Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am looking at getting a 2000 V92C so I joined up for recommendations. The bike I am looking at is nice but does have the third gear problem.

I have looked at eBay for a replacement engine/transmission. Not exactly cheap. I am not sure how difficult the swap is since I am a BMW guy and have not worked on a domestic bike since 65.

How hard is the swap, what fits and should I pull the trigger?

·
Registered
374 Posts
That the one the guy was selling for $1k ?
Following this now.
I was tempted to buy just to try doing a swap for fun and a nice bike cheap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably. I am just getting old and think a cruiser might be fun. But being a disabled vet I have to watch my pennies. I would have to save for several months to buy the parts. If it was a BMW I would know the hidden costs involved. Suck not being rich sometimes but the good thing is I never owe taxes :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you go with it I'm interested to hear the adventure
I'm sure some of the guys on here have some info to help you out

·
Registered
374 Posts
It sure can be

Where you at ?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
@tycham Here's two vids you'll want to watch:

Reactions: MaddogUSMC

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Personally I'd not even consider buying the bike because I like to ride. If something happened to my bike I'd fix it but I certainly wouldn't buy one with major problems from the outset. If I was an experienced bike mechanic and interested in doing that kind of work in my spare time I'd consider it but that's why I'd be looking at it in the first place. Basically, each of us is different and have different situations.

You're a disabled vet (you don't say if that would effect any of your wrenching capabilities), that hasn't worked on Vic's before (you don't say to what level you work on your bmw) with limited funds (you won't be riding it for at least a year).

It depends what you want but for me that bike would be a long term hobby of frustration and a money pit. Remember, no new parts. I'd sooner take the money I'd expect to spend getting bike in shape over the next couple of years and put it towards a bike I can ride now.

If this is what you want though then I say go for it. There are used parts kicking around on the internet (reliable?) and some degree of help here on the forum although I don't believe to the level you're going to need. With those understandings and that's what you want then good luck and have fun doing it. Oh, and keep us updated with lots of pictures.

·
13,235 Posts
Buy a early Vic with a bad 3rd gear only means used motor for 2 Grand
now your going to have a moth of headache installing it and getting it running. Before you know it you'll spend another 5 hundred on misalliances stuff.
I think you would be smarter to pass on the bike

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the trans parts, for the most part are no longer available, us here at the shop are looking for parts ourselves to get one back on the road as the shop beater bike.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
buying an 06 or 07 would prolly be a lot better option, 07 is the last open loop system + 100" makes great power! i watched the vid on early 92's + found it interesting + surely a buyer beware IMO!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts