riding my bike pretty calm actually with the occasional roll of the throttle yes, but my no means am I racing it. Ivr owned numerious new vehicles of all types and I take breaking the engine in seriously.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Now that I once again have had to ask Victory1 to stay out of my thread, I can give to all an update.

I talked with the dealer yesterday about the clutch safety switch, he said that was not the problem and were not going to replace it, so thats the dealers stance on that.

I talked with Rylan on the phone yersterday and went over my issue, as he said before,

-I checked the battery terms

They were nice, tight and clean, so no problem there.

- Checked the circuit breaker lug and tapped it while the bike was running-

Everything seems good there as well. ( As mentioned in my original post, the first time I took the bike back, I was told they found a loose bolt on a circuit breaker, so this was a previous issue but looks good now.

-Checked all the electrical connectors

Everything is connected, nothing loose that I can see.

Finally, unplug the O2s and ride it.

I did this all last night around 2am after work, so I only rode about 15 miles as it was colder and starting to rain, but...

This made a very noticable change for the good, the bike seems to run smoother, no pops or noises like I was getting. It also seemed much more responsive when I would rev for my down shift, it didnt cut out nearly as bad and start to stall as it was before.

Now although it still did not seem perfect, this was a great improvement.

So where does this take me next?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Also Vic 1, I dont have an ego, nor am I trying to be cocky.

I spents hours and hours learning to perfect riding, weather it be through motorcross, track days, reading books or riding courses. Some of my good riding buddys are/were racers in WERA or Advanced/ Control riders with NESBA, not that I would expect you to know what either of those are as your more worried about arguing over who makes parts then riding your bike.

Im no pro and dont make myself out to be one, and dont confuse me with a wanna be crotch rocker rider either. Never once have I gone out and did tricks or burn-outs all over the road, I always took it seriously and would rather ride by myself then with the fools weve seen from NY that beat that drive up.

I take riding seriously and I try to get the max amount of enjoyment from it, so I go and get lost in the back woods roads of PA and work the sidewalls a little bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
You are very right..... A lot are afraid to rock the boat. Some have issues and dont want to admit to anyone there is a problem. Some believe the BS that are fead them and live with a statement like Vics dont like to be blipped - change your riding style....I am going to try plugs and maybe different gaps. It seems when it does this it pukes out the intake then stalls. like it hung a valve or something.
Yep, couldnt agree more!

This is clearly an issue, maybe not with all, but with a large portion of these bikes. Read through this thread, just about everyone who has posted has had similar issues to mine ( no not nearly as bad) but Im not the first person to tell this story.

The people that are telling me "Im the problem" or "change how I ride" probably have issues as well and are either too ignorant to admit it, or dont have the balls to say their bikes got a problem and get it fixed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts