Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Design element tested was the addition of integrated driving lights. These are a simple design and unpainted. Lights are mounted on back of deflectors. Racked up 16 hours of riding to Mardi Gras and back. Conditions included dry night and day, light rain night and day, heavy rain night, and brief night fog. Driver behavior appeared to indicate improved recognition vs typical for me (suede titanium XC). Setup adheres to Alabama motorcycle lighting laws.

Consider the concept of integrated driving light testing as passed. Here are some pics.

1 hr 10 min before sunset, 45 degree view, with high beam:

1hr 10 min before sunset, front view, with high beam:

Night, up close, with high beam:

Night with high beam 2x distance:

Night, almost 90 degree view, with high beam:

Lights off:

Side/Rear view:

Rear View:

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
@Diamond Jim Yet again, you blow me away with your designs and concepts. thumb up
Obviously these greatly increase the bike's visibility to others....You didn't mention anything about the rider's night view with the extra lighting or since you did call these a "fork deflector"...any changes to buffeting, steering or handing. thx

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Very creative, very classy.

On-coming drivers still able to see your turn signals?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
As Boss Nass would say:

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Around Nov 2015 my philosophy for solving my XC buffeting issues evolved from the traditional thought of more vertical surface area at the forks to deflect airflow to less, decreasing drag, then affecting pressure more horizontally, or with the flow, in key spots to control the eye jiggling. The center fork deflector, tank wings, and my preference for mid-size fork deflectors are some results of this philosophy. The XC fairing is quite different, aerodynamically, than any other fairing, ever. It's a blessing and a curse. It's awesome in that it focuses the airflow energy to a narrower region vs other fairings, making the upper half more aerodynamically efficient. The trade-off, though, is that this energy is focused at the bottom and generates significantly more helmet buffeting vs other fairings. A ton of research must have went into the hard lowers to help remedy this effect.

Been designing the fork deflectors for about a year. Work on it when I get time. Here are some of the other designs I've played with.

One deflector project was to see if the side-effects of fork deflectors could be minimized. Fork deflectors typically generate about as much turbulence as they do buffeting improvement. The key has been to get as much of that turbulence past the bubble of air the rider sits in. That deflector project resulted what I call the Pressure Pocket deflectors. There are currently 3 sets of these in beta testing since early November. Here's pics of two of them.

They reduce top-edge turbulence by reducing pressure before it reaches the top. Diverts some pressure downward, some outward, remainder flows across the top edge. As air molecules compress in the Pocket, they begin to build a pressure ramp for top flow. Sort of using pressure for benefit. Faster you go the better they work. Now, this is about 80% confirmed, remaining 20% theory and a little educated guessing. If you're thinking this is simply overkill for fork deflectors, I certainly won't disagree.

I do like how they perform and the knowledge gained in the R&D of these is priceless.

Here's an example of how most of these designs install. This vid is from when I was experimenting with a single elevator bolt for retention. Design has since evolved. The ones with the lights and tested during the Mardi Gras trip, are like most past designs in that they use no mounting hardware. Excuse the vid quality. It's a compressed snippet of a previously compressed video---- https://youtu.be/vqAF2SFyPoU

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Very creative, very classy.

On-coming drivers still able to see your turn signals?
They are cool but this is a big deal right here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are cool but this is a big deal right here.
It's very possible that in low to no ambient light conditions the deflectors wash out the turns. Placement position, angle change or even a hood may remedy this. Ultimately, having the deflectors function as turns signals would be the most effective for any lighting condition. Have similar lights with integrated turn that arrived when I was on my trip. Will evaluate them.

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
It's very possible that in low to no ambient light conditions the deflectors wash out the turns. Placement position, angle change or even a hood may remedy this. Ultimately, having the deflectors function as turns signals would be the most effective for any lighting condition. Have similar lights with integrated turn that arrived when I was on my trip. Will evaluate them.
Having them also function as a turn signal it a great idea.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Incorporating a powered trailer lighting converter could make using the lights as turn signals possible initially for testing purposes.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
When do I get to be one of your test dummies????

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

·
Registered
36 Posts
These look awesome. Any reason they wouldn't work with a Crossroads?

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Wow, another A paper Diamond Jim!

Have you done much testing with JTD lower inserts with the Victory forged bars?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, another A paper Diamond Jim!

Have you done much testing with JTD lower inserts with the Victory forged bars?
No, closest thing is another rider sent me his newly acquired Victory hard closeouts for round bars. Will be using those, or rather the method of producing closeouts of similar dimensions and thickness, as one of the specs for the next thermoforming machine purchase. Prolly around 5-7 grand. So we are laying the groundwork. Best I've got so far.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you need a test mule with an XCT let me know. i ride pretty much daily, and im in MS, so that should cut down on shipping. Give me something else to buy from you, lol. im still waiting till i can get the brake res covers (front and rear), bushings, and I've been eyeballing the front deflector setup. you need to just do a bundle deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts