Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I just put down payment on new Jackpot last Thursday. Next day, I see that Polaris closed it's Osceola, WI plant in order to restructure, and eventually move it's ATV/UTV operations to Mexico. It sounds like Spirit Lake will get the motor assembly.

I just sold my Honda VTX 1800, which I was proud to be made in Ohio (no longer the case). I also came from one of the best forums/boards for the VTX, and I was surprised that this news of Polaris hasn't been discussed here.

I love the bike, but do not feel good about my purchase after seeing this news...I haven't even picked it up yet:( Anyone's thoughts/comments are appreciated...should I go through with the purchase?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Vic going to Mexico!

ONE of the main resons I went Victory, was they are manufactured and built right here in the good old USA!
What's UP!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vics are not going to Mexico, parent company Polaris is shifting some manufacturing there for ATV/UTV's. The engines (as well as the rest of the bike) will now be assembled in Spirit Lake, Iowa. Just bad timing with the economy, and my serious consideration for a Vic.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
While I am not a big fan of their moving some of the ATV production out of the US. They will still be making the Victory in the US, and unlike Honda that assembled a bike here from Jap sourced parts Vic is OWNED and manufactured by Americans. If you want to have a problem then take it up with a government that tax's corporations so high that they leave. Or the state of Wisconsin that hits companies with a huge double tap. Look at HD they are talking about pulling up all stakes there, and finding another state

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you think the fact that they work for about one tenth the wage, with little or no benefits might have something to do with it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Polaris is moving the Victory operation to Spirit lake Iowa, So all the Motorcycle manufacturing will be in one place. Its hard to advertise the New American motorcycle, If your made in Mexico.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When a company is public, you can't predict the future when it comes to this stuff. Next month Polaris could have a new CEO who moves everything to china so he pads his portfolio, and gives himself a huge bonus. Then moves onto another company to do the same. I work for a huge American corp. and the chit that goes on here is unbelievable. This company that I work for is a complete sell out to all that is American, yet it proudly proclaims itself as American. So if polaris does the same don't be suprised.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Despite all with Polaris, I love the bike and will be picking it up hopefully this weekend. I am really looking forward to riding again!

'10 black Jackpot - adding chrome swept exhaust, digital tach/speedo, air intake, vic tune, and shorty shield (more to come later)

It just kinda concerned me at first, but this is THE bike for me!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good for you. I bought a leftover Kingpin, Its my first cruiser.
I have been looking at Victorys for a while. I haven`t read anything that discouraged me from buying one. So far, I like it alot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you like it...I actually like all of the Vics that I've seen, and am really looking forward to getting out and ride. I'm used to a bagger, so my next step is looking for decent looking saddlebags to throw my stuff in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Jackpots are cruisers not baggers:) good luck finding something that looks decent. IMO anything you put on a Jackpot takes away from the look.
My dealer told me that Victory/Polaris is done making bikes for the year. He told me what he has in stock is it and he can't get anymore. He didn't tell me why.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jackpots are cruisers not baggers:) good luck finding something that looks decent. IMO anything you put on a Jackpot takes away from the look.
My dealer told me that Victory/Polaris is done making bikes for the year. He told me what he has in stock is it and he can't get anymore. He didn't tell me why.
+1 on the first comment. The Jackpot, and Hammer look bad with a shield or bags on it JMO.

The second comment probably refers to Victory now ramping up to build 2011 models.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I agree on the looks of the bags...but I need something to put my jacket, sunglasses in :)
I have the small windshield through Polaris, I don't think it looks bad, but I need something to block the wind too.

I think they are vamping up as well for the 2011 model year...glad I got my Jackpot when I did.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A buddy of mine rolls his jacket up in a bundle, and bungie cords it to his handle bars, although it covers his gauges, it seems to work for him. I have a leather tool puch that I have hanging down by my starter, were I keep my tire pressure gauge, and spare glasses, and some other stuff.

For me when riding my Hammer if it doesn't fit in my pockets, it gets left behind. thumb up

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am relieved to hear the bikes are staying. I dont care about the atv's. I would never own a polaris atv even if they were built in my home town. If Victory bikes were made in mexico I wouldnt buy one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts