Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after making a mistake and buying a Goldwing last year, I finally traded it for a 2013 CCT in Bronze Mist. I am really loving this bike!

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Congrats on the new XCT! thumb up

Didn't even consider the GW when I was ready to move from a sportbike to a bagger/touring bike. After the first XC demo ride, it was a done deal.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome to the Cult....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dan, I think a lot of us had the Goldwing on our short list when we bought our Cross Country Tours. What didn't you like about the wing and if you don't mind, do a little comparo of the two.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Dan, I think a lot of us had the Goldwing on our short list when we bought our Cross Country Tours. What didn't you like about the wing and if you don't mind, do a little comparo of the two.
I'm not Dan but I'll throw in my nickel since I traded my '03 Wing for the CCT.

First off, I bought the Wing a year and a half ago. Had an '06 Royal Star Venture Midnight edition. Was a great bike but 2 things about it turned me to the Wing ... we pull a Leesur-Lite tent trailer and the Venture was a bear to drive and even more so with the trailer in tow. It also had a bad clutch basket whine but it was mostly the trailer issue and the poor handling especially at low speeds.

The Wing was great ... easy to handle, hauled that trailer like it wasn't even there.

The downsides:
All that tupperware made it a PITA to work on especially when changing the air filter.
I felt like I was driving a car most of the time except it only had two wheels. Cars are boring!
It had a real noisy alternator drive gear. The alternator drive itself was fine... just the gears and to fix that involved pulling the motor. This Wing had 168,000 kilometers on it (no biggie for a Wing tho).

We (wife and I) wanted something that would give us that "motorcycle feel" back that we had with the Venture but still be easy to handle and pull the trailer. We don't pull the trailer a lot. Most of our riding is local, day trips or overnight weekenders.

We've been looking at the CCT for a couple years and after some research and a few demo rides, we decided that this was the bike for us.

What's different from the Wing or for that matter, the Venture...

The CCT is even easier to handle than the Wing was and by far easier than the Venture.
The CCT rides nicer than the Wing.
The ergonomics of the CCT are, for me, better than the Wing and somewhat similar to the Venture. I sit lower on the CCT than either of those two bikes.
The sound system on the CCT is better than either of the other two.
Power of the CCT is less than the Wing but more than the Venture so have no issue with that.
Storage capacity of the CCT is better than the other two.
While both the Venture and the Wing had driver/passenger intercom and CB, the CCT does not ... we don't miss that.
The CCT has both heated grips and seat ... had heated grips on the Wing, not the Venture. Wife likes the heated seat!
Gauges on the CCT are much better.
Wind management is way better than the other two ... we hardly get any buffeting at all on the CCT.

Downside of the CCT:
It's a V-twin and has a fair amount of vibration under load; however, it's pretty smooth when just cruising at a steady speed. Since it's hardly broken in yet, this may diminish some as we get more smiles on it (according to what others say).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The wing was a 2012 by the way. I agree with all the above with a couple of other things:
Poor throttle response in first gear. It would launch suddenly in the parking lot.
Wobble at 40 when decelerating.
Popping out of gear. Never had that happen on my other bikes.
Handlebar position.

Just removed the trunk and made a rack to hang it on. Installed a Utopia backrest and a short antenna from Wally world. Reception is still good.
Really like the look with the trunk off and the lowers on.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Poor throttle response in first gear. It would launch suddenly in the parking lot.

Wobble at 40 when decelerating.

Handlebar position.
Mine had that "lurch" also and a few times it caught me off guard and I almost dumped it.

No wobbles in mine as I had the "full monty" Traxxion suspension.

I installed risers to deal with the handlebar position ... made it a lot better.

I had my Wing only a year and a half and did a lot of "personalizing" to it and just got it to where I liked it ... then I got rid of it for the CCT ... for the first week with the CCT I was thinkin ... "WTF ... why did I do this?" LOL ... but those thoughts are so gone now.

My Wing...

IMG_2418a.jpg

IMG_2413a.jpg

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Congrats Dan! Hope you love yours as much as I love mine. The tranny is a little different on Victory's, but it grows on you. I stil have my Vulcan 900 and ride it to work. Now I wonder why it doesn't clunk when I put her in 1st instead of the other way round.thumb up

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
That's my story, too. Traded in a 2002 GL1800 with 52000 miles (I know that's hardly anything for a 'Wing, but they were all mine).

Wing Pros:
- Strong power in almost any gear/speed. I could roll from 30MPH to whatever the top end is in 5th gear.
- Electric/hydraulic shock adjustment
- Electric reverse (I know there is a kit for the XCT but I barely used it on the 'Wing in the first place)
- Built-in intercom system
- Awesome horn
- Many accessories

Wing Cons (for me):
- Seating position. I'm a big guy for my height (and I am 6'2"). XCT is MUCH more comfortable for me
- Crappy stereo (I believe this was addressed in later years, starting 05 or 06)
- Too much bodywork! Took over an hour to replace an air filter.
- Higher center-of-gravity
- Every time I sat on it, I could hear the plastics rb & creak; this was normal, apparently they "all do it" lol

So glad I bought my XCT. I'll gladly live with having to shift more often for a more comfortable ride.
The Sena bluetooth headsets are so much better qualilty than using the J&M set with the built-in GoldWing intercom; it's night and day. Plus, I can also make/take phone calls or have Siri read my text messages :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts