Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the new, now in effect, modified exhaust law affects all California registered cars, bikes, and trucks, and their California licensed drivers/riders. It's no longer a fix-it ticket. I hear it's a $1000 fine and you have to take it to some kind of referee. It can be appealed if you think you didn't deserve it.

The good news is it doesn't affect out of state riders/drivers with out of state registered vehicles. You might be pulled over and given a warning but won't usually get a ticket unless they find something else grossly wrong like alcohol on your breath or a safety issue with your bike or car/truck.

New California Law for 2019. As of January 1, 2019, a modified exhaust on an automobile or motorcycle, excessively loud, can no longer be cited as a correctable violation. Assembly Bill AB1824 has taken away the opportunity to correct the violation and requires a citation for such violation to result in a fine only. In many cases may also result in a trip to the Bureau of Automotive Repair B.A.R. If you feel your vehicle is grossly negligent in this area, removing resonators, deleting mufflers etc. You know who you are. Don't waste your hard earned money on this violation. Drive safe everyone.

California used to be such a nice place to live 30 years ago. They make an average of 1000 new laws in that state every year so I doubt you can take a dump without breaking some kind of law or regulation there.

I find it can still be a nice place to visit; just avoid the over populated cities. The ocean, mountains, and deserts are still nice.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
yah, that's one of the partin' shots from the Gubenator. 'n for that he was named "Motorcyclist of the Year" by AMA.

I believe it was meant to curb noise more than anything else. Loud pipes save lives ('n all that). As the legislators learned along time ago... if ya don't pinch the pocket books there's no response. Fillin' the coffers is icin' on cake.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I have nothing against a modified exhaust on any 2 or 4 wheel machine as long as it is not unusually loud but most in my neck of the woods like straight pipes and love to rev it at every stop. Gets old after a while.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have nothing against a modified exhaust on any 2 or 4 wheel machine as long as it is not unusually loud but most in my neck of the woods like straight pipes and love to rev it at every stop. Gets old after a while.
It doesn't bother me during the day (6 am - 6 pm) but at night it can get annoying as you said.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Even in my po dunk little town here in Fla the loud azz pipes thing @ 9 pm and pass on the main highway close to a mile away you can here them. Sport bikes, Cruisers dont matter. The tinny sound of the sport bikes seems to carry further.
Anywho back to the great state of Crazyfornia. I cant see them stopping bikes just for a muffler violation. Now if your doin sumtin stupid probably. They would be hard pressed to ticket mine. It has stock cans, so has the EPA info on it and look completely stock, although modified with the thrush mod. Now if you got those drag pipe or drop down looking things, your probably out some cash. I guess the next step there is if you put aftermarkets on, keep your OEM so you can put them back on when you get a ticket and get it re-certified. Back in the 70's I think it was they made some motorcycle specific laws trying to get at the motorcycle clubs out there.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even in my po dunk little town here in Fla the loud azz pipes thing @ 9 pm and pass on the main highway close to a mile away you can here them. Sport bikes, Cruisers dont matter. The tinny sound of the sport bikes seems to carry further.
Anywho back to the great state of Crazyfornia. I cant see them stopping bikes just for a muffler violation. Now if your doin sumtin stupid probably. They would be hard pressed to ticket mine. It has stock cans, so has the EPA info on it and look completely stock, although modified with the thrush mod. Now if you got those drag pipe or drop down looking things, your probably out some cash. I guess the next step there is if you put aftermarkets on, keep your OEM so you can put them back on when you get a ticket and get it re-certified. Back in the 70's I think it was they made some motorcycle specific laws trying to get at the motorcycle clubs out there.
The big difference now is not only do you have to get it "fixed" but you also get a $1000 fine. It used to be just a fix-it ticket with no fine.

Back in the 80's I was ticketed for loud exhaust on my Panhead chopper. I took it to the local Highway Patrol office and started it up for the officer. He said okay and signed the ticket which I just sent in and that was the end of. Thing is I didn't make any changes. The cop who pulled me over did it when I was pulling a hill so it made the bike much louder than it normally was. Under no load at the curb; the bike was fairly normal sounding in terms of volume.

I also remember when the helmet law went into effect in 1991. Hated it like everyone else. Let those who ride decide! That was our motto. The stubborn CA pols worked for the rich people and they wanted us to wear helmets so it was never repealed like it should have been.

CA used to be such a free, open, and fun state but not anymore and not since the early 90's. Well, if you define free and open as being a sanctuary state, ultra communist (they call it Progressive), anti-gun, and anti-freedom in general except for all the freaks doing their freaky things; then I guess it could still be defined as free and open but not for normal people.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
I'm retiring in a couple of months and leaving California like 100's of thousands of retiring baby boomers. Phuck them all.
If you are thinking of moving to Oregon or Washington, forget it. Both states have been Californicated beyond recognition. Legislatures and Gov's offices are, and will forever be Dem run. It's beyond hope.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If I was the kid in the video, my first argument would be. "You tell me one vehicle over 15yr old that has completely stock exhaust". Once again the few have bent the ear of the select and got something by because of false information. The whole helmet thing get debated back and forth. I dunno I have seen a watermelon hit the road @ 30 or 40 mph so I'm sold on a bucket. When California gets nothing but electric cars they might be happy. I'd get a PO Box in next state and register my car.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
The Cali legislature tried to pass a fix-it law that outlawed aftermarket parts. I guess it went nowhere because that was "restraint of trade" which violates federal law. If anyone knows more about this, please contribute that.
If such a law passed, it would put an end to a huge multi-billion dollar industry and give the OEMs a monopoly that could lead to not only very pricey parts, but make them unavailable over the counter - only to be installed in their shops.
Re loud pipes; I hear guys brag about having pipes so loud that they set off car alarms, even on the street where they live. I hope that Cali law came to be to address that abuse and leave those with mild sounding pipes be.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Almost all aftermarket exhausts have only been legal for "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" for a long time. Even the pipes that are 49 state or 50 state legal, while meeting emissions by having catalysts in them, still don't meet noise regulations. Think about it... If they could have that rumble, legally, they would leave the factory like that.

We have pretty much done this to ourselves. "Loud pipes lose rights" is really starting to ring true, huh? Around here, the louder the better for the local biker crowd.

"I don't always rev my bike and listen to the pipes, but when I do, so does half the county".

"P" 's ex-husband has a Shovelhead with long, straight fishtail pipes on it... absolutely nothing in them... and when he leaves here I can hear him for 5 miles (and yes, I've been friends with her ex for over 30 years).

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
That guy's driving, in that video, scares the crap outa me. His hands are off the wheel more than they are on. I could not watch it for more than a little bit. Talk about distracted driving - he's more focused on making his video that his and others' safety.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Since I'm is SoCal it looks like I might have to change the Tri-Ovals to Stock exhaust. That even hurts to write!!

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Aren't tri-ovals gov't approved for street use?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Aren't tri-ovals gov't approved for street use?
Even the pipes that are 49 state or 50 state legal, while meeting emissions by having catalysts in them, still don't meet noise regulations. Apparently, the factory stamp is required....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since I'm is SoCal it looks like I might have to change the Tri-Ovals to Stock exhaust. That even hurts to write!!
You should be okay with the Tri-ovals as long as you didn't modify them. I'm pretty sure Polaris had to get them carb certified as a 50 state muffler. They aren't very loud anyway. I have them on my XC and I'm going to be going back to my Thrush modded stock muffs. Better and bit louder/deeper sound IMHO.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts