Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 XC and recently order a new front tire on line. So I called my Victory Dealer up here in the Great White North who I have always dealt with. I wanted to know how much it would cost to put the new front tire on.

They said $150. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! I almost dropped my phone.

·
Registered
234 Posts
if that's just to install...holy holy that's ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If that included the tire, that's a steal. If not, it's still a steal...but a steal from you, not for you. Man...that's like 2 hours labor most places. I just don't believe that. My dealer only charges 1 hours for a new tire installed on the bike...for a rear wheel!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am from the Kingston area, bought a front tire from Canada's Motorcycle. Unique Cycle a small bike shop installed and balanced my tire for 35 dollars including tax. He said he would match the online price if I bought from him next time which I will.cheers

·
Registered
611 Posts
I am from the Kingston area, bought a front tire from Canada's Motorcycle. Unique Cycle a small bike shop installed and balanced my tire for 35 dollars including tax. He said he would match the online price if I bought from him next time which I will.cheers
Depends on the bike but most places will charge 20-40/tire if you bring them the wheels off the bike and 40-80 if you bring them the bike. MOST places will also either include mounting/balancing or at least discount it 50%+ if you buy the tire from them as they know most people would rather buy online these days. It's still a ways before I can do it but I have every intention of buying my own tire machine in the next year or two. A fully pnuematic setup can be had for about a grand or so delivered. It's not a top tier product by any means but for a DIY'r that's only changing tires a couple times a year it's good enough and beats paying someone else to scratch my wheels.

Edit: Here's the one - http://www.derekweaver.com/bikers-garage/motorcycle-tire-changers/weaver-w-m807x-motorcycle-atv-tire-changer/ $995 includes free shipping

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tires

I also get my tires from Canada's Motorcycles and none of the dealers can come close to their price. I have a friend I ride with that has a tire changer and balancer that do my tires that saves me a few bucks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had previously replaced my back tire at the dealer which included new pads, 650 dollars, ouch, won't do that again. It would of been nice if they were able to at least adjust the belt correctly so it did not chirp. I guess I will have to do that myself.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
I have a 2011 XC and recently order a new front tire on line. So I called my Victory Dealer up here in the Great White North who I have always dealt with. I wanted to know how much it would cost to put the new front tire on.

They said $150. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! I almost dropped my phone.
my front Pirelli Night Dragon 90/90/21 was $150 fitted and balanced ride in ride out at Gold Coast M/C Tyres.
the rear 180/55/18 Night Dragon $320 fitted and balanced ride in ride out, done in half hour tops and no disturbance of the belt drive at all, so no need to adjust.
I think I got a good deal.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
If you have a lift and know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can remove the wheel yourself and take it to an independent shop that charges way less. The only "special" tool you'll need is a 5/8" (16mm) allen socket to stick into the right side of the axle shaft.
I'm 77 years old and recently did a two wheel tire change. Are you gonna let this old fart show you up? Huh kid?

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
If you have a lift and know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can remove the wheel yourself and take it to an independent shop that charges way less. The only "special" tool you'll need is a 5/8" (16mm) allen socket to stick into the right side of the axle shaft.
I'm 77 years old and recently did a two wheel tire change. Are you gonna let this old fart show you up? Huh kid?
at the prices I pay 'ride in ride out' I wouldn't bother getting my hands dirty

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
at the prices I pay 'ride in ride out' I wouldn't bother getting my hands dirty
I can't disagree with you on that MB. My go to shop is reasonable too, but not all that familiar with Victorys. Add to that, its kinda crowded and busy, but would attend to my bike full time once I arrived with it. So I could stand by and ride home on new tires the same day.
However, I decided to remove/replace the wheels myself because I wanted to get familiarized with the operation in case I'm on the road and something happens that requires wheel removal and I can coach a mechanic not familiar with the procedure.
Besides that, I like saving money, I have the time and I love spinning wrenches.cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i change all my own tires, im cheap labor, and with both my tires currently neither are balanced and runs smooth!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's why I bought my own tire changer.
No Mar Jr. Pro, cost a bit now, but will easily pay for itself in the long run.
Plus, for $25/wheel I'll mount and balance tires for other riders in the area, also helping to offset the cost.

Local tire shop here is $30 front and $40 rear, and they won't/can't balance them.
None of the ATV shops sell motorcycles, so they won't touch them.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I picked up a tire changer with the motorcycle adapter at Harbor Freight, a mojolever and a wheel balancer from Marc Parnes. I order my tires online and do the work myself in the garage while it is raining out. If you want to balance it easier, then throw in some dynabeads, or better yet, use Ride-On that will balance and seal if you get a puncture. There is so many options out there to be able to do it yourself without having to wait and pay someone to do it for you.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
My local dealer of choice, Randy's Cycle, charges $48 per wheel to mount a new tire. That's for removing the wheel (either one), removing the old tire, mounting the new tire, balancing and re-mounting the wheel. For $48 a piece, it's a no brainer to use Randy's Cycle. They also do great on tire prices.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe I should ride out to Kingston and get him to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts