Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since late January I have let Cee Baileys keep my XC for a total of 5 weeks, in order to develop a new windshield. I have no financial interest of any sort in Cee Baileys, but I did receive a free shield (just full disclosure). The idea they have is too bring the shield closer to the rider…they call it a “step contour” and I had one on my Road Glide, which also is prone to terrible buffeting. I believe part of the buffeting issue is the greater distance from the shield to the rider than on many other bikes. This lets the air going over the shield “tumble” on the rider and creates buffeting.

I have used the shield for maybe 500 miles so far and have been pleased with it. The optics are really nice, very little “lensing” (I.e. distortion where the shield curves). Excellent quality. For me it clearly works better than the stock shape shields (I have 4 different sizes of those) and, again to me, looks better. They call it the “Cee Dragon”. I tried to take some pics, but have no talent, so I decided to just post a link. The black XC in their web site is actually my bike. The shield comes pre drilled, and in my experience, CB will actually let one return a shield if done so immediately and in new condition.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/victory/victory_ceedragon_ws.html

( I am leaving my XC with them for 6 weeks statring Monday, when we leave on a trip to Asia, for CB to finalize some lowers which should fit inside the crash bar area :D)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can you definitively say the new CB windshield reduces the buffeting?

I have a Gus +2" windshield on my XC and still have significant buffeting at the top of my head, far better than the stock windshield but bad nonetheless. Significant enough to make riding less enjoyable. I'm 6ft tall with a 32" inseam.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the buffeting is caused primarily by air coming up from underneath and meeting with the air coming over the windshield.

I have a set of lower wind deflectors mounted on the forks but have not yet had a chance to try them out. I'm hoping these lowers make a noticeable difference.

If they don't, my next step is a taller windshield, which I don't relish paying for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since late January I have let Cee Baileys keep my XC for a total of 5 weeks, in order to develop a new windshield. I have no financial interest of any sort in Cee Baileys, but I did receive a free shield (just full disclosure). The idea they have is too bring the shield closer to the rider…they call it a “step contour” and I had one on my Road Glide, which also is prone to terrible buffeting. I believe part of the buffeting issue is the greater distance from the shield to the rider than on many other bikes. This lets the air going over the shield “tumble” on the rider and creates buffeting.

I have used the shield for maybe 500 miles so far and have been pleased with it. The optics are really nice, very little “lensing” (I.e. distortion where the shield curves). Excellent quality. For me it clearly works better than the stock shape shields (I have 4 different sizes of those) and, again to me, looks better. They call it the “Cee Dragon”. I tried to take some pics, but have no talent, so I decided to just post a link. The black XC in their web site is actually my bike. The shield comes pre drilled, and in my experience, CB will actually let one return a shield if done so immediately and in new condition.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/victory/victory_ceedragon_ws.html

( I am leaving my XC with them for 6 weeks statring Monday, when we leave on a trip to Asia, for CB to finalize some lowers which should fit inside the crash bar area :D)
Great timing...!!!! THANKS I just received my old style Cee Bailey windshield for my new XC a few weeks ago and I'm still getting some head buffeting.... plus it was sized where I had to sit upright to see over or slightly slouch to clearly see through it. The clarity of their plastic is extremely good.

I just called them and they gladly agreed to exchange mine for a new Cee Dragon model. I'm really looking forward to trying the new screen... as I value function over looks, especially on high mileage trips. I will try to remember to report back how it compares to the old and the OEM shield. Who knows, maybe the "double curve" won't look too strange after all. These guys are great to work with.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you definitively say the new CB windshield reduces the buffeting?

I have a Gus +2" windshield on my XC and still have significant buffeting at the top of my head, far better than the stock windshield but bad nonetheless. Significant enough to make riding less enjoyable. I'm 6ft tall with a 32" inseam.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the buffeting is caused primarily by air coming up from underneath and meeting with the air coming over the windshield.

I have a set of lower wind deflectors mounted on the forks but have not yet had a chance to try them out. I'm hoping these lowers make a noticeable difference.

If they don't, my next step is a taller windshield, which I don't relish paying for.
John, I think I could easily say it reduces buffeting, but I'd be uncomfortable saying it eliminates it. I have tried 6 different shield in conjunction with both the Victory fork mounted lowers, and the vinyl closeouts, and I agree that part of the issue is the air from below which needs to be addressed. I found the closeouts much more effective than the fork mounted lowers, but I think they will be an issue in warm (hot) weather.

The trick, I think, is to get a shield a tall as possible that you can still see over. The really tall "Goldwing" style see thru type shield actually seem to work best, but I don't like the look, and in the rain they are a problem. I am hoping that the new CB lowers will work well.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
out standing
keep us informed how the lowers go, I am assuming they are considered hard lowers.
DD, as I understand it, they will be acrylic plastic (i.e. windshield material) of varying sizes which will mount inside the crashbar area. I will return from my trip May 8, and hopefully will be able to write a test report very soon after. Believe me, I wouldn't let someone keep my bike for that long if I wasn't committed to fixing the buffeting issue.

·
Registered
679 Posts
DD, as I understand it, they will be acrylic plastic (i.e. windshield material) of varying sizes which will mount inside the crashbar area. I will return from my trip May 8, and hopefully will be able to write a test report very soon after. Believe me, I wouldn't let someone keep my bike for that long if I wasn't committed to fixing the buffeting issue.
What Buffeting? 15" Cee Baileys Standard windshield, Vic lowers, and for me no buffeting:)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What Buffeting? 15" Cee Baileys Standard windshield, Vic lowers, and for me no buffeting:)
WD, you are fortunate. Some riders don't seem to notice buffeting. I'm not sure if its because they wear different helmets, perhaps sit differently, or are just tougher:confused: However, I have quite a few bikes, and for me, and many others, the XC is terrible re: buffeting. I also have a 15" CB standard shield and lowers. btw.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I still notice it if there's a lot of choppy air (highway) and I don't have my soft lowers installed. Frankly, my soft lowers are very effective at eliminating buffeting. I'm hoping the Bailey's lowers will be an effective warm weather solution.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Cage Rider

WD, you are fortunate. Some riders don't seem to notice buffeting. I'm not sure if its because they wear different helmets, perhaps sit differently, or are just tougher:confused: However, I have quite a few bikes, and for me, and many others, the XC is terrible re: buffeting. I also have a 15" CB standard shield and lowers. btw.
If nothing else works try a blazer or a suburban with all of the windows up.cheerscheers I am sure that will solve the problem:):)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If nothing else works try a blazer or a suburban with all of the windows up.cheerscheers I am sure that will solve the problem:):)
:ltr: I thought a blazer was a sportcoat? Actually, I never drive a cage...just motorcycles (and scooters).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good scoop

Greg, the "lensing," how much distortion do you see, and where-front, or sides of the shield? Also, great that Cee Bailey is doing lowers. I, too, am anxious to see and hear about the lowers. I already have a CB 19" regular shield, but still have buffeting; I will buy this new shield from them next week. Thanks for the scoop.thumb up

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Greg, the "lensing," how much distortion do you see, and where-front, or sides of the shield? Also, great that Cee Bailey is doing lowers. I, too, am anxious to see and hear about the lowers. I already have a CB 19" regular shield, but still have buffeting; I will buy this new shield from them next week. Thanks for the scoop.thumb up
In my opinion, very little lensing. For example, I have seen two Gustafson shields, and the lensing (distorsion) was much worse.

The initial shield the CB had me try was too tall for me (I really slouch) and I had to look thru it. However, they did a good job of doing mist the curveing low on the shield, so it didn't really bother me. Last week they cut it down by 1 1/2" so now I see over the top. As I indicated earlier, it reduces the buffeting, but doesn't totally eliminate it.

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Thanks for doing this Greg. Really looking forward to seeing what CB comes up with for the crash bar lowers. I've found the Baker Air Wings for cruisers works very well but I'm sure a better looking design would be greatly appreciated by all X bike riders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts