Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pick up my new CC and so far it's all I wanted and more. One question though, oil and filter scheduled maintenance. Owners manual says every 2500 miles and that seems a bit aggressive for todays oils and filters.

Any reason I don't know about?

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have no intentions of being cheap but I also have no intentions of changing oil three times on a summer trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking of a CC myself. Pics, initial review :confused: ?
Mine is just your basic black. Nothing added yet.
I am still getting used to the bike. It does handle a bit different than my last couple of bikes but so far I'm sure I am going to love it. The true test will be on my first long trip. Can't wait.
Don

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Have no intentions of being cheap but I also have no intentions of changing oil three times on a summer trip.
If you don't have intentions on changing it why ask the question?

Your manual has the recommended change intervals and that is what you SHOULD follow. You will also notice that shifting will become increasingly harder going beyond that interval.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don't have intentions on changing it why ask the question?

Your manual has the recommended change intervals and that is what you SHOULD follow. You will also notice that shifting will become increasingly harder going beyond that interval.
You're right, I was wrong in posting this question. I was a little surprised that in 2010 there is a motorcycle that still recommends that kind of change interval.
I should have ask if most of the people on this forum followed this schedule. But, with all the replies I guess I got the answer.
Thanks for your reply
Don

·
Registered
275 Posts
You're right, I was wrong in posting this question. I was a little surprised that in 2010 there is a motorcycle that still recommends that kind of change interval.
I should have ask if most of the people on this forum followed this schedule. But, with all the replies I guess I got the answer.
Thanks for your reply
Don
Don,

Without oil analysis, I would stick with Vic's recommended interval.

I do agree that the Vic should be able to go past 2500, and may be conservative in their end, but again, without analysis, I wouldn't. You have a big cube engine running quite hot and has a common sump which contaminates the oil from engine, tranny and clutch.

One exception would be to use AMSOIL Motorcycle Specific oils and the AMSOIL EA Series oil filter. With this combination, you are good to 5000.

The filter is a necessary element as it is 15 Micron Absolute and not another filter compares.

1-877-356-6099 goes to my cell..

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don,

Without oil analysis, I would stick with Vic's recommended interval.

I do agree that the Vic should be able to go past 2500, and may be conservative in their end, but again, without analysis, I wouldn't. You have a big cube engine running quite hot and has a common sump which contaminates the oil from engine, tranny and clutch.

One exception would be to use AMSOIL Motorcycle Specific oils and the AMSOIL EA Series oil filter. With this combination, you are good to 5000.

The filter is a necessary element as it is 15 Micron Absolute and not another filter compares.

1-877-356-6099 goes to my cell..

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
I gotta raise a HUGE BS flag on this post. There's nothing super duper special about Amsoil that will allow you to double you change intervals unless you are willing to forgo your factory warranty and trust that Amsoil will step in and pay your bills once Victory refuses your claims.

Do you have the fully documented test using a Victory 100/106 Freedom engine that proves your assumption that your oil and filter can maintain the qualities required by Victory to 5000 miles? Without that I ain't drinking the kool aid.

Also, there are a number of threads on the larger Victory sites where people have documented that in the Victory Freedom engines, Amsoil WILL CAUSE CLUTCH SLIPPAGE.

Factory interval is 2500 miles, you choose to not follow it at your own peril. Will there be engine / trans damage is you don't, who knows, but I for one do not want to be the one that finds out.

I suggest plotting out dealers on your route and planning for the 1 or 2 stops, depending on the length of your journey, to get your oil changed, it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gotta raise a HUGE BS flag on this post. There's nothing super duper special about Amsoil that will allow you to double you change intervals unless you are willing to forgo your factory warranty and trust that Amsoil will step in and pay your bills once Victory refuses your claims.

Do you have the fully documented test using a Victory 100/106 Freedom engine that proves your assumption that your oil and filter can maintain the qualities required by Victory to 5000 miles? Without that I ain't drinking the kool aid.

Also, there are a number of threads on the larger Victory sites where people have documented that in the Victory Freedom engines, Amsoil WILL CAUSE CLUTCH SLIPPAGE.

Factory interval is 2500 miles, you choose to not follow it at your own peril. Will there be engine / trans damage is you don't, who knows, but I for one do not want to be the one that finds out.

I suggest plotting out dealers on your route and planning for the 1 or 2 stops, depending on the length of your journey, to get your oil changed, it's cheap insurance.
I wasn't the one that talked about Amsoil I was the one that asked the question about 2500 mile change intervals.

I don't use Amsoil so I can't say as to clutch slippage but I know a lot of people that uses Amsoil in different kinds of motorcycles including Victorys with no problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wasn't the one that talked about Amsoil I was the one that asked the question about 2500 mile change intervals.

I don't use Amsoil so I can't say as to clutch slippage but I know a lot of people that uses Amsoil in different kinds of motorcycles including Victorys with no problems.
Sorry for the confusion, the bulk of my post was directed at the Scamsoil salesman.

I too have used Amsoil on a number of bikes and never had an issue with the clutch but read through here and The VMC and you'll see a number of people have had problems.

It isn't a few isolated cases, it's quite a few including mechanics who sell and install the stuff. Some have used it without a problem so it's really up in the air as to why.

Either way, when I use Amsoil or any other oil / filter combo is till maintain the factory drain intervals and that was the crux of my reply.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Extending a drain interval does not void any warranty. It is against the law. A Dealer cannot void a warranty.

AMSOIL must be one smart oil if it can cause clutch slippage on some bikes and not on others.

AMSOIL is also the only Synthetic that I am aware of that can be used in High HP wet clutch Superchargers.

One of my retail accounts is a Victory dealer and sells both our 10W-40 and 20W-50 MOTORCYCLE Specific oils and have had only one problem... It was an employee who said there was no way he was going to pay $9.00 per qt for M/C Specific Synthetic.. The previous oil used was Mobil 1 Automotive oil which does not have the proper specs.

It is just an easy out for people and mechanics to put the blame on. Especially a mechanic as 99+% have No Technical training in lubricants. Most can't even tell you what the numbers on the bottle mean much less tell you what the proper specs are for your bike.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
275 Posts
Also, yes, there is something Super Duper about AMSOIL or all the other oil companies would not be trying to duplicate it.

Since the first White Paper, many oil companies ramped up their formulations on Motorcycle Specific oils thanks to the test results. They are still lagging, but there is some serious competition on the forefront.

AMSOIL's Formulations and additive packs do allow it to go 2x OEM Drain intervals.. We did some independent testing on a customers bike where at 3350 miles, the Synthetic in it had sheared back a full viscosity grade and was recommended by the analysis company to change at the earliest opportunity.

Same bike with AMSOIL.. Driven around Orlando, to Sturgis and back and more around Orlando... 9731 miles and it came back "Continue to next regular service interval.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, the bulk of my post was directed at the Scamsoil salesman.

Showing your 16 year old mentallity I see

I too have used Amsoil on a number of bikes and never had an issue with the clutch but read through here and The VMC and you'll see a number of people have had problems.

It isn't a few isolated cases, it's quite a few including mechanics who sell and install the stuff. Some have used it without a problem so it's really up in the air as to why.

As I said... One smart oil if it can pick and choose... Can't you see that just by your own post here it is not AMSOIL causing the problem ? It is either a mechanical issue or the previous oil...

Either way, when I use Amsoil or any other oil / filter combo is till maintain the factory drain intervals and that was the crux of my reply.
And if that is what you are comfortable doing, you should maintain that interval. AMSOIL with use of the AMSOIL EA Series filter is capable of 2X the OEM Interval.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Extending a drain interval does not void any warranty. It is against the law. A Dealer cannot void a warranty.

Yes you are right that the "dealer" cannot void the warranty but Victory can void it if a dealer reports the extended oil change interval caused damage and then Vic WILL send out a Victory Tech to check it. If that tech finds the fault of the failure due to extended oil change interval it IS legal to void the warranty of all parts that are effected by the oil which is most of the engine and tranny internals!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes you are right that the "dealer" cannot void the warranty but Victory can void it if a dealer reports the extended oil change interval caused damage and then Vic WILL send out a Victory Tech to check it. If that tech finds the fault of the failure due to extended oil change interval it IS legal to void the warranty of all parts that are effected by the oil which is most of the engine and tranny internals!
OK... I will try to explain this.. No, the OEM cannot void a warranty for extended drains. It is against the law.

The OEM Must prove that the extended drain caused the problem, not the customer prove it didn't. By Law, the Burden of proof is on the OEM.

I was a Certified Tech, not a mechanic, there is a difference, and have owned and sold several successful shops and ran a couple others in-between. I don't care how good the Tech is, they cannot tell if the oil is bad by looking at it, smelling it, feeling it or even tasting it. Oil Analysis must be performed. If they do not perform analysis, and they won't, they just lost. I have fought this with Mitsubishi and Ford.. I had the Analysis report. They lost.

Just as with aftermarket parts such as filters.. The Dealer can be required by the OEM to use ONLY OEM parts BUT, the customer does not have to and the use of such parts Do Not Automatically void any warranty unless those parts are listed by Manufacturers name in the Written Warranty.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
The OEM can void the warranty if they deem the extended oil change caused the damage. Then it is up to the customer to sue the manufacturer.

It is not illegal for the OEM to void the warranty if the extended oil change caused the damage.

You can look at oil especially extended usage and see a lot of problems with it. Color, smell, consistency can all show up.

A motorcycle engine is NOT a Ford or Mitsubishi engine. It is much easier to tell damage in a motorcycle engine than a car motor.

Furthermore the VICTORY engine and tranny share the same oil. I don't think any Ford or Mitsubishi does.

You may know Ford and Mitsubishi but I know Victory.

I brought this up in the other thread and will repeat it here. I've noticed that you haven't commented on Amsoils engine cooling efficiency.

Is Amsoil formulated for cooling the Victory engine? Probably not because it is generic for whatever application calls for the weight.

The Victory oil is formulated to help cool the Victory engine.

You need to just peddle your product and stop the outright lies you are making.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The OEM can void the warranty if they deem the extended oil change caused the damage. Then it is up to the customer to sue the manufacturer.

It is not illegal for the OEM to void the warranty if the extended oil change caused the damage.

You can look at oil especially extended usage and see a lot of problems with it. Color, smell, consistency can all show up.

A motorcycle engine is NOT a Ford or Mitsubishi engine. It is much easier to tell damage in a motorcycle engine than a car motor.

Furthermore the VICTORY engine and tranny share the same oil. I don't think any Ford or Mitsubishi does.

You may know Ford and Mitsubishi but I know Victory.

I brought this up in the other thread and will repeat it here. I've noticed that you haven't commented on Amsoils engine cooling efficiency.

Is Amsoil formulated for cooling the Victory engine? Probably not because it is generic for whatever application calls for the weight.

The Victory oil is formulated to help cool the Victory engine.

You need to just peddle your product and stop the outright lies you are making.
This is getting downright funny.

No lies here except for you from what I see.

I sell to 2 Vic Dealers who go through Thousands of $$ a month and they have no problems.

You seem to have all the problems...

Don't try to tell everyone that a Vic engine is so different from any other M/C engine and the oil is a special blend...

Yes, AMSOIL provides cooler oil temps...

You as a Dealer, cannot void a warranty.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
275 Posts
Also, they cannot void a warranty if they "Deem" it was the oil or change interval..

It must be proven... That is the law... Neither you or Victory can change that.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

1 - 20 of 31 Posts