Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Firstly, last June I hauled my AF Green XC to Iowa to see Rylan and have him install the VM1DR cams, Timing wheel, VFC3, and dyno tune it. Can't say I wasn't happy, but after today, WOW!!!

I started out not completely bone stock, but just o2's pulled, D&D exhaust and Lloydz filter.

Pre Work: 80.98 HP / 100.75 Lb Ft Torque
Post Work: 101.35 HP / 109.79 Lb Ft Torque

And now, with the only difference being the PCV:

119.5 HP / 127 Ft Lbs Torque

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
WOW look at those numbers!!! That's got to be a blast to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
How much of those different numbers should be attributed to the difference of the dynos? I know the dyno in some shops give very optimistic readings and some return very conservative numbers.

Not sure how a PCV can add 18hp and 18ft/.bs of torque. Smooth out the power delivery, you bet, all day long. Maybe resulting in a +2 gain. But add 18hp and 18ft.lbs/torque, I don't think so.

The end result is you seem to have a very well running motorcycle which is the best end result possible. Congratulations for that!

·
Registered
107 Posts
From what I've read on this forum Rylan's dyno seems to be more conservative than some of the others.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
How much of those different numbers should be attributed to the difference of the dynos? I know the dyno in some shops give very optimistic readings and some return very conservative numbers.
Bingo.

Not sure how a PCV can add 18hp and 18ft/.bs of torque. Smooth out the power delivery, you bet, all day long. Maybe resulting in a +2 gain. But add 18hp and 18ft.lbs/torque, I don't think so.
Again, Bingo, but the A/F ratio is a lot more consistent.

Unless the before/after was done on the same dyno...
The best comparison would be same dyno/same day, but that is not always possible with engine builds that take time. You'll have to settle for same dyno/same correction factor. As long as the temp is between 65 and 90 degrees it'll be accurate enough.

My last tune gained me 4 HP. Nothing changed as far as components, just the difference between the tune Lloyd put on it and the tune Kyle put on it. SAME DYNO.
122 HP and 38 mpg
vs
126 HP and 45 mpg
That tune paid for itself in fuel saving alone.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Bingo.

Again, Bingo, but the A/F ratio is a lot more consistent.

Unless the before/after was done on the same dyno...
The best comparison would be same dyno/same day, but that is not always possible with engine builds that take time. You'll have to settle for same dyno/same correction factor. As long as the temp is between 65 and 90 degrees it'll be accurate enough.

My last tune gained me 4 HP. Nothing changed as far as components, just the difference between the tune Lloyd put on it and the tune Kyle put on it. SAME DYNO.
122 HP and 38 mpg
vs
126 HP and 45 mpg
That tune paid for itself in fuel saving alone.
Good morning sir, I have to ask, what was done differently in the new tune that gave you such a dramatic difference with out changing a single component? That's an impressive find of 4 hp and the fuel savings ? wow!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Good morning sir, I have to ask, what was done differently in the new tune that gave you such a dramatic difference with out changing a single component? That's an impressive find of 4 hp and the fuel savings ? wow!
Good morning. The quick easy answer is it was RICH AS ****. The drivability is much improved as well. The bike is not nearly as 'abrupt' on and off the throttle and will actually go slow in 1st gear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
now what you need to do is upload the map from your PC-V to your computer and share it with others to try in their machines.

Looks like a good tune. Looks like it may be a solid runner.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Good morning. The quick easy answer is it was RICH AS ****. The drivability is much improved as well. The bike is not nearly as 'abrupt' on and off the throttle and will actually go slow in 1st gear.
Although I am certainly happy with my bikes performance and Kyle's tune my bike seems to have the same behavior as yours did. I have low speed abrupt throttle for sure but cant say it's rich. I guess only another Dyno session will tell other than pulling the plugs.

What made you decide to re-tune? Did your bike just start to show signs of loosing its tune or did it run like this always from the last tune. You got me wondering HC .

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One difference may very well be attributed to the the fact it was very humid when Rylan did the initial dyno.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
What made you decide to re-tune? Did your bike just start to show signs of loosing its tune or did it run like this always from the last tune. You got me wondering HC .
When the stroker crank went in it Lloyd tuned it. Now, this bike ALWAYS got 46-47 MPG... always... and when it was a 104" making 120/130 it wasn't abrupt or high strung.

After the stroker went in it, it was hard to ride... I attributed this to the new cams and the stroker crank. The throttle was like a switch... on/off... Then I started to get pissed about the poor mileage. The reason it's important is my 4.5 gallon fuel tank. At 36-38 mpg the range is terribly limited. I was getting a low fuel light at 135 miles, when I was used to going 175. Guys riding behind me were smelling unburned fuel.

Joe needed a tune in the worst way, so I went with him to see if fine tuning would help my issues. I got the tune and the 1/4 turn throttle and the ride home was very telling. 46 MPG and we got stuck in traffic and I was doing a steady 10-15 mph in 1st with the clutch out... which would have been impossible that morning.

Compared to stock, the bike is still pretty abrupt... that is to be expected when you're making lots of torque at low rpm with a pair of 900cc cylinders, but it's nothing like it was at its worst.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
1/4 throttle

half-crazy how is the 1/4 throttle? Does it really ownly turn 1/4 to WOT or is it just slightly less throttle turn to WOT. I have never used one and am thinking of getting one. I do not want it to literally be 1/4 turn to WOT , it seems that would make throttle responce to quick to ride normally. Where did you purchase it from? Also does anybody know if the cruise control works ok with the 1/4 thottle?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
half-crazy how is the 1/4 throttle? Does it really only turn 1/4 to WOT or is it just slightly less throttle turn to WOT? I do not want it to literally be 1/4 turn to WOT, it seems that would make throttle response too quick to ride normally.
No... it doesn't make the throttle too quick. It makes the twist distance of the throttle match the human wrist's rotation, that's all. Nothing to be frightened of. Cruise control should not change either.

Where to get one? Gosh, let me look....
http://buywitchdoctors.com/p/1816/victory-motorcycle-parts-performance-quarter-turn-throttle-ring-rubber-grips-sc-570/
http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000124
http://www.conquestcustoms.com/lloydzquarter-turnthrottlering.aspx
http://www.noemtz.com/ignition.htm

Install video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJwhR4XNKvw

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
When the stroker crank went in it Lloyd tuned it. Now, this bike ALWAYS got 46-47 MPG... always... and when it was a 104" making 120/130 it wasn't abrupt or high strung.

After the stroker went in it, it was hard to ride... I attributed this to the new cams and the stroker crank. The throttle was like a switch... on/off... Then I started to get pissed about the poor mileage. The reason it's important is my 4.5 gallon fuel tank. At 36-38 mpg the range is terribly limited. I was getting a low fuel light at 135 miles, when I was used to going 175. Guys riding behind me were smelling unburned fuel.

Joe needed a tune in the worst way, so I went with him to see if fine tuning would help my issues. I got the tune and the 1/4 turn throttle and the ride home was very telling. 46 MPG and we got stuck in traffic and I was doing a steady 10-15 mph in 1st with the clutch out... which would have been impossible that morning.

Compared to stock, the bike is still pretty abrupt... that is to be expected when you're making lots of torque at low rpm with a pair of 900cc cylinders, but it's nothing like it was at its worst.
Thanks HC. I understand now. Sounds like you have a fun bike to ride again. My issue is more being in the right gear at slow speed although I don't recall ever worrying about it before the cams and tune. Either way its a trade off I can live with.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I don't recall ever worrying about it before the cams and tune. Either way its a trade off I can live with.
I'll tell ya what I do, and I know Kyle rides his the same way:
Keep the tach above 2200 rpm. Let it spin some. Stay out of 6th until after 65 mph. Going slow thru a parking lot? If it's herky-jerky in 2nd, leave that sumbitch in 1st and let it spin. You can't shift until like 2750 or it'll be below 2200 after the shift.

Two things will happen:
It will be way smoother and less abrupt.
Your fuel mileage will go up.

I can hear the other guys shift up... nope, not yet...
When someone else rides my bike I ALWAYS tell them "When you're thinking of shifting up... don't... let it spin".

Here... this is cute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2FsmAELFq4

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice of you all to hijack my thread...........

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thanks

Thanks HC for the good info. Going to get it coming.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Sorry about that Toejam. Was curious about that throttle. Also great readings on that dyno.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Half Crazy why all the ups and down on the print out
Smoothing is set to 5 (maximum smoothing). The other graph is in 250 rpm increments so it naturally looks smoother, and that dyno smoothes more too (obviously).

Could be RF interference, but it's probably just the way the power is read on that machine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts