Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nolan N103 was made in 09 so it's now at the five year mark the recommended replacement time. The helmet has never been dropped and is in pretty much perfect condition. Do you really believe in the five year rule? Do you think it's the helmet makers that decided you need to buy a new one every five? My liner is very worn so now is the time to either replace the liner or the helmet. I don't want to replace a perfectly good helmet is it's not necessary.

·
Registered
103 Posts
my helmet is 7 years old and still in good shape. Wasn't planning on replacing it any time soon. Guess it would be up to the rider to decide depending on the condition

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
784 Posts
Mine are replaced every 3-31/2 years. I ride a lot and sweat a LOT too. Over time retention straps fray and weaken, EPS (the styrofoam stuff) degrades with hair products, sweat, fumes, et al, rivets and anchors rust.

Do they HAVE to be replaced? Probably not as an absolute but all the things have to be considered and I feel like I get more than my money's worth. This is an oil, tire, octane, type question in most forums.

My noggin is worth it and keeping it inside the dates gives me a warm fuzzy feeling it will be there for me if ever put to the use it was intended.

YMMV

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good points everyone. I ride year around and that includes the sweet AZ 115+ summer to 30 degrees winter. I wash the liner every two weeks so I can stand myself inside the helmet. I tried on a Nolan N104 tonight and they are really nice so much more than my old N103.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet (please no gun debates while buying a helmet :D ) and get a new N104.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good points everyone. I ride year around and that includes the sweet AZ 115+ summer to 30 degrees winter. I wash the liner every two weeks so I can stand myself inside the helmet. I tried on a Nolan N104 tonight and they are really nice so much more than my old N103.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet (please no gun debates while buying a helmet :D ) and get a new N104.
Sounds like a great excuse to get a new helmet to me. Do you really need one.....probably not. Do you want a new one now that you've seen what you could have....sure sounds like it to me!

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a great excuse to get a new helmet to me. Do you really need one.....probably not. Do you want a new one now that you've seen what you could have....sure sounds like it to me!
Well uhh......sort of......well :D

The greater visibility and airflow are both big selling points.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I replace mine after 7 years, unless it is damaged then it is sooner. It would be interesting to see how a five or seven year old helmet holds up to the standards from which they were made to exceed.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I replace mine after 7 years, unless it is damaged then it is sooner. It would be interesting to see how a five or seven year old helmet holds up to the standards from which they were made to exceed.
You think some bike magazine would have done that by now, but if they did I missed it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If helmets really had to be replaced within a certain time, manufacturers would place "use by" or "best before" dates on them.
From a suppliers view there are commercial benefits to a use by date.
A use by date is a great marketing tool as it creates future orders. My helmet has expired! Better get a new one!!
And a use by date avoids any potential litigation issues with older gear.
However no helmet manufacturer, to my knowledge, provides a use by date with their helmets.

Therefore it follows that "use by" dates for helmets are entirely up to the user.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
plastic lasts a good loooong time. So, the shell should have no safety issues unless damaged. The inside could breakdown over time, but I suspect the interior liner deteriorating is the only real item that will wear within a few years.
I ordered a new shield a couple years ago for my Nolan n102. They sent me the part, but suggested I replace the helmet due to age. It was about 4 years old then. They were nice enough to send a link to their new helmet too. Lol

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If helmets really had to be replaced within a certain time, manufacturers would place "use by" or "best before" dates on them.
A use by date is a great marketing tool as it creates future orders. My helmet has expired! Better get a new one!!
However no helmet manufacturer, to my knowledge, provides a use by date with their helmets.

Therefore it follows that "use by" dates for helmets are entirely up to the user.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
They do have a production date.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Have a Shoei TZ-R Fullface only use when it's Cold which is not often in North FL is 4 Years Old and Still Looks Brand New inside and out.. Might replace it after 7-8 years and even then will probably be just fine ..

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

There is no one that forces you to change your tires either, but you may find riding around on several year old tires with good tread can be a dicey situation if you're the type to push them.

I am sure that a helmet's materials degrade slowly over time and exposure to things like UV, petrol fumes, sweaty heads etc. I am also sure that they don't expire like milk where the go from perfectly good to disgusting overnight. But oil is much the same. People could save money buying conventional oil which degrades somewhat faster than sythetic, but many fear harm to their engine by doing it. Most will never ride their bike enough for it to ever matter if it was a problem and Consumer Reports did an article that shows that even exceeding the recommendations of conventional life isn't a problem. Still, using sythentic provides many piece of mind.

Now how does it make sense for someone to overspend and worry over their engine so and not give the same consideration to the bucket protecting their gord? The engine is replaceable, your gray matter no so much...

·
Registered
454 Posts
You think some bike magazine would have done that by now, but if they did I missed it.
I missed too if such a study has ever been done, BUT I would rather ERR on the side of caution when it come to protecting my "GREY MATTER", although 5 years seems a bit short in my book, which is why I try for 7. I have friends that still sport helmets from the 70s and 80s, but it is their brain so who am I to tell them any different?

·
Registered
784 Posts
From the SNELL foundation web site, if interested. Oh BTW, the DON'T sell helmets.
Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy

More if you would like here. http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#top

As for the "expiration date" question, well that might open the door to lots of things. If you are in a mandatory helmet state, they could possibly hit you for riding with an expired lid. They could mandate they be replaced. They could come up with plenty more that haven't been thought of. As is, you have the choice and information, so let's not open that can of worms. LOL

Cheers

1 - 20 of 49 Posts