Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short Version:
I traded in my Vulcan 900 Classic, for a 2012 Red Crossroads. The Crossroads is awesome, and wife and I are enjoying it a lot.

Long Version:
I thought I would write up something a bit longer for the guy\girl like me who may not have a bike, or are currently on a bike like my old one. I know I wondered what the real differences are between an entry level bike and the Victory. I often wondered if I would be buying bragging rights, or actually something tangible.

This is the opinion of an inexperienced rider’s first impressions of his Crossroads. This isn’t intended to be a fair comparison between the bikes. They are in vastly different price ranges, and the Victory is superior in nearly all aspects. As it should be considering the price.

This is more to answer, “What do you get for the money?”.

My first bike was a Yamaha FZ600 in the late 80’s. I had it for about 6 months\5,000 miles. Walked out to ride one day after work and it was gone. Never saw the bike again. I got busy with job, wife, and kids. Riding simply faded into the past. Twenty three years of marriage and four daughters later I got the itch to ride again.

I spent a lot of time lurking on various bike forums researching. My hope was that the urge would pass and I would move on to something else. The urge didn’t pass, unfortunately for my wallet.

Last Christmas I came across a pretty good deal on a 09 Vulcan 900 Classic with 0 miles on it. I took the motorcycle safety course and began the process of reminding my body how to ride a bike again over the course of another 5,000 miles.

The Vulcan was a good bike to get back in the game. The 900 was relatively comfortable, simple, and light as far as cruisers go. Sure more expensive bikes can do it better and with more comfort, but the 900 did everything I asked relatively cheaply. It was a great bike to decide if I really wanted to ride or was this just a passing hobby.

My wife and I recently went on our first bike trip into North Carolina and Tennessee on the 900. We rode the Blue Ridge Parkway for several days, Deals Gap (Tail of the Dragon), Gatlinburg, Cherokee, and a bunch of side roads in between. The 900 served us well, but on the way home we started talking about getting a more capable bike.

Lack of storage, passenger comfort, and lack of power at highway speeds were some of the issues we discussed.

The lack of storage really became an annoyance over the trip. If we rode in a half helmets and T-shirts it probably would not have been an issue, but we ride with a full face helmets and armored jackets. Even with empty bags we inevitably ended up carrying gear with us when we stopped.

I had picked up a Mustang seat for the 900, shortly after I bought it. It was certainly better than stock, but as the day would progress it became a source of fatigue and pain for her. Good seat for riding a few hours, but we were leaving first thing in the morning and coming home at dusk every day.

The 900 was enjoyable on a winding back road. Highway travel was not nearly as much fun due to lack of power. It could certainly do highway speeds, but lacked the lacked the HP to pull you out of a blind spot or distracted driver when you needed it.

I had researched Victorys quite a bit before I bought the Vulcan. I wanted her to sit on one to see if there was a big difference to the passenger seat. I sat her on a Vision and Cross Country and she immediately knew the seats were far better than what she had. I thought that was where we were going to leave it. The salesman asked us if we wanted to take a test ride. He gassed up a Vision and Crossroads for the two of us to test ride.

Within minutes of leaving the parking lot I had already developed a few impressions.

- Throwing my leg over the bike the seat was instantly more comfortable.
- The components had a much higher build quality than my 900. Switches and controls just felt much more solid.
- The Vision’s side bag storage was disappointing the Crossroad’s was awesome. Top Case storage was impressive as well.
- I was not blown away with the power. I definitely could tell there was more, but it wasn’t the least bit intimidating. It was certainly enough to put the bike where I wanted at highway speeds. I guess I was expecting a bit of a “handful”, but it wasn’t like that at all.
- The transmission wasn’t nearly as smooth as the 900, but it felt solid. Each shift is generates a solid thunk. It kind of grew on me over time. 6th gear Overdrive was welcome. I don’t know how many times on the Vulcan I hit the heel shifter looking for a gear that it just didn’t have.
- The handling. I don’t even have the right words to properly express this. Handling is the single most important thing to me. I don’t hop from bar to bar on my bike, I don’t drag race, I’m not really interested in joining clubs to brag about my bike, all I care about is enjoying a winding road. I want to ride comfortably and in complete control. This bike delivers that in spades.

Each turn it would track precisely where I put it. Road imperfections and seams were glided over effortlessly. I could get more turn with less lean, and leaning it over was stable and drama free. I could negotiate the same curves on the 900, but I had to stay focused to keep it exactly where I wanted. This was effortless and exhilarating all at the same time. Wife was much more at ease. She could tell how well it was handling and it made for a more relaxing ride.
We got home and talked about it for a few days. I ended up stopping by a dealer closer to home. We spent a few days negotiating, and eventually I walked out with a red Crossroads last Friday. I have put a little over 400 miles on it the last few days.

The feeling I have now is this is my bike. I don’t think there is a perfect bike out there, but I can’t wait for the next ride.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Congrats, welcome and thank you for the review. Please note that once you get out of your break-in period start shifting at around 3200 rpm. You'll find that each shift will drop you about 600 rpm and you'll stay closer to peak torque. You'll also find that you XR likes to rev and the power difference between it and your Kawi 900 will be very evident.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
Welcome to the red XR owner clan. +1 on what ammo said + don't let the revs drop below 2300 in any gear. Tranny shifts smother and quieter if you preload the shifter. Be honest about the weight on the bike when you air up the rear suspension. You and I have a great bike...enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
welcome from another red cr owner.we are almost always 2 up
and still 45 mpg. enjoy!--irv and joyce

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
- The handling. I don’t even have the right words to properly express this. Handling is the single most important thing to me. I don’t hop from bar to bar on my bike, I don’t drag race, I’m not really interested in joining clubs to brag about my bike, all I care about is enjoying a winding road. I want to ride comfortably and in complete control. This bike delivers that in spades.
This seems to be a big happy issue for many converts to the Victory brand. For some reason, Victory has decided to chase Harley and make their bikes less functional. Be happy, you scored a good one!

While I got all you Cross Roads people here, take a look at this:

Yeah, I know it's not on a Cross Roads, but I wonder if there is enough interest in such a shield to entice them to into putting one into production. Wind management is about the only area that our XRs could be markedly improved.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Good vid Saddlebag! You know if we can get one more XR owner to reply on this it will have the largest number of XR owners in one post of all posts on the Victory Forum with the exception of the Show Off thread.

BTW 7Jurock has a flip option for a replacement XR shield but just for the fun of it I'll email Klock Werks again to see if they've changed their minds about making one. After the released their Klock Werks XR I emailed and they said they had no plans but mqaybe persistance will help.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I have a very similar story. Decided to start riding early last year. Bought a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (in 2011). It was a great first bike for all the reasons you meantioned. Within a year though I had an itch for something more powerful, with more storage and most importantly, AMERICAN MADE!

So I started watching for a Cross Roads on the used market. Picked up a 2011 model back about 2 months ago. And I love it for all the reasons you stated too!

BTW, I still have the Vulcan. It's for sale. Lemme know if you know anyone in the market.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
BTW 7Jurock has a flip option for a replacement XR shield but just for the fun of it I'll email Klock Werks again to see if they've changed their minds about making one.
Is the 7Jurock something you have to ask to be custom made? When I look at the site here it looks like a plain flat screen.

http://www.7jurock.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=330

Do you know anyone who has a 7Jurock flip or have any pics? Thanks, I'm really interested in trying such a product. The aerodynamically designed V-Stream windscreen on my FJR works so much better than standard screens. I'm dreaming that I could find something that works as well on the XR.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
and you guys laughed at my 7 jurock w/shield that i had them
make for me.with the lowers on there is no buffeting and no
air blasting me in the chest from below. i think they are a great
company to work with. i can still lose about 2 inches off the
top and be ok i think. of course we all dont want a 4x8 sheet of
lexan in front of them!--irv

·
Registered
158 Posts
I rode a Honda Aero 750 for 5 months until I went to a Victory Demo ride. Had my '12 Red Cross Roads 2 weeks later. I'm loving it. Rode the Honda again the other day and it's like riding a toy when it come to handling and comfort. Glad I made the switch and welcome to the club.
Also, I have the Victory Mid Size windshield. I only use it in the cold or when I know I'm gonna be on the highway for more than 30 mins. Works pretty well for me at 6'1".

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
no, i didnt. this was made back in june. it does have a round
curve and is tall, wider, and also lower.have lowers on it also. there are
pics on here somewhere. bike is at the shop. will post when i get it back.--irv

lowers are also different than the vic ones.just clear the bars.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Here's the response I got from an email I sent to 7Jurock in June:

We do offer a FLIP option for the Victory Cross Roads. The FLIP option is an additional $25. That option is not available on our website yet, but you can call us to place to your order over the phone. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know. You can also contact us at (909) 634-8548. Thank you for your interest in our products. We hope to do business with you soon.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Sonia Torres

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
would be interested to hear if someone gets one.would like to
get another one made a little different. they forgot the light tint
last time. might try the flip if it works.--irv

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
just for the fun of it I'll email Klock Werks again to see if they've changed their minds about making one. After the released their Klock Werks XR I emailed and they said they had no plans but mqaybe persistance will help.
Here is another one from Klockwerks. It seems to me that this should fit fine. All he should have to do is drill it out for our bike's mounting hardware.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My first motorcycle was a 2009 Vulcan classic in Candy Diamond Red. Had it for about 9 months before looking for something with more power, a sixth gear, and no buzzing from the floorboards at highway speed. It was a great bike, especially for the price point.

Found a killer deal on an 09 1700 Classic LT that was nearly new. Loved that bike for about three months until someone knocked it out from under me.

During my three-month rehab, I started looking at Victories and eventually rode home on a 2012 Cross Roads in Sunset Red.

I loved both those Vulcans, but have never looked back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
trade

I traded my 07 900c Vulcan for a xct. Big mistake and wish I had it back. No support on ictory and is falling apart Rice bike are for smart people IMO and will never own a american bike again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts