Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed rear pads from WD with Lyndall 7176 Z-plus . Now my brakes squeal when using mid pressure on the pedal. Light is quiet and heavy pressure is quiet. Is there a 'grease' to quiet these? I tried some sand paper on the pads and disk, that lasted about 3 brakings, then the noise returned.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Did you put brake grease on the back of the pads?(Not the wear surface) From what I understand with brakes, particularly new ones on cars we (as in humans) hear vibrations as squeaks or squeals and the brake grease helps to eliminate that. Although I am not sure if it is a common practice to grease the back of the pads on motorcycles.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have read where people like to scuff the surface prior to installing them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These didn't come with any supplied snake oil as some car pads I've done have. I scuffed them post install (after hearing the noise) as they're supposed to be no 'break in' period.
Putting grease on the back sides doesn't make any sense to me. There's no movement to create noise.

·
13,003 Posts
I'm guessing you have a bad set of pads. It happens now and then. Sanding or grease will not get you and place.
On the stock pads there should of been a metal peace with a bunch of holes in it usually stuck to the back of one pad. That's a vibration eliminator that you should of put on the new pads. You can see it here in #4. Buy the way you can not buy that peace

Motorcycle Service Parts - Part Finder | Victory Motorcycles Store

·
Registered
427 Posts
The little metal clip on the back of the pad along with the grease will help. I have no idea why. But I had the same problem with my fronts. I just put the pads in place and rode. Afterwards, I dug my old pads outta the trash, took the clips off, greased 'em up and no problems since.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
A harmonic is set up between the steel backing plate and the metal piston and the clip (and grease if needed) neutralizes it. The harmonic is the squeal you hear.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Sometimes there is simply a hard spot in the linings , once you wear past this hard spot the squeal should subside .... Seen it in cars a thousand times . Give it some miles before you panic , it may just stop on its own .

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
If that doesn't work, spray it in your ears. :)

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Did you fit the metal backing plate to the new pads?
I have Lyndalls Z Plus front and rear and no squeal.
No need to goop mine...
Will go to Lyndalls Gold on the front next time.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Did you fit the metal backing plate to the new pads?
I have Lyndalls Z Plus front and rear and no squeal.
No need to goop mine...
Will go to Lyndalls Gold on the front next time.
I could be wrong, but without searching for it, Lyn. Z are for ceramic rotors? Or something like that....

The GOLD pads are the maximum you can have on stock rotors??

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
I could be wrong, but without searching for it, Lyn. Z are for ceramic rotors? Or something like that....

The GOLD pads are the maximum you can have on stock rotors??

Andre
TaPaTaLk
Just had a google to Lyndalls site.
The pads for composite rotors are called Xtreme.
Zplus are 20% better than stock
Gold are 30% better than stock.
They're generalising there so the percentage over Victorys stock pads may be even more.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Just had a google to Lyndalls site.
The pads for composite rotors are called Xtreme.
Zplus are 20% better than stock
Gold are 30% better than stock.
They're generalising there so the percentage over Victorys stock pads may be even more.
Ok thanks for looking that up MbX, yeah Gold is petty good in stopping the bike and keeps your rims clean same as EBC

No comparison to STOCK pads

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
522 Posts
It helps if you chamfer the leading edge of the brake pads and deglaze the rotors with a Scotch Brite pad before installing the new pads.

Tech23

1 - 15 of 15 Posts