Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Victory owners,

After SEVERAL months of looking at the best bike for my needs, I decided to go with the Victory Cross Country. I absolutely love the bike! The only issue that I have is the bike has a "whine" above the normal engine noise. The whine is there whether you are moving or not. Full tank of gas, half tank of gas, etc... it doesn't matter. My dealer at the 500 mile checkup said they never heard it before. The whine is not there when the bike is cold, but it only takes a couple of minutes/seconds before it starts. It is driving me crazy to the point that I am wondering if I bough a lemon. The dealer worked with the Victory Tech line, but the best I got was "it might be a break in thing." My dealer told me that although they never experienced it before, the Tech. line said that they had experienced it at other dealerships. My dealer and Tech. line decided to monitor it and will see what it is like after a 1000 miles. At the 500 mile maintenance check, I bought the stage one kit. I can still hear it above the pipes. I actually bought earplugs today because the whine is so bad. Does anyone have any idea of what might might be going on? Thanks... Therapy

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
What year is your XC? A few bikes had a torque compensator issue in 2011, and a few 14's have a clearance issue with the crank. These issues are known by Vic and have fixes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow.... thanks for the quick reply. It is a 2014 Cross Country with the radio and engine guard. And, as far as the break in period was concerned, I followed the dealership and manual instructions to the tee. I only run Shell/Mobil 93 octane through the bike.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recall Information

I asked the dealer about the recall and he said "yes it was, but it was already adjusted when I bought it?"

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You've had the bike for several months so if the recall didn't come out until June how could your dealer have adjusted it when you bought it? Try calling the number to Vic and see what they have to say.

·
13,177 Posts
Does the whine increase with RPM's or does it stay at one pitch?
Wouldn't surprise me that your dealer is lying to you about the motor issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up on whine noise ...

Thanks for all the suggestions. And.... I will edit all of the bike type stuff and location this weekend (when I have time to figure it out). So, I only have had the bike about 3 weeks. I found out today that the bike was manufactured 4/30/2014 and does not have any recall on it (the recall ended with bikes after 4/25/2014). The whine does not increase with RPM. It's volume and frequency remains constant - moving or at idle. I'm thinking something related to the EFI? What is odd is that like today when it was rainy and "cooler," it took longer before it kicked in. it's like someone turns a switch on. I talked to the dealer again today and he said to put on another 500 miles and then bring it back to him.

·
13,177 Posts
you say its a whine does it sound more like a high pitched whistle.
might be gas cap venting. Open cap next time you here the sound.
Can't be motor cause the sound does not increase with speed.
With engine running lay on ground and very carefully feel where muffler meets header and see if you feel a leak.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Could it be the fuel pump?
I can hear the pump on mine sometimes more than other times, not loud, I don't think iv heard a bike with FI that didn't have pump whine....:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Could it be the fuel pump?
My thought as well. Have them test your fuel pump. Well worth the time spent, to prevent being stranded on the highway with a dead bike like we were last weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm pretty sure it's the fuel pump. I figure I will just wait the 500 miles and bring it back to see what they say. Thanks for all of the input...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts