Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very excited to pick up my new 2014 Cross Country. I have had it for a week and it has rained almost every day since the day I rode it home. Today I received a call from Northway Sports saying that they received a "Stop Sale. Stop Ride" notice from Victory for bikes within a certain VIN range. I am the lucky guy who got one in that range. So I have to stop riding the bike because apparently the crank shaft may seize up and cause me to crash. Better yet, they haven't even received the service bulletin yet so they don't know how to check my bike or how they are going to fix it if there is a problem. And they said they don't know when the bulletin will be sent out. So I have an $18,000 bike sitting in my garage that I can't ride. I have owned Harley, Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki motorcycles (all used) and I literally never had a single problem with any of them. Not a good first experience with Victory and I don't think I'll be a return customer.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Better a non returning customer than a dead customer, eh? Let's not jump to conclusions and keep us posted. OK?

·
Registered
89 Posts
In the exact same boat man... Had my bike for a week... Put 110 miles on it, had planned to ride to work today and a long ride with my daughter this weekend... Instead... It's sitting gathering dust until they figure out the fix...

This is my first experience with Victory as well... I lov the bike... I hope they make this right and make it happen quickly. The good news is from what I've read we are a lucky 2 out of 872 bikes affected. So hopefully they'll ensure sold bikes get fixed before unsold and they find some way to make this up to those affected.

I plan to make a phone call and let them know what a let down this is...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also worried about them having to tear into my motor. And the fact that they don't even know how to fix it yet.... I wish I could just get them to take it back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man that sucks. I hope they have a resolution fast.

I am just glad they determined what the issue is, and contacted you so that you could be safe.

Country.

·
13,188 Posts
The only way I can see a fix is new motor or hole new bike.
Cheapest way for Vic would be new bike bring old one back to factory

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Here's something to ponder....When Vic comes up with a solution for this crank recall, are they gonna pay to have your bike towed to the dealer for repair, since you're not supposed to ride it?

·
Registered
545 Posts
My Indian has been sitting over a month with the rear wheel that was recalled off of it ready to be replaced... wheel is in, but the rotor bolts which must be replaced as well are not available from polaris. Great planning... it's only been about a year since they have known about the wheel problem.

I have 2 of their products and it will be the last time that I deal with them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's something to ponder....When Vic comes up with a solution for this crank recall, are they gonna pay to have your bike towed to the dealer for repair, since you're not supposed to ride it?

My 2013 broke the lifter assembly in the front cylinder @ 370 miles, and was not rideable. Dealer wanted to charge me to pick it up.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I understand your frustration, if you wanna ride it that bad just go for it. But you won't because you know it could cause harm to yourself. Victory feels the same as you do about your safety.
Since you can't ride you should do some reading on recalls and see how many have been swept under the rug or covered up by manufacturers cause it would look bad.

If it were me I'd tell the dealer to come get it and bring me a loaner til mines done.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
the only way i can see a fix is new motor or hole new bike.
Cheapest way for vic would be new bike bring old one back to factory
agrees...............................

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to Northway Sports yesterday and they gave me a new Judge to ride until they get everything figured out. They said they don't want me to drive it there and they are going to come pick it up from my house. I am very pleased so far with the way Northway sports is handling this. :) I just hope the end result is the same.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another thing to mention is that I was told that out of the 872 bikes in that Vin range, they only believe 40 bikes were affected. They said that it would be most cost effective for them to just give me a new bike if mine does have the clearance problem. Otherwise it would be a new motor. I'm hoping for the latter if it comes down to it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My dealer has already committed to come pick up my bike. I live about 30 miles from the dealer... They are waiting to get direction from Victory regarding the fix before they pick it up. Said it would probably be a week...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another thing to mention is that I was told that out of the 872 bikes in that Vin range, they only believe 40 bikes were affected. They said that it would be most cost effective for them to just give me a new bike if mine does have the clearance problem. Otherwise it would be a new motor. I'm hoping for the latter if it comes down to it.
If that is the case, they need to get this ball rolling... I want to know if my bike is really defective or not... Doing what you suggested above shouldn't take very long depending on the procedure to check the clearance in question. I'll be just as ticked off if I have my bike sitting for an extended period of time only to find out I could have been riding all along...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It's the same as a car. If it has to be towed in it's likely you will get billed. Warranty claims are often negotiable and if recall related with a do not operate stipulation, the manufacturer will cover transport costs.
Having been through engine recall of the Gilroy era Indian motors I expect that no you will not get new motorcycles. Once a vehicle is transferred into customer ownership there are a bunch of reasons why that VIN won' t be transferred back. Of course there are well defined lemon law requirements that can force transfer but recall is exempt. That's one reason manufacturers are willing to recall.
The most likely factory response will likely be that they will ship factory qualified motors to approved service shops to replace the affected motors in bikes that have been sold. You will get full warranty on those motors.
It's just quicker and less likely to create subsequent issues to just swap engines. Matter of fact if they told me that they intended to rebuild I would insist that the rebuilding be done at the factory.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
If like Pop sez, you'll get an engine trade, you'll want to remove any aftermarket items and put the original part back. I'm talking timing wheel, air filter, controller, etc..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My mother in law had a motor blow up in a brand new car a few years ago and they just gave her a new car off the show floor. So it isn't unheard of. Also what about the issue of matching Vin and motor #s?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had heard something similar while I was at the victory dealer the other weekend. I paid no attention but now that I read this thread it made sense. Got me nervous for a second.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts