Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 04 tour cruiser and had a new tire put on it today. Took the wheel and tire to a local shop to change it. The mechanic took the sprocket off . Was wondering what the consensus is on replacing the sprocket bolts and washers. He put the old ones back and used locktite on them. The book says replace. Will they be ok or do they need replaced???

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't know why you would have to change them. I know it's recommended on heads and manifold bolts, butt that's understandable do to expansion and contraction.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was checking the manual and it was saying to change the bolts and washers if they were removed or taken loose. I wasn't sure if maybe they would stretch from the torque and no longer be safe to use. I will check again and see what the torque is on them but I don't think over 60 ft/lbs.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well if you do change them i would go to Fastenal or a similar store to get them. Probably half the price of getting them from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I would change them with factory bolts , another member here had his sprocket removed and the bolts backed out and cut the end of his swingarm right off , he said he was lucky he wasn't killed and it cost him thousands to fix . Buy factory bolts and torque them to spec , it could save your life .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the information. Got new ones on order. It just isn't worth taking a chance on.

·
13,043 Posts
to bad you order them. Hardware store has grade 8 bolts at a cheaper price then what Vic chargers.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Don't buy any aftermarket accessories because they
don't use victory bolts!
Accessory ? Its his rear drive pulley .:confused: Evidently , you are taking part in a thread you haven't read one line of . Over and out .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the new bolts and cleaned all the gunk out of the holes and have them installed and torqued to specs. 49 lb/ft per the manual. They seemed to go into the wheel really easy. I would have thought with the red Loctite they came with that they would have been a little tighter going in. I screwed them all the way to the washer with my fingers. Now I am wondering if the wheel is screwed up from maybe being over torqued with an air wrench?? Any thoughts on this? Took the bike for a test ride and seems ok. Runs straight no vibration or noise.

·
13,043 Posts
over torquing wouldn't cause the lack of threads. It would be if they used the air impact to take them out. That maybe would of pulled thread metal out of holes.

Ride for a good hundred miles and they check torque all bolts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The guy at the shop used an air impact wrench on them and put them back with some kind of grey gunk. Didn't look like any kind of Loctite I have ever seen. I chased the threads with the appropriate tap and didn't get any appreciable amount of metal out of the holes. Blew them out with air and installed the new bolts and torqued to specs. I might have went 10 miles on the short test ride. Will try a longer one when the weather cooperates. Thanks for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts