Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after my long, long time saving and planning I picked up my Victory Cross Country Tour last week. Question? I've followed the initial break in guidance. However my dealer toll me my first break in service should be done at 600 miles. Now after I actually read the part on first break in service done in the owner manual it should have been done the 500 and not 600. And now they tell me that it would a be a week with their work load before the can do the first scheduled maintenance called for on my bike. Basically an oil & filter change. I have a group ride coming up this weekend which may put me somewhere around 800 miles or so. Would I be ok to maybe log 800 miles before that first oil and filer change. Or should I just go ahead knock it out before my group ride? I have had no issues what so ever with my bike since taking owner ship last week. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
You are going to get various answers about the first service. I had my dealer do the first service at 580 miles. Some folks prefer to do it themselves. I do not think I would wait.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
784 Posts
Change the oil and sa ve the receipt. Sounds like the dealer doesn't know a lot about the Victory line. Make sure the belt is correct and give it a good once over. Since you have had no issues it should be fine. The belts on the XCT start out loose so they might overttighten it anyway.
Enjoy the ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Finally after my long, long time saving and planning I picked up my Victory Cross Country Tour last week. Question? I've followed the initial break in guidance. However my dealer toll me my first break in service should be done at 600 miles. Now after I actually read the part on first break in service done in the owner manual it should have been done the 500 and not 600. And now they tell me that it would a be a week with their work load before the can do the first scheduled maintenance called for on my bike. Basically an oil & filter change. I have a group ride coming up this weekend which may put me somewhere around 800 miles or so. Would I be ok to maybe log 800 miles before that first oil and filer change. Or should I just go ahead knock it out before my group ride? I have had no issues what so ever with my bike since taking owner ship last week. :mad:
I've owned a bunch of new bikes and rarely ever get around to changing the oil at the 500 mile mark. That's what oil filters are for. I took my current XR in after a trip only because I had a freebie change thrown in with the deal. The service manager appeared stunned and told me he thought it would be alright if it "didn't make any funny noises." Was all I could do to keep from busting out laughing.

Oh and by the way, I never puss around with bikes during break in. Run em like you wanna use them.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As much as I love my new lady and hate to be without her. I'm going to get the service done before any long rides with my riding groups. Going to another Victory dealer tomorrow and hopefully they want give me the BS about work loads and how it's going to take a week before they even get started. I figure treat her right from the start and she be there for me many miles down the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts