Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, I just got a used 2013 CCT. I love the bike and have already taken it to the mountains to ride the twisties and lean the feel. After 500 mile on my new (to me) bike I have question I know that can be answered out here.

1. I was coming to a stop and down shifting and the bike chirped the tire and shut off. Not sure how I or if I done it but it was really odd. I stopped at the light and hit the starter and it fired back up but. Is this a new guy issue or have anyone else done or heard of this?

2. The bike came with the Bassani slip-ons on it. I like the sound of them. Do you need a fuel processor with these? Someone told me I do and it should be under the seat but I checked and saw no unit. I do get some popping and a random backfire with slowing down. Is this normal with them or do I need to have a new mapping done or a fuel processor on it.

3. Air sound. I hear a lot of puffing of air. Hard to explain but it sounds like the bike is pushing out air and not through the exhaust. This is more in likely me just learning the new sounds but can’t hurt t ask.

4. Power. Now I came off a Vulcan 900. I kind of expected this bike to plant my but hard in the seat but it don’t feel that much more get up and go compared to my 900. Is this because this bike is so much heavier?

5. iPod issue. My iPod started to play on the bike but if I skip a song or move forward through the list then it will not play anymore. I have to take my iPod off the bike and do a hard reboot to get it to play. This is an older iPod Classic. Has anyone seen problems like this before.

I know a lot of questions under one post but just learn my new bike.

I have searched the forum but have not found answer to all these.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ipod Classic has a hard drive, the vibration will kill it . You need to buy a Ipod with a flash drive.

·
Registered
611 Posts
1. I was coming to a stop and down shifting and the bike chirped the tire and shut off. Not sure how I or if I done it but it was really odd. I stopped at the light and hit the starter and it fired back up but. Is this a new guy issue or have anyone else done or heard of this?

3. Air sound. I hear a lot of puffing of air. Hard to explain but it sounds like the bike is pushing out air and not through the exhaust. This is more in likely me just learning the new sounds but can’t hurt t ask.

4. Power. Now I came off a Vulcan 900. I kind of expected this bike to plant my but hard in the seat but it don’t feel that much more get up and go compared to my 900. Is this because this bike is so much heavier?
Answering the ones I can here

1) Tire chirp on downshift is the result of engine speed being too low relative to tire speed. Most likely you were a little too quick releasing the clutch and the tire locked for a moment while it tried to spin up the motor. The stall is hard to diagnose without more info. How fast were you going when it stalled? If nearly stopped then that's your issue. Downshift braking only works to get you slowed. If you're about to stop you should have the clutch in and hold it

3)Puffing air sound is probably the intake noise. I noticed it on mine when i bought it earlier this year but I'm used to loud intakes from my aprilias so I recognized it as that and just ignore it now. You're moving a LOT of air in a small period of time through the throttle bodies. It's not a steady stream that keeps moving but a pulse of intake for each cylinder

4) Definitely a heavier bike than the vulcan so that has an effect. Also possibly a different total drive ratio between the gearbox and final drive. Lots of factors to consider when comparing butt dyno feel between bikes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The "air" sound you hear may also be that the previous owner removed the rubber seal between the gas tank and the air filter. A lot of folks remove this seal and also unplug the oxygen sensors on the exhaust manifolds to "Open" the closed air/fuel system. These bike are setup pretty lean form the factory and this is supposed to help reduce that. I pulled my air filter seal when I replaced the stock filter with a Lloyds one .. i also have my O2 sensors disconnected. I have custom pipes and I do get a little "grumble" to popping during deceleration but nothing to worry about ...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feed back so fast.

I'm thinking for most of it ( The Stall, Power and the Air sound) this it's just me learning a new bike but, never hurts to ask.

I am really curious about if I need a fuel processor with those pipes. Guess I will keep researching this one.

For the iPod, I figured I would get another one cause I love having music on the log ride.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
These bikes are known to stumble and/or stall when blipping,rev matching, etc. If you are already windering about a fuel controller, I say don't hesitate. It will give you the proper air/fuel ratio for your setup (dyno tune recommended!) and also stop that annoying stall/stumble.

Another good investment is the Lloyda ATS (Adjustable Timing System) to advance the timing a bit. I run mine at +6. These bikes are severely detuned for both riding smoothness and EPA restrictions. A fuel controller and a timing wheel will do wonders for you.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You need to find out from the person that put the slip-ons on your bike what else was done to it. You can pop off the side cover on the clutch side and see if there is a little box adhered in there. If there is then identify it to us. If not then you are in need of a tuner as that would be the location to put one. Do your research on tuners and ask questions. Here on this forum if you like. I you want to take your bike to a higher level then there will many opinions as to what's the best way to approach this.

If you look at my signature it will show you a path that I took. Mistakes were made along the way and luckily not to costly.
you have Bassani's which are a good pipe. my next step would be a Lloyds air filter, a Lloyds timing wheel, and a Power Commander 5. with this package you will need a DYNO tune. This is the only way to dial in this bike correctly. Anything else is a guess.

Keep in mind if you want cams at a later date then you will require another DYNO tune. every DYNO tune is a $250 visit. For me It was advantageous to do it all at one time. No regrets. just a great running and very powerful motorcycle. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
You need to find out from the person that put the slip-ons on your bike what else was done to it. You can pop off the side cover on the clutch side and see if there is a little box adhered in there. If there is then identify it to us. If not then you are in need of a tuner as that would be the location to put one. Do your research on tuners and ask questions. Here on this forum if you like. I you want to take your bike to a higher level then there will many opinions as to what's the best way to approach this.

If you look at my signature it will show you a path that I took. Mistakes were made along the way and luckily not to costly.
you have Bassani's which are a good pipe. my next step would be a Lloyds air filter, a Lloyds timing wheel, and a Power Commander 5. with this package you will need a DYNO tune. This is the only way to dial in this bike correctly. Anything else is a guess.

Keep in mind if you want cams at a later date then you will require another DYNO tune. every DYNO tune is a $250 visit. For me It was advantageous to do it all at one time. No regrets. just a great running and very powerful motorcycle. Good luck!
GEEZE Theyre slugging you hard for return tunes!!!
My bike was initially fully tuned when the PCV was fitted, after I fitted the Ness Ram filter and advance wheel.
Took it back again after I fitted the Torque Tubes and Steve only hit me up for a $50 to tailor it in to the TTI

·
13,003 Posts
On your ipod do you have the 30 pin connector or the signal pin connector on the bike. The 30 pin connector will let you control the ipod
If you need the 30 pin connector dealer will have one

If you talk to dealer he might give you the name of the guy who owned it before you

·
Registered
131 Posts
The blipping/stall is a common Vic issue. The bike runs too lean in its stock setup. A fuel processor would definitely help. An inexpensive fix for now is disconnecting the O2 sensor; its not the perfect fix but it helps. Many say the Lloydz timing gear helps as well. Google those two suggestions and you'll find much info.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Answers in Blue below.
Hi All, I just got a used 2013 CCT. I love the bike and took already took it to the mountains to ride the twisties and lean the feel. After 500 mile on my new (to me) I have question I know that can be answered out here.

OEm setting on the bike are very lean, couple that to a slow update rate on the computer that bike can think is it stalling dump too much fuel in and stall.
2. The bike came with the Bassani slip-ons on it. I like the sound of them. Do you need a fuel processor with these? Someone told me I do and it should be under the seat but I checked and saw no unit. I do get some popping and a random backfire with slowing down. Is this normal with them or do I need to have a new mapping done or a fuel processor on it.
Tuner would most likely be under the left side cover. If it doesn't have on might consider installing a PC-V. Don't mess with the others IMHO
A motor is an Air pump, if you improve the exhaust the intake is trying harder to accommodate the wanted increase in air. BC (Before Cams) my did just that. After installing cams the intake noise is mostly gone.

Bike is heavier yes, but due to restrictive EPA laws the bike is timed in such a way to help burn the unlawful gasses in a very hot cylinder and killing engine efficiency and performance. An Adjustable Timing wheel set to +4-+8 will help with this across the RPM band. Better grind og cams will bring the bike to life. Suggest that you contact Lloydz Motorworkz, the Vic Shop, or KMC powersports to get the straight skinny on what this can do for you.

5. iPod issue. My iPod started to play on the bike but if I skip a song or move forward through the list then it will not play anymore. I have to take my iPod off the bike and do a hard reboot to get it to play. This is an older iPod Classic. Has anyone seen problems like this before.

I know a lot of questions under one post but just learn my new bike.

I have searched the forum but have not found answer to all these.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the good info. I have searched under both side covers and the seat and found no fuel unit. Guess the next step will be to call the shop where it was originally purchased from and see if the can tell me if anything else was changed. If I Need to add the fuel processor the I will add an high flow air filter also. Besides that don't think I will change anything else on the engine.

I do want to add small driving lights to the front for some more visibility and the new sabertooth saddlebag lights to the rear. Guess that will me the next search after the fuel unit.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I also came off a Vulcan 900, but I immediately noticed a difference in power. A big one, especially while already rolling at highway speed. The 106 has it up top where the VN900 does not. And that feeling only improved as the motor loosened up in the first few thousand miles.

You might weigh 25% more, but the 106 produces twice the power and torque of the 900. That should be more than enough to feel in the ol' butt dyno.

could it be the presence of performance exhaust/possible airbox mod and no fuel controller is robbing your power by running you too lean? I dunno. Mebbe someone got an opinion on that idea.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Thanks for all the good info. I have searched under both side covers and the seat and found no fuel unit. Guess the next step will be to call the shop where it was originally purchased from and see if the can tell me if anything else was changed. If I Need to add the fuel processor the I will add an high flow air filter also. Besides that don't think I will change anything else on the engine.

I do want to add small driving lights to the front for some more visibility and the new sabertooth saddlebag lights to the rear. Guess that will me the next search after the fuel unit.
I had these Clearwater "Glenda" LED driving lights on my XC, which I took off before the trade and reinstalled on my new XCT. IMO, they are superior to other M/C specific lights but, they are $$$.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I had these Clearwater "Glenda" LED driving lights on my XC, which I took off before the trade and reinstalled on my new XCT. IMO, they are superior to other M/C specific lights but, they are $$$.
Cool lights, have to ask, how they mount....thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Thanks!

Clearwater offers some very nice mounting brackets with their lights. When we had the fairing off, while installing my air horn, we noticed a bracket that looked like it would support the LED mounts. They fit perfectly and looked real good in that location. I can adjust them up and down and these lights come with a dimmer switch, that mounts on the handle bar.

I had originally planned to mount them on the upper half of the the crash bars, in the Hard Lowers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you get a chance can you post the part numbers or exactly what you used and possibly a few more pics. I really like that set up and would like to do the same for mine. Thanks!!

Thanks!

Clearwater offers some very nice mounting brackets with their lights. When we had the fairing off, while installing my air horn, we noticed a bracket that looked like it would support the LED mounts. They fit perfectly and looked real good in that location. I can adjust them up and down and these lights come with a dimmer switch, that mounts on the handle bar.

I had originally planned to mount them on the upper half of the the crash bars, in the Hard Lowers.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Hey Larry,

I purchased these in 2011 so I don't have the exact p/n but, I'll post the Website for Clearwater below. You can search their site for the LED's that meet your needs. I bought the Glenda's but, they have newer models to chose from now. I'll take some other pics for you too. cheers
http://www.clearwaterlights.com/

·
Registered
69 Posts
Awesome, thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts