Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I've been a lurker for the last couple of months, and figured it was time to get my intro out of the way.

I bought a 2012 CCT in Pearl White two months ago, and have spent that time putting about 3200 miles on it. Got a couple of trips down to the Smokies in, including one with the wife on the back. Also have a bunch of day trips in, locally.

I got a ton of extras on the bike when I bought it, including:

-Klock Werks windshield, 2" pull-back bars, reverse kit, Guard Dawg keyless system, heel/toe shifter, RPW exhaust, Lloyds VFC-III, Victory Big Mouth exhaust tips, powdercoated trunk rack, saddlebag racks, and saddlebag bars, lower fairing locks, hydraulic clutch, saddlebag and trunk bags, Victory airpump

Really didn't leave a whole lot to do to the bike. I'm not much of a chrome whore, and until the extended warranty is over, I won't be cracking the case to do the last of the Lloyd's goodness.

My riding experience is minimal - I rode maybe a total of 300 miles back in high school, and haven't been on the bike in the 20+ years since. I have wanted a bike forever, but life and responsibility got in the way of me buying an expensive toy, until now. I took the MSF course, and then dove right into a 900 pound beast as a first ride :D

My impressions of this bike boil down to one word - INCREDIBLE. I love everything about it. Around town, and by myself, I run it without the trunk on it, and when the wife wants to ride, I spend the 30 seconds to toss it back on. This thing handles like a dream.

My dealer gave me a loaner 2004 TC while my bike was having the last couple of pieces put on it, and I put maybe 80 miles on it. There is no comparison. The TC, while an awesome bike, can't even begin to hold a candle to the 8 year newer bike. Handling for such a huge bike is stupidly good.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Welcome. I also never owned nor rode a bike previously and had other toys up until recently. Bought a 2011 Ness XC in May of '11 and put 6K miles on her since then. First bike and took the MSF class. Has worked out VERY WELL for me also. With these XC's there really is no need for anyone to buy a smaller bike and then "work their way up".

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Hey Devildog,

Welcome to the forum. Really like the tank badge and the powder coated saddlebag racks.thumb up

You're right, this Victory touring machine is nimble and balanced like no other. I like removing the trunk like you, and riding a little harder without it. cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice ride that's the color I want for my next touring bike
I was going to go with the Sunset Red, but my daughter convinced me to at least look at the Pearl. As soon as I saw it in the sun, I had to get it. And, I generally hate white vehicles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome. I also never owned nor rode a bike previously and had other toys up until recently. Bought a 2011 Ness XC in May of '11 and put 6K miles on her since then. First bike and took the MSF class. Has worked out VERY WELL for me also. With these XC's there really is no need for anyone to buy a smaller bike and then "work their way up".
I like reading about other people starting off with a big cruiser. Most people say to start off with something midrange, but I'm pretty psyched to get the chance to start out on the make of bike that I wanted in the first place.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hey there devildog, nice options you put on that new ride, i have been looking at a few myself, does that heal ,toe shifter get in the way at all, looks to me that it might, and i would love to hear it, mine just to, well you know!!!! and i would like to see the trunk rack and see what it looks like, welcome to the forum cool place these guys know there stuff, me off to the gazebo for a beer cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hey there devildog, nice options you put on that new ride, i have been looking at a few myself, does that heal ,toe shifter get in the way at all, looks to me that it might, and i would love to hear it, mine just to, well you know!!!! and i would like to see the trunk rack and see what it looks like, welcome to the forum cool place these guys know there stuff, me off to the gazebo for a beer cheers
Schlep,

The shifter is out of the way for me. I wear size 10 Regular shoes/boots, and have never hit it without meaning to.

I don't have the trunk attached but ran out to the garage and got a pic of it from straight above:

I wasn't going to put the saddlebag racks on at all, but my dealer talked me into it, and I have to say they are one of the things I am happiest with. I have a 30" inseam, and they have saved me from scuffing the bags with my boots more than once. Also, after powdercoating, I think they really make the bike pop. My dealer also happens to be a longtime friend, so we talked pretty honestly for several months before I bought the bike. Some options he talked me out of, and some he got me to think about (namely the bag rails). I initially was looking at getting some black pinstriping, but after talking to him, and his lead tech, we figured it could look pretty sharp just by switching out the badges, and getting the racks and rails powdercoated. I'm not a very blingy kinda guy - not into a lot of chrome, so for me, the bike ended up perfectly; sharp, but subdued.

The only upgrade I would probably not go with again is the reverse. It works, but it is not as torque-y as I would like. It doesn't like anything remotely steep, and backing on hills was the main reason I bought it. I really love the Guard Dawg. I keep my keys on a carabiner on my belt, and the only times they come off is to lock/unlock bags, or to fuel up. The exhaust sounds fantastic. It is loud, but not too loud, and it has a nice, deep rumble to it. I'm short (5'8"), with little T-Rex arms, so the Klock Werks and the pullback bars work great for me, plus the Klock Werks really looks good on the bike, imo. After reading about all of the failures/breakages of clutch cables, I figured the $300 my dealer charged for the hydraulic clutch was well worth the peace of mind - don't notice a difference in pull, but I never have to worry about a broken cable now.

Honestly, the only addon/upgrade I am now considering is some upgraded speakers and an amp. I would also like to find a Ram ball mount for my Galaxy S2 phone for the handlebars, so I can use the navigation on it. Other than that, my bike is exactly where I want it. Until someone comes out with something else I just have to have :D

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I like reading about other people starting off with a big cruiser. Most people say to start off with something midrange, but I'm pretty psyched to get the chance to start out on the make of bike that I wanted in the first place.
In my case, I only had ONE shot. The wife works in a hospital and LITERALLY sees dead bodies arriving on a daily or weekly basis from bike accidents so I KNEW I had a single chance for what I wanted. There would be no "I'll spend X on this. Then later spend more on Y and then add on..., etc".

I had a single "hall pass" and I USED it to buy the bike I wanted which (just happened) to already have all the accessories I wanted on it (good planning) :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my case, I only had ONE shot. The wife works in a hospital and LITERALLY sees dead bodies arriving on a daily or weekly basis from bike accidents so I KNEW I had a single chance for what I wanted. There would be no "I'll spend X on this. Then later spend more on Y and then add on..., etc".

I had a single "hall pass" and I USED it to buy the bike I wanted which (just happened) to already have all the accessories I wanted on it (good planning) :D
Yeah, I'm pretty paranoid. I've worked so many crashes/fatalities that it has really made me aware of how badly things can go in just the blink of an eye. The exhaust and air horn were two must-haves for me, as I wanted to have as much noise at my disposal as possible :) The horn has already saved me from a lady merging into me.

I'm not a speed demon - for me I ride to ride, not as a means of transportation. If I want to get somewhere fast, I'll grab one of my cars. If I want to enjoy the trip, I get on the bike. Been spending far more time on the bike than in a car, lately, and this is a good thing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
man i like that trunk rack looks good!!! still not sure about shifter i got big old 14 feet i have seen them and like the idea but they just dont look like they will work for me, i do want to get a brake pedal that little bar just is to hard to find, and i will fix this sound when i find what is right for me both sound and $$, off to the gazebo for a beercheers

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. You did it up nice!

+1 on the Digital Guard Dawg keyless system. Installed mine a couple of weeks ago and really like it. It is so handy for me to just keep the FOB and key in the pocket. thumb up

·
Registered
530 Posts
Very nice ride, I'm undecided between sunset red and pearl white.

I like the white with the powder coated black rails, the new Victory badge is a nice touch.

If I get the Pearl White, I think I'd have a pro do some silver pinstriping just to highlight the form features of the faring and lightly on the fenders, bags, and trunk.

I like the Guard Dawg too, just added it to my list.

I made an excel sheet with a Vic. acc, buy item (other manf.), and a wish list columns.

It automatically totals the price of the motorcycle plus Vic. acc., taxes, discount, down payment, grand total.

I get carried away sometimes but now I have an organized list of what my initial cost will be as well as my upgrades and wish list.

If anyone wishes, feel free to use list and/or give me any feed back or input.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts