Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new XCT last Wed., filled it with premium, rode it 30 miles home and put it in the shed. Temp made it up to 60 today, so I went out to take it for a spin after I got home from work, and I had a hek of a time getting it to start. Turned it on and waited for the fuel pump to stop and tried starting it numorous times. Same sequence, over and over again. Finally I held the throttle open a little bit, and it took off. Whew... what a relief. Now I know you shouldn't have to do that on fuel injection, and also read on here it could damage the starter.
Hope this isn't a re-accuring problem. I did a search on here and couldn't find anything.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I'm picking up my '12 XC tomorrow, and live in New England. I ride year 'round. My current V92TC has a "choke" (that isn't a choke, it opens the throttle a little).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
congrats Martlet on the new XC. My vtx1300 had a choke, but they called it an enricher, so I'm thinking it may have done the same thing.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
congrats Martlet on the new XC. My vtx1300 had a choke, but they called it an enricher, so I'm thinking it may have done the same thing.
Thanks. I guess my point was, if the "choke" on my TC just opened the throttle, how is doing it yourself any worse?

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about anything.

·
Premium Member
13,287 Posts
It's unfortunately common for the battery leads to come a little loose on these bikes. A pair of star washers takes care of it and issues related to poor starting plus a host of other things I don't remember right now. A weak battery will do the same thing. It's also a good time to check on the battery dongle for a charger or other things you might want to plug in for various reasons. The discontinued them in 11 but brought them back in 12. I think it was probably just an oversight in 11.

·
Registered
545 Posts
9,150. Got her October 18. Can't stay off of her.
Bought my Vision in July '11... 22,786 miles so far. I live in FL and can ride year round, but we have to bundle up in the winter... just no snow.

What's probably happening with your fuel injectors is the "varnish" build up from the fuel that sat in the bike from the time it was built 'til the time it was sold to you... Run a few tanks thru it and all will be well, or add some injector cleaner to your fuel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, will get some fuel injector cleaner. Honda recomends Chevron Techron, does Victory have a recomend ? But what is a battery dongle ?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Buy a battery tender that comes with the battery connection. When you install it onto your battery terminals it would be a good time to put star washers on your connections. You can also use the connection to jump start your bike with.

As far as fuel injection cleaner goes you don't have enough miles on your bike to worry about dirty injectors yet. It's pretty easy to avoid that mess too, just try to fuel up at newer gas stations whenever possible and never get gas right after the station tanks are filled. New gas stations are less likely to have sediment in their tanks and the process of filling the tanks stirs up any sediment that normally settles to the bottom of the tanks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My vote use a battery tender....

But From the man who knows victory best.. http://www.lloydz.com/techtips.asp

"Starting a cold bike

This is a simple procedure that everyone does but I'm going to shed some light on the method I prefer in starting a Victory the way I do.

This applies to all years and all model Victory's. Throughout the course of a year while I was on the road traveling I would tune between 300-450 Victory's a year, add in the shop work and that would add another 100 to the total. So it’s a fairly simple procedure, You hit the button and wait for it to come to life. With starting so many different bikes they do have their own characteristics but they all respond well to this procedure. Before hitting the button I roll the throttle slightly (about an 1/8 rotation) than I hit the button, once to life I like to hold the rpm's between 15-1800 Rpm's for approx 30-40 seconds if the bike is real cold (50 degrees and below) and 15-30 seconds if were above those temps.

Here’s some benefits of starting a bike the way I like too. When a bike is cold so is everything else. Oil is super thick and the oil pump is loaded heavy trying to push the oil through the small clearances to lubricate everything. When the motor first fires up it is straining just to maintain an idle, the computer is throwing allot of fuel (choke Mode) to the injectors to aide in the ease of running cold. This also wants to make things lumber and run slightly slower in engine speed. By using an 1/8 throttle rotation we help the engine overcome these conditions and supply oil to the critical parts quicker. We all know that a warm motor starts easier than a cold one as there is less drag and frictional losses to keep it running with less effort. Yes the bikes are fuel injected and some people assume there might be damage or that its just not correct to use throttle while starting a fuel injected bike. B.S. that’s not the case, not in these years but maybe the future of fuel injection may lead to different results as fly by wire becomes more common and wide band monitoring enters the motorcycle world.

Give it a shot your motor just might thank you.

LG"

·
Registered
545 Posts
As far as fuel injection cleaner goes you don't have enough miles on your bike to worry about dirty injectors yet. It's pretty easy to avoid that mess too, just try to fuel up at newer gas stations whenever possible and never get gas right after the station tanks are filled. New gas stations are less likely to have sediment in their tanks and the process of filling the tanks stirs up any sediment that normally settles to the bottom of the tanks.
Actually it's the new bikes with fewer miles that have been sitting at the factory and then at the Victory dealers' for months at a time that are most affected... this isn't about sediment in the gas... it's about varnish build up from low fuel levels in tanks that are sitting around for long periods of time. Do you think that the factory puts stabilizers in the tanks? NO. Do you think these bikes are started and run for any period of time? NO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts