Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I have been looking to upgrade the exhaust on my new XC. It's looking like it's going to be between the Witchdoctor's Voodoo series, the Ness Big Honkers, or the V&H slip-ons.

I like loud pipes. I have a Honda Magna with 8-disk SuperTrapps, so my neighbors have been conditioned to me coming and going on my bikes.

My one concern: exhaust drone. I have been trying to find a concise article that addresses this, but I can't seem to find any specifically on it. There are plenty that mention it... but no ideas on how to fix/avoid it.

Of the three, does anyone have any experience on exhaust drone? And if so, how did you deal with it?

Since this is a bike set up for long hauls, I don't want to have an exhaust that ruins it for either me or my passenger.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would recommend Miller Mufflers, I love mine (quiet baffle) and got decent numbers on the dyno (96.5 HP), as for the drone, Lloyds extended the pipe tips towards the back of my VicBagger tips, drone gone. Bike sounds great and runs great. I originally had the long baffles and they were a bit too loud for me.
Good luck on which ever you choose.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have the Miller long baffles , sounds tough and no drone . My bike makes 98.5 HP . Miller Mufflers are the best mufflers for the money you will ever get . By the way , I coined the phrase "Miller Mufflers" , Although Drew doesn't give me any kick-backs but he does treat me like gold with service and other projects . thumb up

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
After 10 minutes of Google i finally found a word i understood instead of "drone"

We just call it "resonance"

Never noticed it on my vic ... I think my exhaust is too loud .

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I run Miller Mufflers also and have nothing but great things to say about them. Done many miles with them and can't complain about any"droning".
Unfortunately I'll be replacing them in he spring because I have overheating catalytic converters that absolutely cooked me last season, I need a full cat-less system. I'm going with the Freedom True Duels and only hope it'll sound as good and give the same performance.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Thanks for the info! I have messaged Mr. Miller, and will look forward to a response!
You won't be sorry.... If my bike was on the road I'd use this as an excuse to ride up there and let you have a first hand listen.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey there,

I have been looking to upgrade the exhaust on my new XC. It's looking like it's going to be between the Witchdoctor's Voodoo series, the Ness Big Honkers, or the V&H slip-ons.

I like loud pipes. I have a Honda Magna with 8-disk SuperTrapps, so my neighbors have been conditioned to me coming and going on my bikes.

My one concern: exhaust drone. I have been trying to find a concise article that addresses this, but I can't seem to find any specifically on it. There are plenty that mention it... but no ideas on how to fix/avoid it.

Of the three, does anyone have any experience on exhaust drone? And if so, how did you deal with it?

Since this is a bike set up for long hauls, I don't want to have an exhaust that ruins it for either me or my passenger.

Any suggestions?
I love the fit and finish of my V&H HI-OUTPUT slip - ons. Just installed them about 2 weeks ago. Beautiful quality and "sweeeet" sound. They "bark" when you roll the throttle, and they sound nice and deep at idle. Another plus was you don't have to mess with cutting off your OEM heat shields! Good luck with your choices and ride safe brother . Oh- and I don't experience any resonance at all....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
You won't be sorry.... If my bike was on the road I'd use this as an excuse to ride up there and let you have a first hand listen.
I would accompany you also . Then he could hear the short baffles and the long baffles .

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
After listening to the videos I kinda wish I had gotten the quiet baffle Miller Mufflers instead of doing the Thrush mod. Maybe later.

Pain; if you are going to get a new exhaust system anyway (good choice by the way), maybe the OP would buy yours.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
After listening to the videos I kinda wish I had gotten the quiet baffle Miller Mufflers instead of doing the Thrush mod. Maybe later.

Pain; if you are going to get a new exhaust system anyway (good choice by the way), maybe the OP would buy yours.
The offer is out there.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
There's also the issue of standing waves. The resonance of the inner pipe/baffle can be addressed by adding some mass to the pipe/baffle. Same for the body of the muffler but not quite as effective.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
....or you could make your own look at my sig line.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey there,

Any suggestions?

I am very happy with my short baffle Miller mufflers. I wanted to hear them in person before buying but, I couldn't wait. I WAS NOT disappointed. These mufflers are just what I was looking for. I wear a full face helmet and no drone issues. Love the sound of those Miller shorties for sure. I really need to mount the GoPro on the bike, go for a ride and post the vid. However, most videos that I have seen don't do them justice.

I could ride all day with no problems....if anything, I could handle them being a bit louder. :devil I have noticed that when riding down the highway, people tend to back off more than before. Even in close traffic people give me more space.... specifically the ones behind me...coincidence?...maybe. I DO know that when I crack my throttle at someone not paying attention in traffic, they DO hear me! I'm too embarrassed to use my horn.... but that is a whole different topic...

Whatever you choose, let us know!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately I'll be replacing them in he spring because I have overheating catalytic converters that absolutely cooked me last season, I need a full cat-less system. I'm going with the Freedom True Duels and only hope it'll sound as good and give the same performance.
It may be naive question but here goes....what's causing the overheating catalytic converters? I know the XC's put off a lot of heat but I'm able to manage it by changing air circulation. Is there something that's removed to install the "Miller Mufflers" that cause excessive cat heating?

·
Registered
31 Posts
... Is there something that's removed to install the "Miller Mufflers" that cause excessive cat heating?
Nope. The Millers install the same as your stock mufflers. Take the originals off and slip the Millers on. Same muffler body, just different baffle setup.

Nothing is removed... other than your stock mufflers. :wink

1 - 20 of 22 Posts