Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I'm a noob in the purest since of the word. Haven't ridden motorcycles of any sort(dirtbikes back then) since I was about 12. Recently started taking an interest in learning to ride and purchasing my first motorcycle. Oringially was leaning towards a Harley and then discovered victory 8 ball via the recommendation from another site. It's been all consuming since then. Amazing machines. So my question to the good people of the forum is, do you think a used 8 ball is too much for a first bike? Also buying used what is a good price? Thanks and hello.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
As far as price goes a good price is what you think. Use ebay as a source of price point.

I personally don't believe in the idea of getting a "learner" bike. I think you will out grow it in weeks to a few months. Now you have to try and sell it and you will loose good money that you could have put on the 8Ball.

Buy the bike you want and learn on it. Thats what I did with my Jackpot and have no regrets.

BTW...I probably had less time riding before purchasing than you did.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Hello to all. I'm a noob in the purest since of the word. Haven't ridden motorcycles of any sort(dirtbikes back then) since I was about 12. Recently started taking an interest in learning to ride and purchasing my first motorcycle. Oringially was leaning towards a Harley and then discovered victory 8 ball via the recommendation from another site. It's been all consuming since then. Amazing machines. So my question to the good people of the forum is, do you think a used 8 ball is too much for a first bike? Also buying used what is a good price? Thanks and hello.
Why would a well balanced, reliable machine be too much for a first bike? If you want to start your riding experience on a lesser machine, that's fine, but don't expect that to be an advantage in the long run.

Make sure you get your license before you purchase a bike, and go the MSF course route instead of the DMV. Well worth the $250-300 they charge for the class.

For pricing range, see KBB or NADA guides.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome

Greetings, and welcome to the community!

To be honest, in my experience, whether a smaller bike is needed at the outset, or simply going with the bike you really would wish to ride, all depends upon the new rider and their natural ability. I've had friends over the years who began on a larger bike and did just fine - they had a natural "feel" for riding, and experienced no problems. On the other hand, I've had friends who were not so naturally inclined to riding and who accidentally dropped their bikes a few times in the beginning. Needless to say, handling and picking up a smaller bike is very different than a big cruiser. Everyone I've known, though, who began with a smaller bike swiftly progressed to a bigger bike - it is the "nature of the beast," as the saying goes. So, to me, watching many new riders over the years it is all a question of the individual and what's best for them - the answer to this question can be different from one person to another, or so it seems.

If a person is comfortable with a bigger bike at the outset, I'd agree with everything that's already been said - that would be my preference, and it's what I did. I just bought the bike that attracted me at the outset, and that was twenty-eight years ago - and many bikes ago.

I'm sure you will have a sense of what's best for you.

Good luck finding your bike!:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts