Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post up and say Hi to all.
Getting my new Vic on Friday so I thought I'd go ahead and join up so I can some info for the new scoot.

Name is Greg and I'm from Central California just a few miles north of Visalia(Gateway to Sequoia-Kings Canyon national parks)

Been riding for over 30 years now and this is like bike number 20 somthing. Lost count sorry. I've owned so many different bikes of all shapes and sizes and power ratings from a 125 Yamaha Enduro to a Goldwing and everything inbetween.

Just sold my last scoot which was a very highly customized 2002 Honda VTX 1800C, had her stripped down to the frame and I custom painted her and did just about everything you can to one. Still a member of the VTX sites since you always make lifetime friends on these forums. Plan on doing the same here.

Anywho, will be picking up my new scoot this coming Friday morning. A 2012 Cross Country with only 1200 miles, custom painted from the dealer by the same guy who paints for Arlen Ness. The dealer added over $6K of extras and the guy I'm buying it from added another $3500 in goodies. Most of all I do love and would do myself. I will however be doing away with the Corbin seat. They have never been good to me or my butt.

I've had a lot of exposure to Victory's including my best friends Vision that I've been riding for the last 4 1/2 months. I have about 4k in the saddle of her and shes a great ride. Has 72k on her and is an 08 Vision Tour Premium. I do all his maintenance which hasn't been much. Just put her first clutch in her at 70k. Much easier to do than the VTX was.

My last scoot was a bit of a monster with not any internal engine work done but did have intake, fuel controler and pipes. Got her to dynod with some hefty numbers, so I will be looking forward to doing some fun hp mods without going crazy with her. This bike already has the pipes, intake and fuel controler in it. Looking to add the cams and certainly the timing wheel. Not looking to make a monster out of her, but do like a bit more torque outta her.

Well I will post up some pics of her after I get her home and get her settled into her new home.

Looking forward to new friends and getting great info on the scoot. I do recognize a few members from a couple other forums from different bikes so I know there are some good people here already.

Take care and keep the rubber down.
Greg

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Welcome to Victory !cheers

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Yup I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning right now.
Doubt I'll get much sleep. But we have a 3 hr trip up to get her and it'll probably be more like 2 hrs back.:ride:

I do not look forward to riding on the Corbin Gunfighter seat coming home. Have had issues with sciatica and those tow definitely do not agree on things. Have had amazing luck with Ultimate seats on my VTX 1800's("R" and "C" models)

Wish the one from my old scoot was already the one for the new Vic. She is already broke in perfect and has the drivers backrest. I've done 1100 miles in a day on that seat with no issues. Last Corbin I had I couldn't even ride it 100 miles until I had to get off of it.

I will post up some pics as soon as I get some of my own and learn just how to do it here. I've done pic posting on other sites so should be similar.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
A few miles north of Visalia--would that be Kingsburg or Selma? Welcome to the clan, we'll treat you well here. After all, we are all gentlemen and ladies here. Aren't we fellas? Well, aren't we?
With only 1200 miles on it, you have about 2,000 more to go 'til its thoroghly broken in, but don't worry about having to baby it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few miles north of Visalia--would that be Kingsburg or Selma? Welcome to the clan, we'll treat you well here. After all, we are all gentlemen and ladies here. Aren't we fellas? Well, aren't we?
With only 1200 miles on it, you have about 2,000 more to go 'til its thoroghly broken in, but don't worry about having to baby it.

You are very close, but actually I'm in Dinuba which is about 13-14 miles due north of Visalia and 13 due east of Selma. Our main road in from Hwy 99 is called Mountain View. That's because we have the most beautiful backdrop of Mount Whitney which is the highest point in the lower 48. So to say we have some great riding around here is a huge understatement.

Yeah I won't have any problems breaking this girl in. The original owner still owns a Victory which is a Vegas 8 Ball. Before he bought this XC he owned a Hammer. He told me what led him to buy it was after driving down the highway in his Vette, he was passed on the right buy a new Cross Country and was in awe of its beauty. He just had to buy one.

He went in to his local dealer which is the one that Arlen Ness uses, and he seen this beauty sitting there all dolled up with over $6k of sweetness added to her. Said they were originally asking $34k for her. It was painted by one of Arlen Ness' painters for the gorgeous flame job over an all black scoot. They added chrome wheels,drive pulley, Pull back bars, Arlen Ness mirrors, upgraded stereo and much much more.
Gosh I need to stop this I'm starting to drool just thinking of her.
But he tells me that this bike draws a crowd when he rides it and parks it at events or just in general wherever he goes.

As far as break in, the guy has owned many bikes and he still rides. The Vegas was originally purchased for his daughter who has also ridden her own bikes for many years. The Vegas was just a little to big for her still. She's a smaller woman so he ended up finding a newer model Sportster 1200 that had been chopped and bobbed and even lowered more so that it fits her perfectly. So he knows how to properly break in an engine.

Said he removed the original breakin oil at 350 miles. He did much more different types of riding and then changed it a second time at 800 miles. He also stated that he just changed it so that the new owner wouldn't need to do any type of maintenance for quite some time.
Even though she is a 2012 model, she wasn't even sold until late September. They wanted to mover her out due to the 13's that were in and continuing to come in. Apparently they do a few of the bikes up very custom and keep them on display to show customers what they can do in house.
Sounds like a dealer I need to go check out. I have a fellow VTX-Rider friend who lives there and he visits that dealer all the time. He now too rides a Vic Cross Country. Kinda funny because many of the old VTX riders are now sporting new or newer Victorys.

I have a friend of mine who sold his X last year and bought a 2011 CCT in white and silver. He's been bugging me all the time asking me if I got one yet or sending me links to ones that were for sale.
I'd bet there are at least 8 or 10 of my old diehard X-Rider friends who now ride Vics. Not all are Cross Country's because one has a Hammer and another has a Vegas Ness model. He's already got over 50k on that one now.

Looking forward to meeting some of you not only here, but on my travels across this awesome nation. I ride as much as I can and as often as I can. I ride every day to work regardless of weather too. Rode this whole week as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Greg, I envy you for your location--magnificent mountain roads and passed to your east and the coast within easy access to your west. That said, I don't envy your summer temperatures, anything above 75 has me uncomfortable. I guess I'm a true Northwesterner.
You have a command performance to make when you get that bike today...take photos and post them pronto. You have our curiosity up big time.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do, we are on the road right now about an hour and a half away.

Christmas morning is here and it's almost time to unwrap presents.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very cool!
Yeah we've eaten there quite a few times. It's also a very nice golf course. I suck at golf but have a very close friend who has played at the PGA Pro-Am a few times now. He's been itching to play here but has been dealing with health issues the past couple of years and is now recovering from a double knee replacement he just had.

On a side note and back to the scoot, what an awesome ride she is. The sound is raw and very loud. Sounds mean as hell going down the highway at speed.
I let my buddy ride her for about 45-50 miles as I followed in his truck. I took video of her while he was next to me.
The pipes as told to me by the old owner are from Witchdoctor.com and are rhe baffle less slip-ons. Not sure the details of them but I think they would probably get a little more low end torque if they had at least a little bit of baffle in them. But holy crap when this baby is going over 2500rpm she really comes alive and wants to run.

It has a Loydz intake and Loydz fuel controller. I'm not someone who is going to go aftet every single hp I can find, but I do want to get some more out of her. Definitely some cams and maybe something a little better for pipes.

Any suggestions or experience with any of this setup?

I took a couple of pics but need to now figure how to post em up. Also need some better ones in better lighting and conditions.
Not sure if I can post straight from my phone or not. I think I may have to resize them first or download into my laptop.

·
Registered
426 Posts
that paint is amazing, reminds me of the 07 Jackpot scheme. i keep saying if i ever have to get rid of my skully, im going to get a white xct and take it for a jackpot paint job. keep the shiny side up man

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the compliments guys. She's a beauty for sure. Can't take any credit for any of it except for just finding a heck of a deal.

I'm up for some rides soon, I'm just trying to finish a current project. That being my old bike that I sold to a good friend in So. Cal. He just didn't want another blue bike so he's paying me to do a full strip down to the frame and repaint every bit of her.

This is the third time that I have done that with this bike. When I got it, it was stock and all black. I 1st painted it all a firemist lime green with a ghost flame in blue. The guy who did that paint totally screwed it up and went way to thick with the blue pearl and actually changed the color of the bike in those locations. Totally bummed me out when I got it back.

That only lasted about 2 years and I couldn't stand it any more. I stripped her down and went as a base of Daytona Blue Pearl and then did flames in the Firemist Lime. I also did some airbrushing on the fenders and tank. I did an Air Force emblem over the top of the flames which gave it a 3-D appearance. I also did a POW-MIA on the tank and that too overlapped the flames giving it the same 3-D effect.
I added a batwing fairing with Sony stero with a tunetray for an I-Phone or I-Pod inside or a USB drive. Also added 6x9's in the fairing. I used a set of Yamaha Roadstar hardbags and modified them for the VTX and installed a monster amp in one and an 8 " sub in the other. Had remotely controlled led's
This bike is custom from ground up. Polished every piece of aluminum on her.

So now she's being done in all gloss black. Got about half of the stuff painted now and will be painting more here in a few.

So far the paint is looking super sweet. I'll post up some pics when I get her all done.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Greg. What size is that wheel? Good looking bike man!!!
The front is the stock 18" as is the back at 16".
I think these are the Ness wheels that were offered on the Arlen Ness Visions and Cory Ness Cross Country's.

I got out there with a Mothers Power Ball and some White Diamond polish yesterday.

Also installed the stage 1 exhaust after I did a little modifications with a cuttoff wheel and grinder and a little black paint. I didn't like the looks of the little peashooter part that was the end of the pipe. It was supposed to use the stock tapered end cap which I hate the looks of. So I kept the other tips that look beefier.

Thanks for the compliments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts